F430 Needs some help? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 69
Needs some help?

I just purchased a 2005 F430 today. And, I'm already experiencing a problem. The car has 25K miles Just had an annual service performed 100 miles ago. So I thought I would have good luck with the car for at least one year.

I'm getting a "Slow Down" message in red (blinking light) When this happens, I can not shift the car into 2nd gear from 1st for about 15 sec. I'm not really driving the car hard when this happens. According to the owner's manual, this is a heat related condition. 02 sensors or a thermo coupling problem. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the car will stay in 1st gear until the light goes out. About 10 sec

I'm also getting a hatch warning light. I've made sure that the motor cover is latched. The light comes on and goes off by itself. Is this a switch? Or?

I appreciate any help anyone can offer. I was always afraid of purchasing a Ferrari for the little things that can happen. Please help me become more confident with my new purchase.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Were you in the typical SoCal traffic during rush hours? I think 2 possibilities, overheat cat or overheat clutch. Did you get the clutch reading when you bought the car? Did the gear resets to neutral?

Last edited by haha; 10-24-2012 at 06:17 PM.
post #3 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Sounds like a clutch - the other issue no idea but seems minor.

post #4 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi guys,

Clutch was checked for wear and found to have 96% remaining. Yes, the problem always starts when stopping at a traffic light. Then I get the red slow down' warning. It does go away pretty quickly. However, the car will not shift out of 1st year until the warning light goes out. Then all seems normal. It's happened at least five times today. And sometimes I can't get it in 1st year for a few secs (10) Anyway again, thanks for your help.

I'm taking it into the tomorrow and have it scanned and reset. I hope that helps.

It's frustrating. I just purchased this car and can't drive it. I did drive from San Diego to Orange County on the Freeway with no problems. I hope this information helps.

I"ll know more tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

John
post #5 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Is there any liquid/spots on the garage floor under the car?
post #6 of 42 Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Is there any liquid/spots on the garage floor under the car?

No, nothing leaking on the floor. The car seems to run perfect, except for the slow down message.
post #7 of 42 Old 10-25-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Found the problem

I had the tech check the car out today. It looks like there is a bad coil on the right bank, causing raw fuel to enter the cats. Then I'm told the cats on that bank are reading hotter the the left bank, causing the SLOW DOWN message.

I may replace all eight coils. Expensive, at $200/coil. plus labor.

I'll keep you in the loop and see what works best.
post #8 of 42 Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,351
Sorry to hear you got an issue while you just got your new car but coil failures may happen. It's good you took care of it immediately before damaging your cat. I don't think you have to change all 8 coils because they are very reliable. I still have my original coils with over 34500 miles Labor should be minimal as changing 1 coil can be done in less than 30 min. Make sure your shop does a full reset and relearn after changing the coil and ask them also to check the condition of the spark plug of the failing coil. All will be fine after
post #9 of 42 Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Sorry to hear you got an issue while you just got your new car but coil failures may happen. It's good you took care of it immediately before damaging your cat. I don't think you have to change all 8 coils because they are very reliable. I still have my original coils with over 34500 miles Labor should be minimal as changing 1 coil can be done in less than 30 min. Make sure your shop does a full reset and relearn after changing the coil and ask them also to check the condition of the spark plug of the failing coil. All will be fine after
Thanks Stef,

All good advice. On the plugs, I think while he's in there, new plugs are going in as well. Just a general question, how long do plugs last in the 430's? I thought with electronic ignition the lasted near 100K miles. No

Another question, when in stop and go traffic, I keep getting the SLOW DOWN message. Also, at the same time, the F1 gear box failure symbol pops up as well. Is this a completely new issue? I let the car cool down and it seems to be fine for now. No messages or check engine lights. When I turn the key on, OK is in green in color.

Anyway it's going in the shop on Tues.

Thanks again for all your help.
post #10 of 42 Old 10-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
Isn't the clutch wear figure displayed as % of clutch used up? If so, can it be that the clutch is only 4% good? Did the person, or dealer, you bought it from tell you that it has a fresh clutch? Because, at 96%, it's pretty darned fresh. You would think that they would highlight this given the price of a clutch job.
post #11 of 42 Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Owner

John, I changed my spark plugs at 32.000 miles and they were all still in perfect condition. I guess they could have last a lot longer but on such car, I prefer to follow the Ferrari maintenance intervals.

Is your Slow Down alarm in Red or Amber? If it is Amber, it indicates you have a temporary differential malfunction. In combination with the F1 failure, I would suspect a hydraulic pump or pressure issue. When you open the door at the drivers side, to do hear the hydraulic pump motor running? As I wrote a couple of days ago, you can try also the following test: with engine OFF, ignition ON, try to cycle several times through the different gears (R, N, 1). After a couple of times, you should hear the hydraulic pump. If you don't hear the pump and if the Slow Down starts flashing, it's highly probable that you have a hydraulic failure and not ediff failure (differential valve or sensor). I would bring the car back to the shop.
post #12 of 42 Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
John, I changed my spark plugs at 32.000 miles and they were all still in perfect condition. I guess they could have last a lot longer but on such car, I prefer to follow the Ferrari maintenance intervals.

Is your Slow Down alarm in Red or Amber? If it is Amber, it indicates you have a temporary differential malfunction. In combination with the F1 failure, I would suspect a hydraulic pump or pressure issue. When you open the door at the drivers side, to do hear the hydraulic pump motor running? As I wrote a couple of days ago, you can try also the following test: with engine OFF, ignition ON, try to cycle several times through the different gears (R, N, 1). After a couple of times, you should hear the hydraulic pump. If you don't hear the pump and if the Slow Down starts flashing, it's highly probable that you have a hydraulic failure and not ediff failure (differential valve or sensor). I would bring the car back to the shop.
Hi Stef,

I do hear the pump running when I open the driver's door. The warning light is Red. I have no issues when the car is first driven. After it gets up to operating temp, and I do some stop and go traffic, this is when I start getting the blinking warning to slow down in red and sometimes in a solid red, no blinking. I'm hoping the tech is right with his diagnosis of the bad coil and a mis fire causing the right cat to read higher than the left bank. We'll see after Tues.

I'll keep you posted. In the mean time, I'll perform the trans check you recommended on the trans.

Thanks again,
post #13 of 42 Old 10-29-2012, 01:58 AM
Owner

Thanks John, if its red, than the slow down is related to high cat temperatures. When it shows solid red, the cat(s) is seriously overheating...This can be related to your coil problem as unburned fuel goes straight in the catalyzer. Ask your shop to check also the impacted cat efficiently because unburned fuel can lead to an internal cat meltdown. Good luck, hope all will be fine soon
post #14 of 42 Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Goes into the shop tomorrow

Quote:
Thanks John, if its red, than the slow down is related to high cat temperatures. When it shows solid red, the cat(s) is seriously overheating...This can be related to your coil problem as unburned fuel goes straight in the catalyzer. Ask your shop to check also the impacted cat efficiently because unburned fuel can lead to an internal cat meltdown. Good luck, hope all will be fine soon

Hi Stef,

She goes in the shop tomorrow. I hope all works out. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks,

John
post #15 of 42 Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAracer View Post
Hi Stef,

She goes in the shop tomorrow. I hope all works out. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks,

John
Good Luck.

In the event it is an exhaust / emissions - you may want to check this out.

The US unlike Europe has an extended warranty that the factory must adhere to - the only catch is it has to be an authorized service center by the factory to be covered and all original equipment.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Last edited by champagne612; 10-29-2012 at 07:55 PM.
post #16 of 42 Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Good Luck.

In the event it is an exhaust / emissions - you may want to check this out.

The US unlike Europe has an extended warranty that the factory must adhere to - the only catch is it has to be an authorized service center by the factory to be covered and all original equipment.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
You're right. I looked in the owner's manual and it's like 8 yrs or 80,000 miles. I'm right at 7.5 yrs.

I'm not sure if the coil would be covered? I"ll know more tomorrow.

Thanks,
post #17 of 42 Old 11-09-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Update on my Slow Down warning message

Well, the shop did change all four coils on the right bank and installed eight new plugs. Car seemed to run better and idle smoother. The plugs actually looked pretty good. I'm hearing more and more that the coils don't fail that often. So Stef, you were right, the plugs and coils were probably not the issue and it's obviously something else causing this problem.

Anyway, I drove the car home and it seemed to run great! Well, the next morning I did some more driving and the SLOW DOWN message appeared once again. This time it's not blinking, but, solid red. This all happened while waiting for a traffic light. The light changed and I turned on my hazard flashers, so the guy behind me wouldn't rear end me. It took about 15 secs and the warning light went off and I was able to put the car into 1st gear and drive normally.

So back to the shop once again. It's been sitting there for three days and it will be five days after the weekend. The independent shop services Lambos and Maseratis. He's very busy and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to trouble shoot my car and get me back on the road.

Since I purchased this car, it's either in the shop or waiting in my garage for an app to go into the shop. Not the fun ownership I expected...

After talking with San Diego Ferrari, I'm having the car towed there on Monday. I'm beginning to think that the independent shop doesn't have the proper diagnostic equipment to determine the root cause of the warning message. The independent shop wasn't able to pick up any codes that would lead him to solving the problem.

By the way, the car has 25k miles and has some pretty good service records that followed the car.

Recent work performed: Annual fluids change, new clutch, new rear tie rods, four wheel alignment, new water pump, brakes and rotors turned, and I just installed new tires. I hope I'm coming to the end of spending cycle and nearing the beginning of enjoyment cycle. I do have my fingers crossed. All the worked was paid for by the seller and I only purchased the tires recently. So to sum it up, the nearly 8k spent was paid for by the seller, But, soon, I will be picking up all costs that are incurred. That's what worries me.

This is my first Ferrari and I'm beginning to think maybe my last. I keep hearing how reliable the F 430 is? Maybe I just got a bad one?

Thanks,
post #18 of 42 Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
John- Something may have not been connected properly after all the work was done. If all the indy had was an OBDII reader and not an SD3, it would be a lot harder to diagnose.

F430s have been very reliable and yours probably will be, too, once it is sorted properly. Remember, it is a seven- eight year old car, only one year newer than mine. They are used cars.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #19 of 42 Old 11-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
If all the indy had was an OBDII reader and not an SD3, it would be a lot harder to diagnose.
+1, sounds like a lot of the headache might be down to lack of a proper upfront diagnosis.
post #20 of 42 Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Owner

IMO it's a mistake to have any work done outside of an authorized factory service center unless they have the proper equipment.

The diagnostic equipment will tell the whole story if it hasn't been reset.

Hoping it's the exhaust and covered under warranty.

Last edited by champagne612; 11-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode