F430 Where to find a new brake light? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 69
Where to find a new brake light?

The passenger side brake light is broke. It's feels loose, but, I know for a fact that one of the three fasteners are broken. I can't believe that you need the key in the ignition turned on before the brake lights display? Most other cars display the brake lights without keys turned on in the ignition by just pushing on the brake pedal.

How much do they cost? Where can I find a used part?

thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
John- If heat causes the fasteners to fail, I would consider getting a new one from Ricambi. They also turn up all the time on E-Bay, but Daniel is a much more reliable source. Unfortunately, they are around $500.

Ferrari Parts, Ferrari Accessories, and Ferrari Performance Products - Ricambi America, Inc.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAracer View Post
The passenger side brake light is broke. It's feels loose, but, I know for a fact that one of the three fasteners are broken. I can't believe that you need the key in the ignition turned on before the brake lights display? Most other cars display the brake lights without keys turned on in the ignition by just pushing on the brake pedal.

thanks,

Cars that the brake light work without the key are the exception....not the rule.

post #4 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,341
John, maybe you can try to glue it back again. That's what I did with one of my broken fasteners of my outer LHS tail light. It never broke again since 3/4 years.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
John, maybe you can try to glue it back again. That's what I did with one of my broken fasteners of my outer LHS tail light. It never broke again since 3/4 years.

Stef,

It's funny you mention that. It was repaired a few weeks ago with epoxy. However, I think the tech that installed the solenoid valve may have leaned on it while working on my car.. Now it's loose again.

I did locate a brand new one for $420. That's not too bad.

Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

John- Consider reinforcing those tabs if you can get away with it on the new one. Very little metal could make quite a difference and not change clearances very much..

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
John they always brake. Remove it and glue it. It will hold. They only brake because guys always lean on the tail lights. I have fix many for clients for the years. You do not have to buy a new one.
Thanks
Alex.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

John- Sounds like the pros like the glue route. Cannot hurt so go for it.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #9 of 18 Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Owner

John, as you know, the taillights design makes them hanging on the 3 rear fasteners. They are subject to huge vibrations especially when you cold start the engine (test it out putting slightly your hand and them and you'll see how much they vibrate). As a consequence, the plastic on the rear will break sooner or later. When you remove the taillights, you'll see marks on the paint right under the taillights. This is from the vibration which makes them rubbing the paint. It's a good idea the add 2 little pads to protect the paint and the taillights from vibration on it. This will save your taillights from breaking off the fasteners. Now my taillight sit on this soft pads and they don't vibrate anymore with the engine running. You can paint them but they'll harden them a bit.

Very easy to do for a couple of cents
Attached Images

post #10 of 18 Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Steff,

Thanks for the pics and information. It makes sense putting some pads on the underside of the lights. I would think it would also help support the light as well.

What's the best glue or epoxy to use to fix the broken fastener?

thanks again.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
John- Consider reinforcing those tabs if you can get away with it on the new one. Very little metal could make quite a difference and not change clearances very much..
Taz,

How would you reinforce the fasteners? It a good idea, but, just curious how you did yours or would recommend doing it.

Thanks,
post #12 of 18 Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

John- Mine did not break, different design and not sitting up on top like an F430, but a thin metal sandwich bonded to the tabs should help without fouling up clearances. Have done that on other plastic repairs. If you wanted to get really fancy, a thin metal gasket that is bonded to the entire taillight and fasteners would work really well. Just have to fabricate it out of thin aluminum sheet with a band-saw or similar. Could be made in two pieces. Repaired my air conditioning panel fastener tabs with something similar.

Stef's little pads would help a great deal, too.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #13 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Quote:
Steff,

Thanks for the pics and information. It makes sense putting some pads on the underside of the lights. I would think it would also help support the light as well.

What's the best glue or epoxy to use to fix the broken fastener?

thanks again.

Did you happen to see what glue/epoxy works best?
post #14 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Owner

David, any decent 2 part resin epoxy glue should do the job.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Owner
Elite Member

JB Weld works exceptionally well where the black color does not bother you. Not a problem on the taillight tabs.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #16 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 72
Quote:

thanks,
I do not have any exprience with the item and not sure about the quality but it may worth to try once for one tail light. One cost 240 usd+ shipping roughly. 4 pieces is cheaper you can check in thier store.
FERRARI F430 ENZO REPLACEMENT REAR AMBER LIGHT IDEAL FOR REPLICA F430 KIT CAR | eBay
post #17 of 18 Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

[QUOTE=Hakankuy;228865]I do not have any exprience with the item and not sure about the quality but it may worth to try once for one tail light. One cost 240 usd+ shipping roughly. 4 pieces is cheaper you can check in thier store.
FERRARI F430 ENZO REPLACEMENT REAR AMBER LIGHT IDEAL FOR REPLICA F430 KIT
CAR | eBay[/QUOTE

Hakankuy,

Thanks for the link. They look pretty good. I did find one place that sells Ferrari taillights for $350

It looks like the place you're recommending is in England?

Thanks again,
post #18 of 18 Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 72
[QUOTE=CAracer;229062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakankuy View Post
I do not have any exprience with the item and not sure about the quality but it may worth to try once for one tail light. One cost 240 usd+ shipping roughly. 4 pieces is cheaper you can check in thier store.
FERRARI F430 ENZO REPLACEMENT REAR AMBER LIGHT IDEAL FOR REPLICA F430 KIT
CAR | eBay[/QUOTE

Hakankuy,

Thanks for the link. They look pretty good. I did find one place that sells Ferrari taillights for $350

It looks like the place you're recommending is in England?

Thanks again,
Yes they are in UK and sending worldwide. But I am not sure about the colour of the outer lenses in US Canada versions as US car specifiactions are a bit different from EU countries.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode