F430 E Differential Solenoid failure - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 69
E Differential Solenoid failure

Has anyone out there had this part replaced and if so, how many times?

What actually fails with this part? I've had three new solenoids installed in the last two weeks and all have failed upon install from Ferrari dealership. What's wrong with this part? No quality control? The fourth one is going in tomorrow. It can't be heat from the motor.. Most of them have failed without even driving the car

Anyone have any pics of this part?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Hi John, I have change many of these valves and never had a new one go bad. I feel that they are not installing them correctly and not bleed the system correctly. This does not make any sense. I hope they have also check line pressure . Maybe the f1 pump is not working properly and they are chasing a ghost. Again , this makes no sense.
Good luck
Alex.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 PM

Too bad I'm not there. I would fix the problem for you.
Thanks
Alex.

post #4 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
I have seen lots of bad parts from Ferrari but never 3 in a row.

They really need to go back to the drawing board. Either the solenoids are not bad or something is killing them on installation.

God, I love the dealers. Business has never been better and I owe it all to them.

Last edited by Brian; 11-27-2012 at 08:02 PM.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Fourth solenoid going in today

Hi Alex,

Yes, I wish I lived closer to your shop. You would definitely be the one to install the fourth solenoid. Today the dealer is installing the fourth new solenoid. And, I can't believe that they have received four bad solenoids in a row. Just unbelievable!

What actually fails with the solenoid? Is it the diaphragm? Can you send me a picture of this part? I can't find a picture on line. They cost almost $1000. dollars.

I will keep you posted on the outcome of today. If this one works, I'm supposed to pick up the car later today.

Thanks again,
post #6 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

More solenoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I have seen lots of bad parts from Ferrari but never 3 in a row.

They really need to go back to the drawing board. Either the solenoids are not bad or something is killing them on installation.

God, I love the dealers. Business has never been better and I owe it all to them.
Brian,

I feel that same as you Brian, How can three new solenoids fail? Today, they will install number four. What's interesting is that they have to warranty this for two years. No wonder Ferrari charged so much for their cars.

I'll keep you posted as to how the fourth install works out. I don't have high hopes either.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAracer View Post
Brian,

I feel that same as you Brian, How can three new solenoids fail? Today, they will install number four. What's interesting is that they have to warranty this for two years. No wonder Ferrari charged so much for their cars.

I'll keep you posted as to how the fourth install works out. I don't have high hopes either.

Not exactly true. I was the shop foreman at what was at the time the biggest Ferrari service department. Ferrari is famous for stiffing their dealers on warranty work. The costs run up trying to fix this problem are almost certainly going to be eaten by the dealer and the mechanic who is being paid flatrate. If he doesn't produce billable hours he doesn't get paid. Even if they paid the original claim they won't pay subsequent claims to fix the same problem.

No, this situation explains why service work is so expensive at dealers. The retail work needs to pay for the warranty work.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Isn't there some old saw about doing the same thing multiple times and expecting different results?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #9 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Isn't there some old saw about doing the same thing multiple times and expecting different results?

I would be surprised in the extreme if we are hearing the entire story. I am sure more is being done. The story being told is about saving face at the service department, not fixing the car.

And so it goes with the flat rate system.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
John, I start thinking that the issue is not the solenoid valves but the e-diff system itself. There have been some issues with the first MY2005 e-diff systems. My car had this issue too and the entire gearbox/differential has been changed in the first year. But I'm still surprised that your problem appeared only once you bought your car...
post #11 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
John, I start thinking that the issue is not the solenoid valves but the e-diff system itself. There have been some issues with the first MY2005 e-diff systems. My car had this issue too and the entire gearbox/differential has been changed in the first year. But I'm still surprised that your problem appeared only once you bought your car...
Stef,

I hope you're not right about replacing the whole gearbox/differential. I think they are either diagnosing the problem incorrectly, or installing the part incorrectly. I just can't imagine so may defective parts coming from Ferrari.

And as Brian said, who is eating all the labor costs for installing four solenoids? And after all this, the dealership is giving me a 2yr warranty on parts and labor.

I'm patiently waiting on a call from the dealership on the result of the four solenoid install.

They should be calling soon.

I"ll keep you updated.

Thanks again for you input and help
post #12 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Sure I truly wish I'm wrong John Let's hope you'll get eventually some good news
post #13 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Dealer callled and said car is ready for pickup

I'm leaving for San Diego in the morning to pick up my car. I sure hope it doesn't have any problems or issues with the E differential solenoid on the drive home to Huntington Beach.

The service adviser test drove the car today and said all is working well. We'll see tomorrow. After four attempts on the install, I don't exactly feel confident that all will be working normally, but my fingers are crossed and I'm hoping for the best..

Update to follow.
post #14 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can enjoy the car.
Alex.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

John- Hope that does it for you and you have years of happy ownership.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #16 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
For what reason is the car in San Diego instead of Newport Beach? Last I was working in San Diego there was very little reason to send a car there...very limited technician experience.

post #17 of 25 Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
For what reason is the car in San Diego instead of Newport Beach? Last I was working in San Diego there was very little reason to send a car there...very limited technician experience.
I originally purchased the car in San Diego from an independent dealer. He offered a 30 day or 1000 mile warranty. He has a special deal with Ferrari of SD on pricing. It was a little inconvenient taking the car there, however, he was picking up the repair cost and he gave me a loaner car to drive back to Huntington Bch.

Yesterday, I picked up my car and it seems to be fixed.
post #18 of 25 Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Owner
Elite Member

John- I love a happy ending.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #19 of 25 Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Success! finally got my car back

I picked up my car yesterday. And after driving 125miles + I think that it is finally fixed. Remember, it took four E differential solenoids to finally get it fixed. Ferrari also gives a 2 yr warranty on parts and labor. I hope I don't need it.

Thanks again for all your input and help. I'm finally back on the road to enjoying my new Ferrari.
post #20 of 25 Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Nice to hear that the outcome was in your favor.

NOW....enjoy your car!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode