360 Heat soak - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Heat soak

Can anyone please expalin to me what heat soak is. I have an issue with my 360 when its vary hot. Specifically when we go for a long drive on a hot day the temp needle stays normal position. I we stop and turn the engine off for 10 minutes or so, then start the car again, the engine starts but misses and sort of fluffs around until you get going again at normal road speed. Can anyone help with ideas before I go and visit my mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Mark- When you stop the car, the water pump stops circulating coolant and hot parts of the engine will heat up the coolant and any other parts of the car near the hot spots.

If you look in your owners manual, it tells you to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before shutting down after driving the car hard. This will keep the coolant circulating while the hot spots in the engine cool down.

One thing I also would check would be to make sure your intake manifold bolts are correctly torqued. These use very low torque values and tend to loosen as the car is driven. This can allow extra air where you do not really want it and can cause rough idle and differences in running depending on how hot the engine is.

Unless you know it was recently done, this is probably a good excuse to change the coolant and flush the cooling system.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that Taz I will certainly get the inlet manifold bolts checked, to my knowledge its probably never been done. It does seem to be a heat thing though. When I stop the car and leave the engine cover up, the car starts and runs normally, if I leave the lid down and start it then thats when the engine runs rough, again until the air starts to move through things. Thanks again, I will let you know when I get it checked next week.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Mark- In that case, a Challenge grille for the back might also help since it allows more of the hot air to escape.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
While we are on the subject. It's not only a good idea to idle the car or even better some easy cool down laps after spirited driving but you should also try to avoid holding your foot on the brake if you have been doing some hard braking as well as pushing the motor.

Durning track events/racing etc I not only try to let the engine cool a bit but if I have to sit at a complete stop I try to find a spot were the car will sit still without me having to hold the brakes or try to let the car roll a few inches every once in a while so I don't put all the heat from the pads into the rotor in one spot.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #6 of 10 Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Kevin- Good points.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #7 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Mark you may also be experiencing some fuel vaporisation in your fuel rails due to heat soak. This would cause the symptoms you're describing.

Returnless fuel systems have no mechanism to keep cool fuel in the rails as return type systems do, so when the car is shut off, the engine sits there and heat soaks for awhile, and if the fuel pressure drops in the rails, voila you have vaporisation.

What you might want to do is ask your technician to put a pressure gauge on your fuel rails and when you turn the car off, see if the pressure holds or it bleeds down. You should have check valves in your system back near the fuel pumps which should keep the fuel pressure high in the rails even with the engine shutoff, but if these check valves are leaking, it could cause the pressure to bleed off, and the fuel is sure to vaporise.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #8 of 10 Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Again, Im impressed with the quality of feed back I have gotten since posting this thread. Taz raised some interesting points, I will get the inlet manifold bolts checked and certainly the issue with fuel in the fuel rails will bear some scrutiny. The car is fitted with a Challenge rear grille and carbon fibre airboxes. The heat issue happens really as a result of just normal driving on hot days. Particularly if the car has been idling in traffic or in low speed zones. Again it manifests itself when you turn off and then shortly after restart, then is when it runs rough/ flt and almost stalls out. As you get moving it is normal. I have her booked in in a few weeks to get checked and will post an update. Thanks again.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Taz knows everything about these cars and has been super helpful for me!:thumbsup :
post #10 of 10 Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
Might also be worth having the signal voltages checked on the MAF's while your tech is in there, as these cause similar symptoms.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode