360 New Tires and Jack Stands - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
New Tires and Jack Stands

I got a call from Costco on Friday that my special order Bridgestone tires were in. They are having a special promotion and I needed new tires and the price was best one around, including Tire Rack and Discount Tire. So, I am wrestling with the option of taking the car in to Costco and let the their service guys do the heavy work of raising the vehicle and removing the wheels or doing that myself at home and just bring the wheels in. I decided on the latter.

My first problem is how to put the 360 on jack stands. Easy task to place the jack stands under the front of the car ... but the rear is more problematic as I do not want to remove the belly pan. There is only a single circular cut-out in the belly pan to access the rear lifting point, and that is the point I used for my floor jack. After examining the undercarriage, it appeared that a good spot to position my jack stand is to support the rear lower arm / hub holder. I jack the car up with my floor jack, removed the rear wheel and used a block of wood under the lower arm assembly to support the car on the jack stand. Wow, I don't like this set-up, but I cannot find a more suitable place. I don't like the way one has to balance the car like this. Part of the problem is the typical jack stand has a curved cast iron recess to rest a suspension component in. The Ferrari does not lend itself to that. A better solution would be jack stands with flat, circular rubber pads.

Anyway, I get the car on jack stands after many minutes of assuring a good solid balance. I got the wheels off, remove the old wheel weights and cart them off to Costco. The guys at Costco know how to remove and mount tires, but there was nary a torque wrench in sight. I observed how their techs tightened wheel lugs on a Lexus using their impact wrench. ( Should I say over tightened). I got the answer I expected to my question about why they did not hand torque the lug nuts ... they have set the impact wrench to the appropriate torque. I did not argue with them as that would be fruitless.

So, I am happy with my decision to take the wheels in for tire mounting and not the entire car as it allows me the opportunity to correctly torque the wheel studs and also clean the inside of the rims and the suspension components ... but I really need to get some better jack stands if I am going to do this again. I would also like to hear from others how they support the rear of the car on jack stands.

Steve
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Most shops use these torque extensions on the impact guns. I'm sure it helps but I don't let anyone use an impact gun to put wheels on any vehicle I own. When I have no control(state inspections etc) I loosen the lugs when I get home and torque them myself.

As far as mounting the tires on the rims I might be cautious of who I would let do that as well. I might be tempted to just pick up the tires and take the wheels to someone I trusted with a lot of experience. If nothing else ask the manager to make sure he puts a senior person on the job and make sure he knows the cost of the rims.

You shouldn't have to mention it but tell them to mount the weights inside the rim and not to just tape them anywhere. Also make note of and clearence issues with the brake calipers. You would hate to get home and find out the weights are hitting the caliper.

I always like to mount them myself when I can find someone that will let me use thier machine. If I see one that requires a lot of weight I will break the bead and spin the tire on the rim etc and see if it makes an improvement rather than just piling lead on the rim.

You would think that someone who does nothing else but change tires would get profiecent fast but I have had many bad experiences.

When I bought my new Ford Edge I noticed the dealer had installed the wheel locks. I also checked the tire pressure and they were all way in excess of 40psi and varied by over 10 psi. I could tell they did not torque the locking lugs the same as the others. After I brought the car back to the dealer for the free oil change and service I checked the tire pressure again. They had once again way over inflated them for some reason. All where over 45 psi and not uniform in pressures?

I guess the moral of my story is don't trust anyone to work on your car and make sure you check the pressure when you bring your new wheels and tires home.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #3 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
P.S. Harbor Frieght sells some really nice urathane rubber pieces to fit on top of your jack stands.

------------------------------

Life is Good!

post #4 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I did forget to state that when asked by the Costco guys what pressure I wanted the tires, I told them 32 psi. When I got the wheels back on the car, they were all 36 psi.

Steve
post #5 of 5 Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

After my experience using my jack stands with the traditional saddle top that cradles an metal component, I realized that a flat top jack stand would be better on my car. I just ordered a pair of ESCO flat top stands that should be vastly superior to the ones I have. Here is a link Automotive flat top jack stands from ESCO

Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by bisel; 12-18-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode