F430 F430 with high miles - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
F430 with high miles

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of trading my 2004 Gallardo Coupe for a 2007 F430 Spider (red/tan)
The car has however (hope your sitting down) 35k miles on it. To note it has a brand new clutch, brake pads, and has all service records. I looked at the car the other day and noticed the two seats are pretty worn on the bolster but the seller assured me redying the seats will take care of the wear and the seats will look brand new. The other big issue is that it has a lot of rock chips on the hood area as the previous owners did not have a clear bra on it. The seller again stated that they will airbrush the chips and put a clear bra on it. The bumper was repainted due to rock chips as I confirmed it with the The door handles inside are pretty worn but was goining to replace them with carbon ones anyway as they will melt here in the Texas coast sun. Last night the dealer called me and he said his detailer spent 4 hrs polishing the car etc. and is justifiable for a second look. Truthfully from 4ft away the car looks amazing but when you look at under flourescent light you see every scratch etc. so I have to go back and look. My question to you is stay away or go for it. Again it's a 2007 F430 Spider $119k is not bad but I will lose my arse in a few years trading it in with milage in the 40's?
Thanks for any advice and hope to get a Ferrari soon.
2007 Ferrari 430 Spyder | Houston, Texas | Autodynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Keep looking. After you respray hood, plus bumper, plus repair the seats you can get a lower mile car in better condition for less money.

Where are you located?

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #3 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
I don't think you should be afraid of this car. Granted, the mileage might be "high" relative to some of its peers, but it is still approximately <6k miles per year, so consider that relative to another car.
You might want an estimate on "paint correction" services - sometimes they can run $1k - $1.5k for the cosmetic stuff. If the seller is willing to work with you on the "worn out" parts, then take the car seriously.
Also, with regard to the depreciation, remember you're being given the up front discount on the sale price. If we assume these cars are going to depreciate about $6-$8k per year, then you may still be OK. If you buy in the $1-teens-k, you'll probably end up selling it close to $100k, depending on your term.
If you plan to drive it, don't be afraid of the miles. If you are looking at this as a collectible (which it wouldn't really be - the F430 production numbers will see to that), then you need to up your budget and be willing to part with the dough.
If you're serious, run it through a thorough PPI and see what comes back. If the deal is still palatable, buy it, drive it, and smile like a crazy person!
Good luck!

post #4 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 61
Based on the other cars in his inventory he owns that car for far less than 119k. It's a 4 owner car. I think their is 2 ways to look at purchasing a Ferrari. Either step up and pay the money for a super clear, 1 owner, very low mileage car from a Ferrari dealer with all service history at that location. OR, purchase a rat from a place like this, work the price as cheap as you can get it (personally I think he owns that car for low 100's) drive it, enjoy it, and resell it to someone who is going to use it for the same thing. I chose the first route but the trade off is I'm always stressed leaving it anywhere in fear of something happening to it where it will need paint and drastically lose value. With a car like this that has hit everything except the lottery already then if it needs paint or something its not going to affect the value much. Good luck!

07 Ferrari F430 F1 Rosso over Nero
13 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo Rosso
13 Audi S5 - Commuter Car
08 Maserati GranTurismo Nero Carbonio over Cuoio (sold)
08 Maserati GranTurismo Bianco Eldorado over Rosso (sold)
post #5 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Welcome to FerrariLife KenSwiss You mentionned most of all cosmestic aspects of the car, the visible tip of the iceberg. I would be more concerned by what you can't see A well maintained high mileage F430 shouldn't be a problem regarding the engine. There are F430's with over 60.000 miles and are in great condition. But what you don't know, is how the car has been driven and especially when cold started. What's the condition of the suspension elements, F1 actuator, gearbox synchros, E-Diff, etc. I would put most of the efforts in checking the mechanical aspects of this car because a major failure would cost you well more than the potential depreciation. Good luck
post #6 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Thanks StefVan

Saw your location " Switzerland" :-) I was born in Brig, Switzerland. My whole family is Swiss. But somehow my Dad said let's move to the hottest - Humid place on earth... Gulf Coast of Texas! But I get to go back every year and see my family and some of the best memories is watching F1 on TV with my Uncles... and of course seeing a Ferrari scream up the Alp roads.
Back to what's important:
I will get a PPI done on the car for sure before I buy. I am test driving it today with my girlfriend. The thing is that I will need a new clutch soon on my car and don't want to dump more money in my car if I'm going to trade it in. Or I keep my car another 2 years to make the clutch costs etc.make sense. Not trying to get in a heated Lambo vs Ferrari chat but I think both cars are really nice and we all should be fortunate to be able to drive/own these types of cars. They are really a works of art that you can touch and use.
I will get the PPI at Autodynamica as they have extensive history with Ferrari here in the Houston area.
Thanks Ferrari Life!
post #7 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
Ken
Welcome to Ferrari Life. I would recommend Mark from SphereMotorsports for the PPI. He knows these cars and he has serviced my car. Good luck on your search fellow Houstonian !

Last edited by CozFCar; 01-26-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Word
post #8 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Pat- Does he have an SD3?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 45
High mileage f430

My 2005 F430 has over 60k miles. No problems. It has been a great car.

Ryan Jones
Exotic Auto Recycling
"Leading used parts supplier for Ferrari, Maserati & Lamborghini"
916-638-8000
855-638-8878
www.exoticautorecycling.com
post #10 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 AM
Owner

Noticed this thread "reactivated" after a little pause.
I have to confess I'm considering the car the OP has mentioned, and I have found this thread to be "illuminating." Nothing here shared so far that would make me NOT want to buy this car - cosmetic stuff can be remedied. But, it doesn't appear anyone has PPI results on this car (do they?) that they might be willing to share.
I would also agree that this car should be in the $100k's somewhere. Manheim values for a car with this many miles are MAX $108k. So, if he's in it around $108k, he's looking for a $10k commission, since current "ask" is $118,800.
I did notice, however, that this exact car was on eBay. The highest bid was $108,100, and it was not sold to that buyer explaining "reserve not met." Interesting.
Anyone with more info on this exact car, please share.
Is the OP actively posting on here anymore?
post #11 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 61
430 manheim values

Read info about high mileage 430..reference to manheim for values..how to register to obtain data..looks like you have be in the used car auction business

thanks don knudsen
post #12 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutzl99 View Post
Read info about high mileage 430..reference to manheim for values..how to register to obtain data..looks like you have be in the used car auction business

thanks don knudsen
Hey, welcome to FLife!
Nope, not in the business. I have a close friend in the car business, and he feeds me with relevant lingo and reference material.
This car is nice, but it has a lot of unknowns in my mind.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
check out mine f/s 954-591-9360 Sienna Motors | For all your quality, pre-owned vehicle needs in South Florida!

WWW.SIENNAMOTORS.COM
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/SIENNAMOTORS
954-591-9360
post #14 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
this one is nice but you can find nicer for that money, or spend a little more and buy something that will hold its value

WWW.SIENNAMOTORS.COM
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/SIENNAMOTORS
954-591-9360
post #15 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Being new to Ferrari ownership after buying a F430 last year, the consternation over mileage is crazy. The fact is that there are so many <15K and less than <10K cars for sale means that any higher mileage car is going to have to sell at a discount.

A couple of things I considered.

Even if you have the money, brinksmanship is important to many of us and we don't want to feel that we got a bad deal. So you should pay less for a higher mileage car, but high mileage means a discount not that the car is without value. If you plan to put miles on the car you might as well buy a higher mileage car rather than taking the mileage discount beating yourself. Use the cost to restore to pristine to drive the discount. Cost to respray, reupholstery, mechanicals...

You still see 2000 F360s on the market with asking prices of $80-90K and the floor for a 2007 F430 should be higher. If you buy a 911 or M5 or more "ordinary" sports car you get hit by depreciation. I bought a 2006 M5 that listed at $96K, drove it 6 years and 80K miles and sold it for $28.5K. I don't think you'd lose more than that on Ferrari depreciation and may do better. So if I drive my F430 and the miles cause some depreciation it's ok and not dissimilar to more ordinary cars.

To worry about cars mileage or wear take the fun out of ownership. You own the car, not the other way around.

But with Ferraris seems that mileage and F1 vs. manual is something that grind at the owners and are the subject of v v many posts.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
Alan,

You HAD one listed for around $119k, I was watching that car. Did you sell it? If so, and if you're up to it, would you PM me the sale price? Just curious. If you say no, that's cool too. The one you have in inventory now is out of my budget. Thanks.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Owner

Brief update:
As of today, it appears that this car (2007/36k miles/Houston, TX) may have been sold. It has disappeared from most of the online sites, and also no longer appears on the seller's own website.
Movin' on.....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode