360 Update to my "Front to Rear" Diognostic Thread - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 109
Update to my "Front to Rear" Diognostic Thread

Hello to all!

I spent 5 Hours yesterday in the Bay with the Ferrari Tech at Ferrari. Took every under-cover off front to rear and acess panel. Here is what we found:

Timing: Was done VERY recently - along with new Tensioners...still nice and shiny with "Blue" looking Gasket on them....belt is in great shape.....and per the SD2, timing on right and left side are almost identical....so it looks like no worries there.

F1: I had found that the F1 pump was replaced in Jan 2012....but yesterday revealed that the F1 Relays / Actuators and even the TCU had also been replaced/updated. Should be no worries ther either.

Clutch/Throttle: Clutch wear was as expected.....probably the only MAJOR thing that I really will go ahead and replace ASAP (Next 2 months) ....that way I know the clutch bearings/springs/flywheel etc are all new. Adjusted PIS value.....also used SD2 to make sure throttle etc were all calibrated properly.

Axle Movement: The Left to right movement is OEM spec per ferrari tech.....they are floating axles and will travel....no other movement found (which would have indicated a faulty axle or other component)

Grinding sound from rear driver side hub: No noticable cause - removed pads/calipers/rotors....cleaned all...nothing worked....Tech still did not think it was a bearing or axle problem, but also said that it must be....so the first thing on my list within the week will be to order new bearings for both sides and go ahead and replace them.

The biggest issue: The *&%$ who replaced the oil last, put almost 3.5 to 4 quarts too much in it on refilling!!!!!! Supposedly the oil was replaced 1 1/2 months ago...and although it was not "Dirty" it was VERY brown and smelled funny. Possibly (and most likely) was the incorrect oil....

Did a complete fluid service to rectify....and since I have not really driven the car hard since my purchase, no long term issues like oil getting in the manifold or blowing out of places it should not were noticed.

Overall - a COMPLETELY different acting vehicle now....all in a great way! Took it for a 2 hour run this AM all highway....and everything about the response / sound / shifting etc...was all enhanced dramatically.

Once I figure out the noise issue, and replace the clutch assmebly....it should be a "New as Mechanically possible" vehicle as it can be.

Thanks again to everyone here for all of the tips and questions to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Now you are making progress. Always helps to have someone who knows what they are doing.

Do not replace the flywheel unless it is too far gone to surface, which it likely is not. Your tech will be able to tell you when he does the clutch job and can inspect.

Are you getting the grinding noise when she is pointed straight ahead or only in turns?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Now you are making progress. Always helps to have someone who knows what they are doing.

Do not replace the flywheel unless it is too far gone to surface, which it likely is not. Your tech will be able to tell you when he does the clutch job and can inspect.

Are you getting the grinding noise when she is pointed straight ahead or only in turns?

Agreed! Starting point is certainly finding the right tech with the right tools and willing to spend the time to answer the questions of a Ferrari "FNG".

Copy that on the Flywheel - he actually said the same thing - especially considering the cost.

As far as the noise...it is more of a pulsed sound rather than a continuous thing....and does change frequency depending on wheel rotation....so it is only occuring at certain points of a full 360 degree wheel spin...and only happens in the following conditions:

A: Right hand turns...either from a stop, or at speed but a sweeping right hand turn.
B: When the car is going straight, but is slightly inclined.....meaning Driver to Passenger side upsloped...causing increased load on Rear Drivers side wheel.
C: Braking from say 40 mph to stop/almost stopped.

At speed - going down highway 65-75MPH....no noise is occuring or is so slight it is un-noticable.

We took the wheel off, removed the pads, cleaned the rotor and other parts. Also - we grabbed the rotor and tried to move it...to indicate a bad bearing...but it was as solid as a rock. Turned the rotor by hand with wheel removed and could not duplicate the sound.

Have priced a new bearing from recambi - but very reluctant to click "purchase" because I really dont think it is a bearing issue.

Have not removed the axle boot and tried to grease it yet - only other option I can think of besides removing the hub and bearing to inspect.

Any thoughts?

post #4 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Owner
Elite Member

I would try an anti-slip additive for the limited slip. Your tech can advise you. Any possibility the parking brake cable is rubbing?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
I would try an anti-slip additive for the limited slip. Your tech can advise you. Any possibility the parking brake cable is rubbing?

This may sound a little crazy - but I used some purple "Plumb-line Chalk" and dusted the surface of the rotor last night. Went around my culdesac with no braking....and after immediate inspection last night (right hand turn into garage at home) noticed that a light "band" was on the rotor surface but was not continuous around the whole rotor - and I am thinking now that it has something to do with the E-Brake Pad/Caliper/Mechanism etc....because of where the band is in relation to the middle of the ebrake pad.

Will take that apart this weekend and see....and I will also ask about the Lim-Slip.

One thing is certain - once I get to the bottom of this, I will at least be the expert on "strange noise coming from 360 rear wheel" topics. LOL
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Update here...was off Wednesday on an inclement weather day, so after updating my tool inventory with a few added Ferrari Specific Items - I took off the rear wheel, Rear Main Brake Caliper and the Ebrake Caliper and Rotor.

Found that the cv boots / hub bearing etc were all in very good spec, but that the E-Brake was actually not fully retreating from the Rotor far enough to clear the rotor entirely when it was released.

This has lead to the noise I am getting once everything is warmed up and when I am turning in certain ways / putting more load on that wheel etc. The rotor is actually rubbing the ebrake pad enough to have the pulsed-squeel.

Didnt have enough time to completely run thru the caliper in terms of cleaning etc, or take out the floor pan and adjust the cable for the ebrake....but I did re-grease everything on both calipers / applied "squeel grease" to pads etc and re assembled everything, which actually did help reduce the noise by 50% or so.

My goal this Sunday will be to take it back apart, adjust the cable, fully clean the ebrake caliper and will hopefully have the noise problem finally fixed....without have to actually replace the caliper itself.

As a side note - I found that with the proper tools, and the 1st and 2nd Workshop Volumes from FerrariData, doing brake and suspension work on this car seems about as easy as the first vehicle I ever purchased that I could wrench on with disc brakes (Chevy Blazer)...and that is certainly good to know. It seems that as long as the work involved does not require an SD2, most maintenance items can be DIY with only parts costs and personal labor time involved, if you are so inclined.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Very true about the cars being simple to work on if one is so inclined.

Please post some pics of the rear e-brake adjustment repair if possible.

Love pics especially in colour
post #8 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Affirmative, they are fairly logically laid out if you are methodical. I would also download the F430 WSM. The illustrations on the brake system are better than those in the 360 manuals.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode