360 Help with a manual clutch - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
Help with a manual clutch

Hello all, I am in the midst of a project, and I just got the manual clutch operational. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how much "free play" the clutch has in it. To be completely clear as to what I am asking for, is how much will the clutch pedal move before the resistance of the pressure plate is felt. I think I have all the air out of the system, but having a measurement would sure make me feel better.
Being my car is an F1 conversion, I have no previous reference point. The factory manual does not give a spec, and my searches produced nothing useable.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,353
Hi Rich, I will have a look on my car tomorrow and give you some feedback. It looks like you coming to the end of this huge job! Congrats. I hope the weather conditions will be good enough in NJ to test out your new manual.

Here's already the info I can share from the WSM of the 430. The 360 data must be very similar:

The travel (H) of the clutch pedal measured in the middle of the foot-rest plate must be 120.4-121.4 mm

With the clutch pedal in resting position, the lower end of the switch must be positioned 6 mm away from the push-button faying surface on the pedal.
Attached Images

post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Since it is a constant contact TO bearing there is no freeplay in the traditional sense.

With the pedal in the full up position and resting against the stop there needs to be a millimeter or two of freeplay in the master cylinder push rod. In other words there should be no contact with a slight clearance between the rod and the piston of the master cylinder. That alone will translate into some noticeable free movement in the pedal.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hello all, thanks for the input. I have been bleeding the clutch at the bleeder on the block on the trans, using a nice pressure bleeder. I have moved at least 8 ounces of fluid thru the system after it was full. I can get no more bubbles at the bleeder, but yet I have at least 1 inch of movement at the pedal before resistance starts. It appears that it may be good, but if all other cars show resistance with barely any noticable movement or very little, I may have an air pocket that is just being stubborn.

An actual measurement would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Stef, I did set the stroke and rest limit using your diagram ( 360) Brian, hello and thanks, I have been reading your posts for a long time and you are always a big help.

Thank you

Rich
post #5 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Clutches can be hard to bleed. Air likes to go up but can be pushed down. A clutch line goes up and down a few times. I have found several times that a trapped air pocket can find its way back to the reservior if you really rapidly pump the pedal 20 or so times.

Doesnt work on brakes so much because so little fluid is displaced but on a clutch it can work.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you Brian. I am sure you have been thru this. I will try that in a few minutes.

Thank you again

Rich
post #7 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks again Brian. Worked like a charm. I pumped a lot, then one last slow one, the reservoir dropped a bit, and very high pedal as I hoped for!!!

Thank you again

Rich

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode