F430 Importing LHD 430 to GB - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Importing LHD 430 to GB

Hi,

Aside from going through the details via the UK DVLA website, has anyone here experience of importing a LHD car to the UK? Can headlights be adjusted for example?

I am looking at a car that would be supplied on export plates. It is a 2009 registration, originally registered in Italy.

Regards
Alan
active75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by active75 View Post
Hi,

Aside from going through the details via the UK DVLA website, has anyone here experience of importing a LHD car to the UK? Can headlights be adjusted for example?

I am looking at a car that would be supplied on export plates. It is a 2009 registration, originally registered in Italy.

Regards
Alan
It is a pretty straight forward process. Easiest to have a dealer take care of the paper work etc. Let me know if you want a recommendation.
Boxer is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 AM
Owner
 
kulferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 176
In the mid-90's I worked in the UK for a few years. Rather than trying to pick up a couple of used cars, I decided to ship a LHD Toyota Tercel and Honda Accord. Other than the the paperwork there wasn't really any issues with importing. In UK parlance the cars were "federal spec" which at the time I believe was more restrictive on emissions so no worries there. Just need to get them registered and an MOT, and bob's your uncle!

We're talking 15+ years now the circumstances may have changed but it was really so simple at the time. I would hope they haven't managed to screw it up in the meantime.

BTW...the Toyota Tercel garnered nearly as much attention in the UK as a Ferrari since the car did not even exist there. I would regularly get waves and thumbs up driving down the road. I felt a bit weird a first. Not something I ever had to deal with driving that vehicle in the US
kulferrari is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
It is a pretty straight forward process. Easiest to have a dealer take care of the paper work etc. Let me know if you want a recommendation.
Hi, and thanks.

Right now I am waiting on some more info from the dealer. I would like an SD2 report and also a guarantee the vehicle has not been involved in a serious accident. I have the VIN. The vehicle would be supplied on export plates as it was de-registered.

My situation is I live in France and the UK equally (ish). If I go to the UK with the car and register it, it appears I would have to purchase RHD headlamp units for the MOT.
The remainder I understand from the DVLA Import pack.
What would a dealer charge for this?

Regards
Alan
active75 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulferrari View Post
In the mid-90's I worked in the UK for a few years. Rather than trying to pick up a couple of used cars, I decided to ship a LHD Toyota Tercel and Honda Accord. Other than the the paperwork there wasn't really any issues with importing. In UK parlance the cars were "federal spec" which at the time I believe was more restrictive on emissions so no worries there. Just need to get them registered and an MOT, and bob's your uncle!

We're talking 15+ years now the circumstances may have changed but it was really so simple at the time. I would hope they haven't managed to screw it up in the meantime.

BTW...the Toyota Tercel garnered nearly as much attention in the UK as a Ferrari since the car did not even exist there. I would regularly get waves and thumbs up driving down the road. I felt a bit weird a first. Not something I ever had to deal with driving that vehicle in the US
Hi,

Thanks. The Tercel, did that eventually become the Starlet in the UK?

I think now the MOT centre has to sign to say that Headlamps ( for example) have been changed/adapted as well as the driver signing that they conform. So as it is nowadays, if there was an accident Insurers can back out of claims if it is proved that the owner has not complied.

Regards
Alan
active75 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Owner
 
kulferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 176
Not sure about the Starlet. One year I was failing MOT because one headlight was out. My mechanic who loved working on the car tried sourcing a new one through Toyota UK assuming that even though they didn't sell the car in the UK, they would be the best way of getting shipped. They wanted 93 pounds for the headlight. At the time that was almost $150. Instead I called my mother back in the US and had her go to Kmart and buy two and send them to me FEDEX. Cost me $8 for the two headlamps and $40 for second day air. I still haven't forgiven Toyota for trying to take advantage of me like that

I do remember having to install a fog light on the Accord to pass MOT. For some reason I did not have to do that on the Tercel because it was a newer vehicle. Found that odd at the time as that did not have the rear fog light either. I think if I had remained there longer I would have eventually had to add a fog light to the Tercel too. So I think there are some small things that may be necessary but nothing too drastic. They never even batted an eye about it being LHD.
kulferrari is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulferrari View Post
Not sure about the Starlet. One year I was failing MOT because one headlight was out. My mechanic who loved working on the car tried sourcing a new one through Toyota UK assuming that even though they didn't sell the car in the UK, they would be the best way of getting shipped. They wanted 93 pounds for the headlight. At the time that was almost $150. Instead I called my mother back in the US and had her go to Kmart and buy two and send them to me FEDEX. Cost me $8 for the two headlamps and $40 for second day air. I still haven't forgiven Toyota for trying to take advantage of me like that

I do remember having to install a fog light on the Accord to pass MOT. For some reason I did not have to do that on the Tercel because it was a newer vehicle. Found that odd at the time as that did not have the rear fog light either. I think if I had remained there longer I would have eventually had to add a fog light to the Tercel too. So I think there are some small things that may be necessary but nothing too drastic. They never even batted an eye about it being LHD.
Haha. Nice one with K Mart. Wonder if they have Scud headlamp units..?!
active75 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Alan- Those GD (RHD) units are ~2000 pounds sterling each new. Kind of expensive.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by active75 View Post
Hi, and thanks.

Right now I am waiting on some more info from the dealer. I would like an SD2 report and also a guarantee the vehicle has not been involved in a serious accident. I have the VIN. The vehicle would be supplied on export plates as it was de-registered.

My situation is I live in France and the UK equally (ish). If I go to the UK with the car and register it, it appears I would have to purchase RHD headlamp units for the MOT.
The remainder I understand from the DVLA Import pack.
What would a dealer charge for this?

Regards
Alan
You might want to check on the lights. On the 360, all that needed to be done was flipping a switch to convert the beams from LHD to RHD.
Boxer is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
You might want to check on the lights. On the 360, all that needed to be done was flipping a switch to convert the beams from LHD to RHD.
Many thanks all. I have found that the lights can be converted to "flat beam" which will suffice. Takes an hour at the dealer.

They are costly, as to be expected I suppose.

Regards

Alan
active75 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Alan- Those GD (RHD) units are ~2000 pounds sterling each new. Kind of expensive.
But you have to laugh, -- then maybe cry when you drive away.
active75 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
[QUOTE=active75;237084]Many thanks all. I have found that the lights can be converted to "flat beam" which will suffice. Takes an hour at the dealer.

They are costly, as to be expected I suppose.

Regards

Alan[/QUOTE}

So conversion is about GBP 100 if just an hour of labor.
Boxer is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Owner
 
NigelV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France
Ferrari Life Posts: 229
I swopped the lights from RHD to LHD of the 550 maranello by reversing a small metal plate sanwiched in the lights. If your lights are similar this may be an option. Cost zero. Time about 90 minutes. I made a post in the modern V12 on how to do it.
Nigel

'97 Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello
NigelV12 is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelV12 View Post
I swopped the lights from RHD to LHD of the 550 maranello by reversing a small metal plate sanwiched in the lights. If your lights are similar this may be an option. Cost zero. Time about 90 minutes. I made a post in the modern V12 on how to do it.
Nigel
Bonjour Nigel!

I found your post you made back in 2011. I dont think I can do this on these lights, but I can "flat beam" them which will do for the UK MOT (controle tecnique)

I also have a property in France- South of Angouleme, and I am wondering if it would be best to re register it in France. I think the TAX is about E3000.

Kind regards
Alan
active75 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Owner
 
NigelV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France
Ferrari Life Posts: 229
Alan, in addition to the Tax in France you will have to pay Ferrari about Euro 850 to get a new certificate of conformity for the French Authorities. As I understand it this is a France only specific not required in other EU countries! Some much for the respect for the single market. Also if the car has less than 5000km on the clock, it will not be counted as a used car which I think creates another taxation difficulty.
Nigel

'97 Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello
NigelV12 is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Thanks Nigel.

It seems to be more straightforward in the UK, especially if the "flat beam" conversion does the trick.

Regards

Alan
active75 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale