360 Opinion on trans fluid condition (pix) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
Opinion on trans fluid condition (pix)

Hi All, I am in the midst of converting my 360 from F1 to manual. While I have the rear bumper off, I figured I may as well change the trans fluid even though when I bought it, I received paperwork that states it was changed just prior to me buying it. The car currently has 13700 miles or there about, and I have paperwork that show it changed near 12000 miles earlier this year.
I never owned a Fcar before, but I have worked on many a car, and changed more trans fluid than I can remember. I found it odd that this cars fluid was so black, and the filter ( screen assembly) had lots of chunks, and a piece of the white gasket sealer the factory uses. The drain plug had a good amount of metal on it as well. Not metal chips, just the fine metal paste that shows normal wear, and will stick to the drain plug.

My question is this, does this appear to be normal for less than 2000 miles and a year in a trans, or did I receive paperwork that may have been "incorrect". If this were any other car, I would say it were never changed, There is no combustion by products in trans fluid to darken it so much, which leaves only time and heat cycles.

Thank you for any input you can provide

Rich
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I certainly hope that isn't 2,000mi worth of use, if so it was a rather hard 2,000mi. I suspect the silicon bits on the filter are remnants from original assembly and I rarely see trans fluid that dark with color, so I would have to believe that box saw 13,000mi before being drained.

post #3 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
+1 Joss, I never got the fluid in such a condition when I change it every year. Looks definitely like it never been changed. Rich, it's good that you've checked it and as you're very handy, you'll have full control on your car now Change it every year + mesh cleaning and your trans will be in perfect condition.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Here is a link to some pictures for you to compare: Ferrari 360 Annual Preventative Maintenance Aldous Voice

This fluid was in the box for a year and 4,000 miles - you can just about see in the photo that it came out golden in colour, albeit much darker than the fresh fluid.. The filter had some sludge on it but no particles. I would say that your paperwork might be inaccurate.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Why are you converting to manual?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Rich- The recommended change interval on the 360 is every two years, but many pros recommend annual changes because the pump is so rough on transaxle fluid. Looks like nobody ever bothered to change the fluid on that one. Should be fine once it is changed, but you might want to change it, run it a couple of weeks, and change it again to flush out all the crud.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
Well thank you all for the replies, yes it is as I expected. Probably never changed. Ufortunately I have paperwork from a Fcar dealer that says it was, I guess I better check the belts too, as if the trans was billed, but "overlooked" why not the belts?
Granucci, I prefer to shift the car myself, and I really enjoy a project and challenge.Anytime I want, if I want, I can convert back to F1.

Taz I once again, a great idea. I will do another change after an hour of running or so to act a flush.

Thanks again guys, you are the best!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode