F430 ECS's Capristo Bracket Fix. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
ECS's Capristo Bracket Fix.

A while back I contributed to a thread about the issues with the Capristo mounting brackets on the F430. The car I repair finally made it's way back in for the annual service, so I snapped a couple shots of the mounts to share.

It's a basic turn buckle design, with rod ends to allow the exhaust freedom to move during expansion and contraction. My favorite part of the system is how easy it is to get the exhaust tips aligned evenly through the bumper cut outs.

These mounts have been on for about a year now with several thousand miles driven. They seem to be holding up nicely.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
Looks.....different
post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Sarcasm noted.

It certainly looks better than the springy shambles that were provided originally. I would've liked to replace the dog leg bracket attached to the tips flange with a 1pc. CNC plate to capture the upper rod end, budget restrictions dictated a simpler approach.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Sarcasm noted.

It certainly looks better than the springy shambles that were provided originally. I would've liked to replace the dog leg bracket attached to the tips flange with a 1pc. CNC plate to capture the upper rod end, budget restrictions dictated a simpler approach.
Apologies. None intended.

Was referring to the contraption. It's very different from anything I have ever seen. How do the arms work to accommodate flex during expansion? Just curious coz they look pretty fixed.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

It allows as much, possibly more flex as the factory system would have. The factory exhaust is mounted to the transaxle via fixed brackets which allow very little movement.

The exhaust is supported off the transaxle which is directly attached to the engine and not the chassis, there isn't a significant amount of flex. The exhaust mounts to the headers via a donut shaped gasket and bolts with springs, which allows some flexiblity.

The heim joints at each end of the turn buckle allow the exhaust to move fore and aft freely. When the engine rocks front to back or side to side, the exhaust will follow.

The movement of the exhaust system due to heat shouldn't be extreme. From my perspective, the springy contraption Capristo uses poorly supports the weight of the exhaust system and may very contribute to the load placed on pipe weld joints and add to the deterioration of these parts over time.

I'm more interested in properly supporting the weight of the exhaust system and relieving the headers of that burden than allowing endless distance for things to expand and contract.

I found this to be a middle ground between the original fixed mounting and Capristo's complete floating system.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
It allows as much, possibly more flex as the factory system would have. The factory exhaust is mounted to the transaxle via fixed brackets which allow very little movement.

The exhaust is supported off the transaxle which is directly attached to the engine and not the chassis, there isn't a significant amount of flex. The exhaust mounts to the headers via a donut shaped gasket and bolts with springs, which allows some flexiblity.

The heim joints at each end of the turn buckle allow the exhaust to move fore and aft freely. When the engine rocks front to back or side to side, the exhaust will follow.

The movement of the exhaust system due to heat shouldn't be extreme. From my perspective, the springy contraption Capristo uses poorly supports the weight of the exhaust system and may very contribute to the load placed on pipe weld joints and add to the deterioration of these parts over time.

I'm more interested in properly supporting the weight of the exhaust system and relieving the headers of that burden than allowing endless distance for things to expand and contract.

I found this to be a middle ground between the original fixed mounting and Capristo's complete floating system.
To be honest, this is definitely a refreshing perspective. Never thought of it this way. Makes sense as well. How are your findings so far?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

I put this together 2yrs. ago, but the car has only seen about 2500mi. So far so good. I'm hoping it sees more drive time this year so I can get more data.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode