360 360 coupe or spider? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
360 coupe or spider?

Hey guys

Wanted to get some expert opinions from owners here. Have decided on selling my Porsche Cayman and getting a 360. Cannot decide on the coupe or spider. (I want the manual for either so that part is decided)

Some have said get the spider, but I've read other posts with spider owners with roof problems...

on one hand I would prefer the spider, because that would add a convertible to my garage, which I do not have. But I do not want headaches with roof operation issues...

I also think the coupe has a cleaner look...

As you can tell I cannot decide

Any suggestions from owners would be great. Thanks.

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Personally, I think the reputation of hood problems is overrated. As long as you don't store the hood down for long periods, it should be reliable. I've had one glitch with mine, nothing a battery reset didn't fix.

Can't argue with your comment about the lines of the coupe, I agree, they are elegant. And that comes from a Spider owner!

They're both great. I say drive them both and get the one that "speaks" to you.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 46 Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
Hey Mike

I thought about a spider initially, but then I live in Texas as well. As you know summers (4 months ) are really hot and humid and with the top down I though it would be difficult to bear. I went with a coupe, not only for that reason but I also felt the coupe I would not have to deal with roof issues.

Coz

post #4 of 46 Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Mike- Personal choice. Coupe is stiffer and has purer lines, Spider, with top down, is prettier and more of a crumpet catcher. You would have to have an FIA competition license to be able to tell the difference in stiffness. If something goes wrong with the top, it can be fixed, so I would not overworry that subject. Later Spiders have access advantages for maintenance over early Spiders.

Have you downloaded a 360 workshop manual from ferraridatabase.com?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 46 Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks everyone for the great replies

Terry, I have not downloaded the workshop manual. My search for one is still very early. But thanks for the heads up

Coz, I live in West Texas, and not only are the summers hot as hell, here it's very windy and dusty. Why I'm considering a coupe. But for those few perfect spring or summer nights after a long day at work, to drive home with the top down, so tempting...

Killer58, great suggestion. I have driven the coupe before but not the spider. I may need to drive both back to back in the same test drive and compare.

F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #6 of 46 Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Owner

I did a year of hard time in Corpus many years ago. It was either hot or cold, and 25 kts of wind every second of every day. I had a convertable sports car then, and had the top down every chance I got, at both temperature extremes. While I enjoyed it, I was young. Not sure I'd want to drive a soft top in that climate again.

That said, I now live in DC, where the summers are opressively hot and humid, and the winters have snow, ice, rain, and salt. On those days the Spider just stays indoors, just like most humans....

post #7 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Aurally the Spider is more impressive and with the top down the lines are superb.

I agree with Terry on roof issues - its not always waterproof and they can malfunction slightly, mine did, but easily adjusted. Not enough of a downer to be put you off, though your climate may be moreso, though IMHO you cant beat a top down experience - and if you dont like it, swap it for a coupe (or vice versa). Maybe live with one for a couple of hours ?
post #8 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Killer58 and V8TDF, appreciate the replies.

I agree with you both. My Gransport is more my daily driver, and if I get the spider, i would use it more on those "perfect" weather days where driving a convertible would be amazing.

On the rain, ice, snow days, both my girls (Gransport and 360) will stay indoors, and that's when the Cayenne Turbo S will come out and play

I think I'm leaning more towards the spider now...

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #9 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
I am a convertible lover...go skiing in winter in high 20's-low 30's weather top down all week, go to Vegas in August in 100+ top down, I have been driving 40 years and never owned anything but a convertible, I married the right woman because she also loves convertibles and top down driving no matter what the weather.

When I first started looking for a Ferrari, I was looking at 3x8GTS and 355GTS's, then my wife and I made the jump to thinking about 360's and my one and only request was not red and the type of top was never even talked about. First car I found was a coupe and I have not missed the convertible at all. Of course I still own 3 convertibles but my 360 is quickly becoming my favorite car and I don't think I would want a convertible 360 now, the front window is so big and comes back so far, the sides windows so large that you don't notice the top. No I am not getting rid of my S2000.

Parked next to a spider, the spider gets all the attention too, which is nice to be able to drive in stealth mode.
post #10 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
I am a convertible lover...go skiing in winter in high 20's-low 30's weather top down all week, go to Vegas in August in 100+ top down, I have been driving 40 years and never owned anything but a convertible, I married the right woman because she also loves convertibles and top down driving no matter what the weather.

When I first started looking for a Ferrari, I was looking at 3x8GTS and 355GTS's, then my wife and I made the jump to thinking about 360's and my one and only request was not red and the type of top was never even talked about. First car I found was a coupe and I have not missed the convertible at all. Of course I still own 3 convertibles but my 360 is quickly becoming my favorite car and I don't think I would want a convertible 360 now, the front window is so big and comes back so far, the sides windows so large that you don't notice the top. No I am not getting rid of my S2000.

Parked next to a spider, the spider gets all the attention too, which is nice to be able to drive in stealth mode.
thanks for the input. makes my decision even harder. i am a convertible lover too . i used to have a S2000 too, and loved it. but had to sell because I moved, and wife was not a fan of the S2000

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #11 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gransport Guy View Post
Killer58 and V8TDF, appreciate the replies.

I agree with you both. My Gransport is more my daily driver, and if I get the spider, i would use it more on those "perfect" weather days where driving a convertible would be amazing.

On the rain, ice, snow days, both my girls (Gransport and 360) will stay indoors, and that's when the Cayenne Turbo S will come out and play

I think I'm leaning more towards the spider now...
Thanks for providing us with a listing of your other available cars. From your listing, it truly seems like a spider is the right choice. This is because you have so many options for less than ideal weather (like most of us here). That being the case, you can enjoy the spider in whatever weather conditions you consider 'ideal' for such a car, and enjoy your other more-than-capable cars when duty calls.

If this were your only car, maybe a coupe. If you we're planning to race, then maybe a coupe. But if you're looking for something fun in which to unwind on your own terms, go spider, all the way man!

Good luck, you won't look back I'm sure.
post #12 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Raj,

thanks for the input. I think if I get a coupe, it will be too similar (both coupes) to the Gransport I already have.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #13 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
I' ve the same question to get answered...

Modena with low mileage and nice colorcomb.:
FERRARI F360 Modena Berlinetta, Occasion, Benzin, 14'600 km,CHF 69'900 - AutoScout24

or better a spider with 3times more milage:
FERRARI F360 Spider, Occasion, Benzin, 43'000 km,CHF 69'900 - AutoScout24

I already checked out the first one...it seems to be a new car
On Tuesday I will drive both...then I need to decide which one...that's gonna be difficult.

As a daily driver I have a Porsche 987S (Roadster). It is intended to keep this car since it is a perfect car for daily use. So I don't need necessarily a second convertible.

Which car would you guys recommend me....?

Thanks,
Jamarico
post #14 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamarico View Post
I' ve the same question to get answered...

Modena with low mileage and nice colorcomb.:
FERRARI F360 Modena Berlinetta, Occasion, Benzin, 14'600 km,CHF 69'900 - AutoScout24

or better a spider with 3times more milage:
FERRARI F360 Spider, Occasion, Benzin, 43'000 km,CHF 69'900 - AutoScout24

I already checked out the first one...it seems to be a new car
On Tuesday I will drive both...then I need to decide which one...that's gonna be difficult.

As a daily driver I have a Porsche 987S (Roadster). It is intended to keep this car since it is a perfect car for daily use. So I don't need necessarily a second convertible.

Which car would you guys recommend me....?

Thanks,
Jamarico
keep us updated on your test drives.

I would say, if you have a convertible already, go with the coupe. why i'm considering the spider, because I miss having a convertible in my collection

(Used to have a 2001 Porsche Boxster S convertible, 2000 Honda S2000, and a 2008 Nizzan 350Z convertible...loved them all, but had to sell them for one reason or another)

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #15 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

now let me throw another factor into the equation:

1. should I save for 6 months to an year or so and get a 360 spider OR

2. save for 2-3 years (or a little more) and get a F430 coupe?

my wife says I have no patience, which is 100% true but I would be completely happy with either...

not sure if I can wait 2-4 years for my F car...but the 430 is so sweet...

what do you guys think?

- Mike

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #16 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Buy now and trade later.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #17 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Buy now and trade later.
I like how you think Taz!

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #18 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
I did save, and save, and save, it took forever to get my 360 and now I am upset at all the years I wasted not driving a Ferrari. Get what you can now and trade up later, the years lost driving the best machinery on the road can't be gotten back. Personally, its 360 all the way for me, I am one of the very people here who does not lust after the 430 (maybe its because I can't afford it )
post #19 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Depends on where you live....
post #20 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
Personally, its 360 all the way for me, I am one of the very people here who does not lust after the 430 (maybe its because I can't afford it )
I'm with you Mike, having driven both, I prefer the 360 hands down.

I say buy a 360 now, you won't regret it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode