LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
My baby had her first bath:-)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352081684.453697.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  120.2 KB

I'm not sure if anyone felt the same way with their first Ferrari purchase.
I have owned this Scud since June of this year and for some reason, I was a little nervous to wash her myself. The first time, I took her in to a professional detailer in town to just wash the car.
Finally this morning, I got the courage to do it myself, and guess what, she is still in one piece:-)
It was such a great way of spending my Sunday morning, very therapeutic.
Anyone have a similar experience, or am I the only strange one;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
It is fun to wash your own car. Just think of her as a beautiful female and it gets to be even more fun.

My technique is not to wash the 575M in the sun. But then our sun is a lot nastier here at 6000', and we are dry as a bone. One day this October we had 3% humidity at 6 pm. So if you live someplace humid and lower in altitude, it probably does not make as much difference whether she is in the sun or not when you wash her.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 37 Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
I'm in New Jersey and it always seems like we have humidity. However, I prefer not to wash the 360 in the sun just so the water doesn't start to dry before I can wipe her down or blow it off. Fewer water spots that way.

BTW...you are not the only one to approach washing your Ferrari with a bit of trepidation. I purchased in 360 in April and it wasn't until July that I finally decided to do it myself. Prior to that a professional detailer came to my house every other week for wash, interior clean, and engine wipe down. Now I haven't seen him since July. He's probably wondering if I sold it. So there you go, you are not the only one.

post #4 of 37 Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I wash and wax my cars all the time - today washed it inside the garage with warm water followed by a wax.

Turned the radio on the cell phone off and it's as relaxing as anything as long as there are no new surprises.

Sanchez it's a good idea to turn the headlights on and dry out the lens.
post #5 of 37 Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 61
I don't have the courage. My car is going off to a a detailer ranked top 10 in the country on Wednsday and its sitting in my garage till spring. I may wash her myself next year, well see. Nice pic

07 Ferrari F430 F1 Rosso over Nero
13 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo Rosso
13 Audi S5 - Commuter Car
08 Maserati GranTurismo Nero Carbonio over Cuoio (sold)
08 Maserati GranTurismo Bianco Eldorado over Rosso (sold)
post #6 of 37 Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Well, the sun was bright but not as hot as it gets here in California. I kept spraying her down, so she wouldn't dry.
I have to admit, I had my 8 yr old spray the car down while I was still soaping her down. I then drove her into my garage, and dried her off. It worked out quite well.
Champagne- what do you mean by leaving the light on? It didn't seem to be like the water entered the plastic covering...am I missing something?
post #7 of 37 Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 63
Yeah, I wash my cars as well. Its something I guess I enjoy as well.

Thanks for sharing

2010 599 HGTE
post #8 of 37 Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezdds View Post
Well, the sun was bright but not as hot as it gets here in California. I kept spraying her down, so she wouldn't dry.
I have to admit, I had my 8 yr old spray the car down while I was still soaping her down. I then drove her into my garage, and dried her off. It worked out quite well.
Champagne- what do you mean by leaving the light on? It didn't seem to be like the water entered the plastic covering...am I missing something?
Moisture will get in the headlight assemblies after a wash - no avoiding it.

Turn the lights on for a few minutes to dry them out.

Many Scuds have had this issue some were replaced under warranty some not.
post #9 of 37 Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Nice pic. I would echo washing the old girl inside the garage where the sun can't dry her prematurely. Also, I'm an advocate of the two-bucket method, FWIW. One bucket for clean, soapy water (with a high-quality car wash soap, of course, duh!) and the second bucket as the dirty one, for rinsing of your wash mit. Change the water in the "dirty" bucket often for better results!
HAVE FUN!!!!
post #10 of 37 Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZSAVY View Post
I don't have the courage. My car is going off to a a detailer ranked top 10 in the country on Wednsday and its sitting in my garage till spring. I may wash her myself next year, well see. Nice pic
I can't quite believe what I am reading here !!! Off to the detailer (top ten you know), sitting in the garage till spring, to scared to wash the car (or drive it by the sound of it).

My advice............... get your hands wet (you could always use a moisturiser afterwards, or maybe wear your wifes rubber gloves), wash your car if dirty, then drive it.

Best of all is to leave it slightly dirty, then you won't worry at all about getting it dirty when you drive it. It won't melt in the rain.

(and yes, I do drive a Scud)

Maybe its a British thing............... we just drive and wash if dirty, drive and wash if dirty, etc. But plenty of the driving bit.

Rant over......................... off to wash the car.
post #11 of 37 Old 11-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Dudlow- If we had your weather, mine would get washed more often, too. When I wash mine, it is usually just to get the dust off of her. Ceramic brakes, so no brake dust, either. It did not rain here at all in the month of October.

But, I do not want your weather. Lived in the UK 6 years and loved just about everything except the weather. Especially a pain because I flew for a living.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 37 Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
Speaking of washing/waxing.......what products do you guys use and or recommend? I've had many recommendations....but just figured I would throw it out there.
JASON
post #13 of 37 Old 11-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariOMS View Post
Speaking of washing/waxing.......what products do you guys use and or recommend? I've had many recommendations....but just figured I would throw it out there.
JASON
Swissvax. The cost of acquisition for a system can be PRETTY steep. But, their products go a VERY long way. For instance, one unit of their 50 mL wax containers will do like 30-40 cars.

It's good stuff.
post #14 of 37 Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
I work on my own stuff all the time but was intimidated to turn a screw with a screwdriver on the car at first. Once I got past it you realize it's just a thing. I'm just a lot more careful with this thing but its just a thing.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #15 of 37 Old 11-07-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
I work on my own stuff all the time but was intimidated to turn a screw with a screwdriver on the car at first. Once I got past it you realize it's just a thing. I'm just a lot more careful with this thing but its just a thing.
I know what you are saying. You just have to get pass the feeling that this "thing" is just a car. An expensive one, but nonetheless a car.
post #16 of 37 Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDriveM5 View Post
Swissvax. The cost of acquisition for a system can be PRETTY steep. But, their products go a VERY long way. For instance, one unit of their 50 mL wax containers will do like 30-40 cars.

It's good stuff.

+1, I use only Swissvax products for washing up to waxing. It's worth the price and I'm very happy about their quality and long-lasting products
post #17 of 37 Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Driveway is very nice even without the car on it!

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #18 of 37 Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM
rmo
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariOMS View Post
Speaking of washing/waxing.......what products do you guys use and or recommend?
I'm a big fan of the Chemical Guys products.
post #19 of 37 Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Biggest issue with most people is learning how to wash to prevent inducing swirl marks.
There are many videos on Youtube describing the process.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #20 of 37 Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
Raj & Stef

Do you guys use/recommend their interior products also ? or have you tried them? Any experience with Ardex Leather Perfect? Ive heard good things about it but never used it.

JASON

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode