F430 Considering trading the Scuderia for a CGT... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 79
Considering trading the Scuderia for a CGT...

I have been researching these for a couple of months. I really like my Scuderia and I'm either going to keep it and buy a 997TT Cab as a daily driver or trade the Scuderia on a CGT. I love how raw the Scud is which is probably why I like the CGT. I also like targas. I love having a very rare car.

Anyone have an opinion?

Here is what I found in my search. I figured some of this might benefit someone else.

Values:

This probably isnt shocking but it appears the following have the biggest impact on value:
1. Mileage (far and away)
2. Year (2004 cars are worth less)
3. Maintenance history and recent clutch
4. Color (to a lesser degree)
5. Sold by a dealer or private owner.

I tracked everything for sale in the US and everything sold I could find (some good posts on sales in various forums).

The best I can tell - the calculator goes like this (USA only)
-Start at $400k for a zero mile 2005 car.
-Subtract $10 for every mile
-Subtract $25k for a 2004
-If you dont have a recent clutch or excellent MNT history subtract $25k
- Rare color (anything other than silver) not sure yet
- I think private sales are going for a bit less.

Maintenance:
There is a ton of data on this out there (lots of drama). At first I was very scared of the maintenance costs but it appears they can be manageable. The big issue tends to be the clutch but there a are folks out there getting 20k miles or more on a clutch if its driven properly. I figure if I get one with a recent clutch and drive it properly - it can last a long time. I get conflicting data about the valves needing to be done every 4 years. Anyone know the real story? For someone who will drive 1500 miles per year my guess is this is also over-blown?

Bottom line - I am figuring $7k per year in Maintenance. I assume most years are just an oil change and every few years there is a larger expense.

The only thing I'm really worried about is how low the car is. My driveway wont be an issue but I want to drive the car and worry about what issues I might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Scud, to me, is much prettier than a CGT, even if the CGT is rarer and has an exotic drivetrain. How about a 16M as an alternative?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Scud, to me, is much prettier than a CGT, even if the CGT is rarer and has an exotic drivetrain. How about a 16M as an alternative?
I really like the 16M with the top down. I dont care for how it looks with the top up. The lines are broken for me. Most of the convertibles I like tend to be hard-top or targas. I like the SA, 458 Spider, any car as a GTS (I had a F355 GTS). Also my bro has a 430 spider so its a bit too similar to that.

Cars I was also considering:
1. 458 spider
2. 12C Spider

post #4 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

You are on a Ferrari site, so you know we are going to pick the 458 Spider in that case.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I almost bit the CGT bullet ended up with the 16M.

The lowest I found was 245k with 12,000 miles as they have gone up 25k since then.

My issue was it's a car that can bite hard and not forgiving.

The dealer I was going back n forth with said there are very few CGT's out there that haven't been tossed off the road and the ones that haven't will.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
You are on a Ferrari site, so you know we are going to pick the 458 Spider in that case.
I cant pay over sticker for a 458 since we all know what the depreciation curve will look like eventually. The CGT is actually quite a bit cheaper when you factor everything and much more rare....
post #7 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheguy View Post
I really like the 16M with the top down. I dont care for how it looks with the top up. The lines are broken for me. Most of the convertibles I like tend to be hard-top or targas. I like the SA, 458 Spider, any car as a GTS (I had a F355 GTS). Also my bro has a 430 spider so its a bit too similar to that.

Cars I was also considering:
1. 458 spider
2. 12C Spider

I have to say the previous week i was in Vienna at the official Ferrari Vienna dealer and he is also the McLaren dealer for Vienna.I got into a Hardtop and a Spider MP4-12C,and i have to say that they are freaking awesome.But then come the moment when i saw the Italian divas',and i though well that's a McLaren but this is a Ferrari.I am not saying that McLaren builds bad cars,i actually really like them but Ferrari will always stand out of the crowd.And let's get this straight,Ferrari plays in a class of her own,and McLaren tried to get with the MP4-12C in that category,but you simply cannot beat the BOSS,and they did not achieve it.There was also a comparisor from the UK car show 5th Gear about McLaren and the 458 Italia and at the beggining they were excited with the McLaren but after the comparison they were disappointed and said the 458 is the deal to go,and to tell you something i was not surprised of the result.You know McLarens philosophy was the same as Nissan's when they built the GTR,they wanted a sports car that anyone car drive agresive easily,but that means that you need a lot of computer systems to handle the car's power for the driver,and for a REAL driver that means that the car cannot become one with him and that means the car can't make you smile all the time,because it is not 100% in your own hands,it's not 100% what you want,it is doing 100% what it is tought to do by it's computer systems and it drives 100% as McLaren or Nissan or any automaker set it to drive.And you know how i call such a sports car,i call it a total disappointment and a complete waste of money,because if i'm going to spend a couple of hundred thousand of my money i want something EPIC,and no computer driven sports car can be EPIC.So i think i helped you to get a small taste of what McLaren built and what Ferrari built,and i said nothing of the above because this is a Ferrari forum,i told it because this is the truth behind theese cars.

Alex

The link for the comparison of 5th Gear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahsIOVx93zs
post #8 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

What else fits this bill better? As I have had the chance to own many cars over the years my critieria for the perfect car has narrowed to this:

Normally aspirated vs Turbo = NA
Raw vs refined = Raw
Cab vs Coupe = Cab (Ideally targa or retractable hard top)
Manual vs DCT/F1 = Manual
Performance = Important
Sound = Important
Rarety = Important
post #9 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Quote:
What else fits this bill better? As I have had the chance to own many cars over the years my critieria for the perfect car has narrowed to this:

Raw vs refined = Raw
Performance = Important
Sound = Important
Rarety = Important
What do you find so appealing to a manual transmision?
post #10 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Owner

Quote:

Raw vs refined = Raw
Performance = Important
Sound = Important
Rarety = Important
Driving 1500 miles the CGT makes sense and it checks all the boxes.

Another member here who owns one along with a 16M says it is like driving a science project.

Only other car I would suggest - 575SA manual.
post #11 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Alexandros View Post
What do you find so appealing to a manual transmision?
Clearly a personal preference but more fun to drive. More engaging / exciting.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Driving 1500 miles the CGT makes sense and it checks all the boxes.

Another member here who owns one along with a 16M says it is like driving a science project.

Only other car I would suggest - 575SA manual.
Funny. I agree - owned a Pozzi / Red 575SA manual. Great car - extremely hard to find. Less than 50 made.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Funny. I agree - owned a Pozzi / Red 575SA manual. Great car - extremely hard to find. Less than 50 made.
I knew that

Now go get it back!
post #14 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I knew that

Now go get it back!
I really did like that car but it wasnt the answer for me (at the time I needed to sell it to free up some cash).. Its clearly a GT car - not raw and didnt love the sound (even after the capristo switch). I thought the combo of raw scud and GT 575SA was going to be the ticket. It taught me a couple of things - first I really miss having a convertible and second I can only have one super-car at a time. I travel a ton and have kids. Having two cars I rarely drive didnt make sense.

Its very hard to sell my Scuderia. We have bonded.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Owner

Quote:
I really did like that car but it wasnt the answer for me (at the time I needed to sell it to free up some cash).. Its clearly a GT car - not raw and didnt love the sound (even after the capristo switch). I thought the combo of raw scud and GT 575SA was going to be the ticket. It taught me a couple of things - first I really miss having a convertible and second I can only have one super-car at a time. I travel a ton and have kids. Having two cars I rarely drive didnt make sense.

Its very hard to sell my Scuderia. We have bonded.
I understand which is why I sold the 612.

Looking for something this spring - no idea what it will be but it would be nice to compliment the 16M.

The Scud is IMO way undervalued - it's replacement will be 350k and not a whole lot better.

Hopefully Eric will chime in and offer his thoughts on the CGT.
post #16 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Quote:

Raw vs refined = Raw
Performance = Important
Sound = Important
Rarety = Important
Has my vote

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #17 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Attractive vs unattractive?

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #18 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Attractive vs unattractive?
I think if you took a poll and asked if people think the CGT is attractive the vast majority would say yes. Either way I think its beautiful.
post #19 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 239
I may be in a minority but I have never liked the CGT.
post #20 of 30 Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:

Raw vs refined = Raw
Performance = Important
Sound = Important
Rarety = Important
670-4 SV is way more rare than a CGT. Only 180 made, and only 35 in USA. Way easier to drive than CGT, also front lift.

Maybe Ford GT?

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode