360 Difficulty shifting neutral to 1st - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Difficulty shifting neutral to 1st

Hello all,

My 360 recently exhibited a problem shifting from neutral to first. While at stop light I shifted to neutral and when I triggered the paddle to go to first nothing happened. Yes, I had my foot on the brake peddle. I pulled both paddles to select neutral. Pulled the left paddle then the right to no avail. The car remained in neutral. After a short interval, the Ferrari gods deemed it ok to allow selection of first gear. This has happened twice in as many days. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I should be looking to do to correct this situation?

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
I would recommend not putting it into neutral at stop lights. I never do. I have forgotten a few times early on trying it and revved the engine trying to get going. Embarrassing and talking to my mechanic at the Ferrari dealership he says it doesn't save the clutch any. Best of luck and hope the problem doesn't get worse...

2008 Scuderia
2010 Maserati GranTurismo S - it has a 430 engine so it counts
post #3 of 9 Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVIV View Post
I would recommend not putting it into neutral at stop lights. I never do. I have forgotten a few times early on trying it and revved the engine trying to get going. Embarrassing and talking to my mechanic at the Ferrari dealership he says it doesn't save the clutch any. Best of luck and hope the problem doesn't get worse...
The owner manual recommends neutral for extended stops and others here on the forum recommended same. If I forget, the car shifts to neutral all by itself if it senses a prolonged period in first gear while stopped.

Regards

Steve

post #4 of 9 Old 11-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisel View Post
The owner manual recommends neutral for extended stops and others here on the forum recommended same. If I forget, the car shifts to neutral all by itself if it senses a prolonged period in first gear while stopped.

Regards

Steve
Steve,
It should only shift to N autimatically when stationary if you leave your foot off the brake. Not being able to engage first has happened to me a couple of times, usually when I've a low battery, since I've started being extra careful re battery conditioner never had the problem. Also found that stamping hard on the brake is sometimes necessary rather than using a light touch.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #5 of 9 Old 11-23-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Shifting to first

I recall now you are correct. Only auto shifts to N if stationary and not pressing brake. So what is consensus then, shift to N when at stop light or leave in 1st?

I also checked F1 fluid level. It was down a very little bit but shouldn't think that was the cause. I also made sure rear deck was closed securely. If happens again will try to release and depress brake pedal to see if that is related.

Thx

Steve
post #6 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Problem seems to have been resolved

Put on about 150 miles today. City and highway and no instance of being reluctant to shift from N to 1st. I made sure that my foot was firmly on the brake when I flicked e paddle and no problem. I had previously made sure the rear hatch was closed securely as well. So I am thinking it was purely my own unattention to proper driving technique. So learned something new today. Hope that is the case.

Steve
post #7 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Steve- Downshifting through all the lower gears when coming to a full stop is a waste of clutch and synchro wear to me, so I usually shift to neutral from 3rd to 5th gear, depending on speed. Ferrari throw-out bearings are constant contact types and the clutch is open whenever you are stopped, regardless of whether she is in gear or in neutral. So there is not any difference in throw-out bearing wear like there would be in a three pedal car. There is thow-out bearing and clutch wear from unnecessary downshfts, however.

If an F1 equipped Ferrari is in gear and stopped, the system will eventually shift to neutral even if you have the brake depressed, but it takes on the order of 10 minutes. Off the brake it is normally about 90 seconds, but that can vary from model to model.

Brian Crall explained that there is something in the brake system that causes more pressure to be needed on the brake pedal as the mileage increases. Maybe he can chime in with an explanation. Try pushing harder on the brake pedal and you should be ok.

Incidentally, if coming to a stop and neutral is selected and traffic starts moving, hitting the upshift paddle will get you the highest gear in which the engine will run smoothly. Too high. Hitting the downshift paddle will get you one gear lower.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 11-25-2012 at 07:51 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 197
It happened to me too. It happens once every 2 months. While I'm at red-light N doesn't go to 1st... even it happened instead of 1st gear, car started on 2nd!
but 99% of the time it doesn't happen.

F430 F1
post #9 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Taz taught me how to shift right after I got my 360 several months ago. I do exactly what he says and have had zero issues! Follow his advice and you will be very happy with the results!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode