F430 Washing Your Ferrari - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Washing Your Ferrari

It's a question. Where do you wash your Ferraris? Are machine washes ok? where is a good place to wash your car around Philadelphia?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxckbs View Post
It's a question. Where do you wash your Ferraris? Are machine washes ok? where is a good place to wash your car around Philadelphia?

Thanks!
I take great pleasure from washing my Scud by hand. Great Guide here:-

Elite Detailer Ltd - Car Care Guides

Dave

Ferrari 430 Scuderia Blu Abu Dhabi and Carbon with Tricolore Stripe, Previous:Porsche 997.1 GT3 Cobalt Blue Clubsport with PCCB
post #3 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Wash mine myself. Early morning or late evening when it is coolest outside, and no direct sunlight. Wash wheels first, rinse bucket out, fill 2 buckets with grit guards, one soapy once clean water.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2

Last edited by markjayw; 02-18-2013 at 03:13 PM.

post #4 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
I personally would never machine wash a car like this. Here is a good link to get you started, and an interesting choice for a first post! Welcome.
How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car – Detailed Image
post #5 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Detail Image is such a great site and resource!

Answering the question in another direction, if you have a spyder, never go through car wash. Some coupe models can take a brushless car wash without much concern (I wouldn't do it with our 360 because of the mess it would make in the engine bay) and the chemicals are so harsh you risk long-term damage to the molding and trim.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe

Last edited by BluNart; 02-18-2013 at 12:58 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks all for replies, I have a coupe and I live in apartments so I think I would have to take the car out to wash it. Anybody has suggestions on reliable car wash service out there for regularly wash? I think most of the detailer would do fine on details but not sure on regular washes.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
While it's never popular with the owner's of the 'do it yourself' bays, you can bring your soap & water w/ sponges in 2 sealed buckets (remember them grit guards!) - use one for wheels and tips and another for remaining car. After a good dry a short ride is always a good move so to remove surface rust off the braking parts. Oh how much I'd love a full set of ceramics for my 360!

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
post #8 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Thanks all for replies, I have a coupe and I live in apartments so I think I would have to take the car out to wash it. Anybody has suggestions on reliable car wash service out there for regularly wash? I think most of the detailer would do fine on details but not sure on regular washes.
Just find a wand / pressure wash self serv place. Bring your own supplies and you are good to go.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #9 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
I used Griot's Spray on Car wash- water less, and can be done in your garage when it's cold.

works great. you use a microfiber to wipe it off.

supposedly the chemical in the liquid binds the dust and dirty, you wait 30 seconds and then lightly wipe the area up with the microfiber cloth like picking up dirty. then you let it dry for a few minutes and buff out the area with a clean cloth.

works really well...appears like its also waxed too

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #10 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for advises! I wonder if you can go through machine washes with paint protection films applied?

Gransport Guy, how do you use that product correctly? Do you spray it all over the car? windows and wheels too?

'06 F430 F1 '10 E63 AMG SOLD '09 TT MTM Stage 1 SOLD '07 GTI APR Stage 1 SOLD '11 COOPER S Stage 2+' 02 Ford Explorer '08 SLK 300
post #11 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 815
Quote:
Thanks for advises! I wonder if you can go through machine washes with paint protection films applied?

Gransport Guy, how do you use that product correctly? Do you spray it all over the car? windows and wheels too?
At least find a boy that can do the hand wash for you! There must be someone around your neiborghood!
But the machine wash if it was mine it would be out of the question!

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Owner

Quote:
Below is from their website, but in sort, yes you work in small sections. Spray, wait a few seconds, wipe clean, and move to next section. Then when all done, buff to shine.

"
Use Spray-On Car Wash to clean all surfaces of your vehicle such as paint, glass, fiberglass, vinyl, plastic (be very gentle when cleaning dirty plastic as it scratches easily), wheels, and rubber trim. You may use this cleaner on a wet or dry surface. The lubricous emulsions work to loosen and dissolve dirt, oil, greases, bird droppings and grime. In order to reduce the possibility of inducing scratches while cleaning it is important to follow these easy steps. Be especially careful on surfaces coated with mud, sand and soil.
Work from the top down, saving the dirtiest portions of your vehicle for last. Work in small sections and do not allow product to dry on the vehicle. Wipe in a side-to-side motion and not in circles. Fold our soft micro fiber cloth into quarters. Spray a small amount onto the cloth and then spray a small section of your vehicle, coating the surface with a moderate quantity of Spray-On Car Wash. An extra spray on bird droppings is a good idea. Give the product 15 seconds to sit on the surface to lift the dirt before removing.
Using our soft micro fiber cloth wipe the area very gently in one direction to remove the dirt using a wipe & lift motion. Turn the cloth frequently. Apply more Spray-On Car Wash if necessary. It is very important to be very gentle and not bear down with the first few wipes while removing the majority of surface dirt.
Using a second, clean micro fiber cloth, lightly buff any remaining product from the surface. If necessary a light misting and buffing will bring out a nice shine. Turn your cloth frequently and always use a clean side of the cloth for the final buff.
As your micro fiber cloth gets soiled, replace it with a new one and as often as necessary. Depending on how dirty your vehicle is, 3 to 4 cloths will be necessary. Micro fiber is machine washable for many years of use.
You can follow up with our Paint Cleaning Clay, polishes, waxes or Sealants for a full detail."

F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #13 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gransport Guy View Post
Below is from their website, but in sort, yes you work in small sections. Spray, wait a few seconds, wipe clean, and move to next section. Then when all done, buff to shine.

"
Use Spray-On Car Wash to clean all surfaces of your vehicle such as paint, glass, fiberglass, vinyl, plastic (be very gentle when cleaning dirty plastic as it scratches easily), wheels, and rubber trim. You may use this cleaner on a wet or dry surface. The lubricous emulsions work to loosen and dissolve dirt, oil, greases, bird droppings and grime. In order to reduce the possibility of inducing scratches while cleaning it is important to follow these easy steps. Be especially careful on surfaces coated with mud, sand and soil.
Work from the top down, saving the dirtiest portions of your vehicle for last. Work in small sections and do not allow product to dry on the vehicle. Wipe in a side-to-side motion and not in circles. Fold our soft micro fiber cloth into quarters. Spray a small amount onto the cloth and then spray a small section of your vehicle, coating the surface with a moderate quantity of Spray-On Car Wash. An extra spray on bird droppings is a good idea. Give the product 15 seconds to sit on the surface to lift the dirt before removing.
Using our soft micro fiber cloth wipe the area very gently in one direction to remove the dirt using a wipe & lift motion. Turn the cloth frequently. Apply more Spray-On Car Wash if necessary. It is very important to be very gentle and not bear down with the first few wipes while removing the majority of surface dirt.
Using a second, clean micro fiber cloth, lightly buff any remaining product from the surface. If necessary a light misting and buffing will bring out a nice shine. Turn your cloth frequently and always use a clean side of the cloth for the final buff.
As your micro fiber cloth gets soiled, replace it with a new one and as often as necessary. Depending on how dirty your vehicle is, 3 to 4 cloths will be necessary. Micro fiber is machine washable for many years of use.
You can follow up with our Paint Cleaning Clay, polishes, waxes or Sealants for a full detail."

Got it, thank you very much.

'06 F430 F1 '10 E63 AMG SOLD '09 TT MTM Stage 1 SOLD '07 GTI APR Stage 1 SOLD '11 COOPER S Stage 2+' 02 Ford Explorer '08 SLK 300
post #14 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
At least find a boy that can do the hand wash for you! There must be someone around your neiborghood!
But the machine wash if it was mine it would be out of the question!
I found some places that do complete hand washes, thanks for concerning .

post #15 of 23 Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
I found some places that do complete hand washes, thanks for concerning .
Sounds like a winner, just make sure they use at LEAST 2 buckets, and bring some lambs wool mitts with you for them to use only on your car, if they don't already use these tools. Might want to invest in good microfiber drying towels too, again, for your car only.

The car wash process is the easiest way to put swirl marks on the paint. Conversely, if your paint isn't "perfect" to begin with, then the basic hand wash probably won't hurt it much. Good luck.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-01-2013, 11:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Amazing how owners can front for a Ferrari but won't drop $20 for a hand wash. I would never even put a Toyota through a machine wash... Ferrari? Ludicrous.

+1 on reading up on detailed image. Wash wheels first. Dump all solution and rise bucket (so important. wheels hold so much crap that can scratch your paint) for new soap and water + grit guard at bottom. Then do the car top to bottom, soft sheepskin mitt. Rinse. Electric Leaf blower / vaccum to get rid of water in crack. Dry with waffle microfiber towel (that is NEVER exposed to dirt). Best way to keep the paint perfect, scratch and swirl free. Hand wax after, and I always use a brand new microfiber for wax portion.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightz71 View Post
Amazing how owners can front for a Ferrari but won't drop $20 for a hand wash. I would never even put a Toyota through a machine wash... Ferrari? Ludicrous.

+1 on reading up on detailed image. Wash wheels first. Dump all solution and rise bucket (so important. wheels hold so much crap that can scratch your paint) for new soap and water + grit guard at bottom. Then do the car top to bottom, soft sheepskin mitt. Rinse. Electric Leaf blower / vaccum to get rid of water in crack. Dry with waffle microfiber towel (that is NEVER exposed to dirt). Best way to keep the paint perfect, scratch and swirl free. Hand wax after, and I always use a brand new microfiber for wax portion.
Flightz
It is not a money problem here. You are thinking it wrong and stop being "amazed" as some owners do fast washes regularly and make it up by putting the car through days of expensive detailing afterward. To be honest, I don't even care doing a $200 wash every few days. The problem here was that I couldn't find any hand wash place close to where i live. And I don't want to do it myself either. And I was curious if the paint will be damaged by the machine or not and it does do damages. So I ended up hiring few guys to come over every week to get the car cleaned. But thanks for your input and welcome to FL.

Last edited by oxckbs; 03-04-2013 at 01:34 AM.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Shell Soft Care auto wash doesn't scratch. At least here in Switzerland they must also be zero polluting, ie, only pure water as residue. Can't imagine the chemicals overly strong but I may be wrong. Even the Spider looks fabulous.

I take my cars to (sorted by preference)

1 Hand wash

2 Hand jet DIY

3 Auto soft care but not very often

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Owner

Quote:
Flightz
It is not a money problem here. You are thinking it wrong and stop being "amazed" as some owners do fast washes regularly and make it up by putting the car through days of expensive detailing afterward. To be honest, I don't even care doing a $200 wash every few days. .
+1.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #20 of 23 Old 03-05-2013, 01:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Quote:
Flightz
It is not a money problem here. You are thinking it wrong and stop being "amazed" as some owners do fast washes regularly and make it up by putting the car through days of expensive detailing afterward. To be honest, I don't even care doing a $200 wash every few days. The problem here was that I couldn't find any hand wash place close to where i live. And I don't want to do it myself either. And I was curious if the paint will be damaged by the machine or not and it does do damages. So I ended up hiring few guys to come over every week to get the car cleaned. But thanks for your input and welcome to FL.
My mistake, full services car washes are so readily available where I didn't even think twice that some owners wouldn't have easy access to some.

It just pains me to see such high quality paint get battered by machines.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode