F430 What is the softest damper setting on the Scuderia? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 230
What is the softest damper setting on the Scuderia?

This year’s first sports cars meeting took place yesterday so I had a good chance to try the 430 Scuderia on normal roads. We had a great drive through the best winding roads on the west coast of Sweden and in perfect weather. After 4 hours in the car I am getting a fairly comfortable with it and started to play a little with the settings.

To my surprise I found the softest suspension setting to be Race mode on the manettino and setting the dampers to soft. Reading the manual I was under the impression that the damper setting in the first position on the manettino should be the same but it actually feels slightly stiffer than the setting in RACE/SOFT. Has anyone else noticed this, is it the dampers or some other setting that gives this feeling?

Ferrari 430 Scuderia 2008/12
(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -99)
(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -98)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan6504 View Post
This year’s first sports cars meeting took place yesterday so I had a good chance to try the 430 Scuderia on normal roads. We had a great drive through the best winding roads on the west coast of Sweden and in perfect weather. After 4 hours in the car I am getting a fairly comfortable with it and started to play a little with the settings.

To my surprise I found the softest suspension setting to be Race mode on the manettino and setting the dampers to soft. Reading the manual I was under the impression that the damper setting in the first position on the manettino should be the same but it actually feels slightly stiffer than the setting in RACE/SOFT. Has anyone else noticed this, is it the dampers or some other setting that gives this feeling?
As you have discovered you can only alter the dampers to soft when in Race mode, they will not alter from their standard harder position in any other Manettino setting.

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #3 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
As you have discovered you can only alter the dampers to soft when in Race mode, they will not alter from their standard harder position in any other Manettino setting.
Yes, that I know of. I just thought that the first setting on the manettino, transportation setting/snow and ice or what ever it is called, had the same soft setting as RACE/SOFT, which it doesnt seem to have. RACE/SOFT feels slightly softer than transport mode on manettino.

(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -99)
(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -98)

post #4 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Yes, that I know of. I just thought that the first setting on the manettino, transportation setting/snow and ice or what ever it is called, had the same soft setting as RACE/SOFT, which it doesnt seem to have. RACE/SOFT feels slightly softer than transport mode on manettino.
No other manettino setting has it available as an option, like I said Soft is only available on Race. It's also the best setting to use on the road as it makes the Scud less likely to be upset if the roads not smooth, thus it gives the best drive. Watch out for the tail in this setting as it relaxes the traction control to enable the spirited driver to play with her

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #5 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
No other manettino setting has it available as an option, like I said Soft is only available on Race.
OK, I got it

I might be wrong, but when reading through the manual I thought that the same parameters were present in both cases. I'll just have to take a look again, it isnt very well written I guess ;-)

(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -99)
(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -98)
post #6 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
No other manettino setting has it available as an option, like I said Soft is only available on Race. It's also the best setting to use on the road as it makes the Scud less likely to be upset if the roads not smooth, thus it gives the best drive. Watch out for the tail in this setting as it relaxes the traction control to enable the spirited driver to play with her
Watch out for the tail in this setting

Been there done that - sport setting works just fine!
post #7 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
So that begs the question: What setting do you use most of the time when driving around town? Race or Sport? BTW, leaving work in 15 minutes to go pick up my Scuderia. Took a sleeping pill last night so I wouldn't stay up all night.

Bruno

2008 Scuderia
2010 Maserati GranTurismo S - it has a 430 engine so it counts
post #8 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Owner

Bruno I would stick with sport.

For those unforeseen time when you have a heavy foot it's much safer.

Pirelli's don't warm up so fast

Dude - you are going to be so overwhelmed that setting isn't even going to be a thought in your over sensory world you are about to enter.

Enjoy!
post #9 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Owner

I set the Manettino in RACE & the dampers on SOFT. This set-up really suits the 16M, it lets her play, as the traction control is very relaxed. This set-up is great if you're an experienced & capable driver, if not Id advise you leave it in Sport

post #10 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Owner

Quote:
I set the Manettino in RACE & the dampers on SOFT. This set-up really suits the 16M, it lets her play, as the traction control is very relaxed. This set-up is great if you're an experienced & capable driver, if not Id advise you leave it in Sport
haha

Ok Ok - I had just entered the on ramp which had a nice long sweeping curve.

Been there a ton of time in the 612 and never a bit of movement - not even a twitch.

As we all know the 16M has the race setting - which was a new toy one must try.

One I was not familiar with and put my rear in a interesting part of my side mirror.

I stayed in being very comfortable with the ramp ... jus sayin if it wasn't familiar asphalt it would have caused me to leave a stripe on the seat similar to the 16M stripe on my hood in non tri color which I believe was not an available option on the sticker.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
haha

Ok Ok - I had just entered the on ramp which had a nice long sweeping curve.

Been there a ton of time in the 612 and never a bit of movement - not even a twitch.

As we all know the 16M has the race setting - which was a new toy one must try.

One I was not familiar with and put my rear in a interesting part of my side mirror.

I stayed in being very comfortable with the ramp ... jus sayin if it wasn't familiar asphalt it would have caused me to leave a stripe on the seat similar to the 16M stripe on my hood in non tri color which I believe was not an available option on the sticker.
Thought youd like that one Doug. So to reiterate, for the inexperienced Sport is fine, for the rest of us who can drive please use Race ha ha

BTW, FLED6 is ace

post #12 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thought youd like that one Doug. So to reiterate, for the inexperienced Sport is fine, for the rest of us who can drive please use Race ha ha

BTW, FLED6 is ace
Blah Dhabi Blah

Enjoy FLED6 - looking forward to seeing pictures of you in everyones rear view mirror. LOL
post #13 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Blah Dhabi Blah

Enjoy FLED6 - looking forward to seeing pictures of you in everyones rear view mirror. LOL
Now that would be a miracle, given I'm leading today! LOL

post #14 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
I always use the above setting.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVIV View Post
So that begs the question: What setting do you use most of the time when driving around town? Race or Sport? BTW, leaving work in 15 minutes to go pick up my Scuderia. Took a sleeping pill last night so I wouldn't stay up all night.

Bruno
GranTourismo has a 430 engine? send a photo. like to see it

F430 F1
post #16 of 19 Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Owner

Quote:
Now that would be a miracle, given I'm leading today! LOL
Oh geez it's going to be like a pace car that never exits the track.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 700
Quote:
For just this sort of discussion it is great to have a pdf manual on the iPad.

There are 3 settings for the suspension, Soft, Sport and Race. In manettino position Race, CT and CST pushing the suspension button takes it from Race (hard) suspension to Soft suspension. Pushing the button in manettino setting Sport does nothing. For this reason I always drive in Race with Soft suspension.
Attached Images

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
For just this sort of discussion it is great to have a pdf manual on the iPad.

There are 3 settings for the suspension, Soft, Sport and Race. In manettino position Race, CT and CST pushing the suspension button takes it from Race (hard) suspension to Soft suspension. Pushing the button in manettino setting Sport does nothing. For this reason I always drive in Race with Soft suspension.
So this takes us back to my first question, again ;-)

My feeling is that: With the manettino in Low grip mode/damper in soft mode does not feel as soft as with the manettino in RACE and suspension damping changed to SOFT. According to the manual this should be the same, but my brains tell me something else...

(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -99)
(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -98)
post #19 of 19 Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 700
Quote:
So this takes us back to my first question, again ;-)

My feeling is that: With the manettino in Low grip mode/damper in soft mode does not feel as soft as with the manettino in RACE and suspension damping changed to SOFT. According to the manual this should be the same, but my brains tell me something else...
I've never driven in low grip but the manual says it's the same!

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode