Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Modern V8s: 360, F430 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/)
-   -   F430 will higher weight increase or decrease camber? (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/19986-will-higher-weight-increase.html)

johan6504 01-29-2013 07:53 AM

will higher weight increase or decrease camber?

I am currently working on my chassi settings and are trying different weights to see how the car behaves with different weights. I am measuring height, rake and camber.

I have always been under the impression that the neg camber will increase as the car gets pressed down but at the rear I think I am getting the opposite. Are my measurements wrong or am I really getting less negative camber with more weight in the car?

StefVan 01-29-2013 12:58 PM

Johan, I thought only lowering increases the negative camber unless you load the car with a huge excessive weight?

tazandjan 01-29-2013 03:13 PM

Johan- If you make yourself a drawing of the suspension looking at it from the front (or rear), you will be able to see the arc through which the suspension will travel if the car is lowered by extra weight.

The uneven length A arms are designed to minimize this arc, but it still exists, as is easily seen when the car is on a lift.

johan6504 01-30-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazandjan (Post 232930)
Johan- If you make yourself a drawing of the suspension looking at it from the front (or rear), you will be able to see the arc through which the suspension will travel if the car is lowered by extra weight.

The uneven length A arms are designed to minimize this arc, but it still exists, as is easily seen when the car is on a lift.

OK, I'll try to take a look... Not sure it is absolutely necessary, I am probably just trying to bee too precise in my set up ;-)

I am now down to 0.1 or 0.2 degree difference in camber right to left. Maybe that is good enough?

tazandjan 01-30-2013 08:11 AM

Johan- Alignment specs are usually plus or minus 0.5 degree, so that is well within spec. Since the shims come in specific thicknesses, difficult to get it perfect unless you want to make thinner shims by machining them.

johan6504 01-30-2013 08:27 AM

I have shims in 4,3,2,1 mm so I should be able to get within 0.2. I think the shims comes in 1.5, 2, 5 etc but I don't have all the sizes...