360 Run Flat Tires - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
Run Flat Tires

Ok, so I just found a nail in my driver's side rear tire. It's right in the meat of the tire and there is plenty of tread (only 8k on the tire) so I don't suspect it's not patchable. That being said, I did start looking around at tires. The tires on the car now are Michelin Pilot Sport. These tires perform well for my needs so there's no pressing desire to change. I have a Mr. Tire near my house so I looked online to see if they carry the Pilot Sports, which they do.

My question comes from the fact that they show two versions of the tire

Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP

The "ZP" version is described to have "run-flat capabilities". All specs on the tires are otherwise identical.

Wondering about what would have happened if I had flatted somewhere besides home, seeing the run-flat tires got me to thinking. I'm not really a fan of the inflatable tire goo so I'm intrigued. Has anyone run on these tires? Can you tell any difference. Does anyone know of any downsides to run-flats. I don't track my car so I'm not concerned with the implications there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 212
depends on what caused the puncture... I have had good luck using the external patches that are pushed through from the outside... I always keep a spare patch kit in the car along with a 12v air pmp...the few times I have needed to use it, I would have paid any sum to get going again... that is why every car has apuncture kit...
the repair is effected with wheel on the car.. takes only minutes to get going again.. despite contrary opinion that they are for first aid/temporary and that proper a patch would need to remove wheel and tire and repair from the inside followed by a rebalance... I have left these patches in place and used the tires until worn out with no ill effects or indication that they were only to be temporary... from my experience I have given up on getting a "proper patch", it's not worth the trouble or effort

re: run flat tires... most prefer the ride of a normal tire, the run flats seem to change the feel to something that is less desirable / most don't care for... nothing bad but given a choice normal is preferred by those that can tell the difference

Last edited by fromage; 12-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Bob- You do not want those Pilot Sport all season tires. What you want are Pilot Sport 2s, or, even better, Pilot Super Sports. Your local dealer can order the PS2s, but I doubt they have the correct sizes for the PSS tires. Look them up at tirerack.com to see what sizes are available for both the PS2 and the PSS.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Just goes to show how much I considered tires at this stage. Didn't even clue in on the A/S meaning all season. It would also explain why I haven't heard anyone mention these in the past. Thanks for the info. Indeed it is the PS2s that I had figured I would eventually purchase as a replacement.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
The runs flats are going to ride much harder. Personally do not care for them.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

@Fromage

What repair kit do you carry?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Owner

it's just a plain "BS" tire repair kit available at all auto supply shops...the one I like uses adhesive saturated "line" in pre cut length ( can be used in multiples for larger holes )... the kit comes with a tool to clean puncture hole, then a tool to insert the "plugs"... 12v air cmpressor is separate... I wish I could say it is something unique, but it is not... ease of use and it works, just follow instructions... the hard part is finding and removing what caused the puncture...then rotating the tire to a positon to where whatever punctured can be removed and the plug inserted... last year my pick up had a puncture while towing a boat... noticed it was losing air from a screw lodged in tread... rolled tire to a comfortable position to perform "surgery"... I didn't even get a jack out... in a few minutes I was good to go... this is not rocket science to get going again... the seal can be permanent as from my experience... it is easier than mounting the spare and then driving with it...
post #8 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
Hello, I have used those thread style plugs with great results, however, I believe the original speed rating is compromised after that, or any repair. It will hold under "normal" use, but these cars are capable of much more than that.

I have had cars with run flats. As a matter of fact, my last 2 Vipers had them( original equipment) and generally they are hated and swapped for nice sticky tires. To me, they rode too hard, and were hard to warm up and too easy to find the edge of traction. I felt the benefit was not worth the down side. Buy good quality tires that are not run flats, that was my experience with them.
Honestly, I don't like the goo can either, or the idea of no spare, but flats are rare in comparision to simply driving. I think driving run flats is more of a gamble ( spin out possibility) than no spare.

This has been my experience.

Good luck

Rich
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Owner

in most cases on the spot puncture repair is easier than changing to a spare and driving with the spare....also in most cases there is no place to put a full sized tire once it is removed... any tire is compromised by a puncture and cannot be expected to perform to original intended maximum without compromising safety... I don't think I own a car that will accomodate a full size tire/wheel ... something to think about / maybe need to read the "fine print" for suggestions of how to transport a failed full sized tire...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode