360 99 failed CA smog for 3 odbII monitors out - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
99 failed CA smog for 3 odbII monitors out

My 1999 360 failed CA smog because I have 3 ODBII monitors out. The car is new to me, I purchased it last week in AZ and it did pass the AZ smog test about a month ago when all the ODBII monitors were on. The day I purchased the car, the battery was dead and the previous owner purchased and installed a new battery, so that reset all the monitors.

I then drove the 400 or so miles home and I have about 700 more miles on the car since then.

When I went to get smog'd the guy tested the ODBII first and only 2 monitors were out, the car passed the exhaust test with flying colors and then failed the ODBII test, the Evap monitor is going on/off seemingly randomly, he tried 5 times total to "time" the test when the monitor would be on, so I have 5 fails in one day and finally gave up. I then drove to Ferrari in L.A. and they said "sorry, just have to keep driving until the monitors come on" and they gave me the "drive cycle" instructions. I have a hard time following exactly the drive cycle but I have successfully done it 3 times so far, the other 2 times I mist-timed it and got stuck at a red light in the middle of the drive cycle. I am daily driving the car trying to get the monitors on and purchased a ODBII scanner, at first the evap would go on/off now it seems to be OFF permanently.

I was told that Ferrari of Silicon Valley sends the ECU's back to FNA for a reflash to solve this problem but Auto Gallery Ferrari has never heard of this (so they said). Am I stuck driving up to SV ? that would be a pain because I have to figure out a way to get home and then go back up later.

My issue is that the DMV said I had to have smog to register the out of state car and I have 10 days to register a out of state car and I am now at 10 days, I really need to get this to pass somehow. By the way it is a Calif. car, sold new in Calif. and was in Calif. until 2009 so no issues there and it was really clean on exhaust snif test, just the ODBII part. I guess I can register the car as non-op and keep driving to get it passed smog but with my luck, i will get busted first day.

What is my next possible step ? I have a appt. with a referee but I am hearing that wont do any good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Now 6 failures on record, the Referee would not override the failures, he said its not a car on Schedule J so he can't override and pass it. Again it passed the snif test just not odbII readiness.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Each monitor indicate a system. Such as "evap", "cat", "heated 02", etc....
Each system can be accomplish to complete if you know the drive pattern(parameter). I may be able to access that for you, although not a solid promise, Ok...
2001 and newer vehicle, CA allow only 1 incomplete monitor.
Get a list of all your monitor, let us know which one are completed and which one are not complete.
hopefully, I can help....ok

Mike

post #4 of 32 Old 05-03-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Evap, oxygen sensor monitor and oxygen htr monitor are the 3 that are off.

its a 1999 so I am allowed 2 off but I have 3 off.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Sorry to hear your issues but it's not the first time I hear this on "older" cars. The OBD readiness tests are quite random and not very reliable whatever drive cycle you do. If I was closer to you, I would set your ECU 100% ready and there you go. It's just electronics but today, whatever the real smog tests are, they can put you in trouble. Something I should integrate in a small box to plug on the diagnostic connector so that you guys before an inspection, can have all readiness tests set as passed.

Anyway, all this isn't helping you out now... It can take quite some time after a reset. Especially, your 3 monitors which are off are non-continuously monitored sub-systems. These are only checked once every 24 hours. But usually, a cold start after at least 8 hours rest should set these 3 monitors. If you daily drive your car, this may be a problem to get them set. If you can, try to leave your car in the garage for a good 24h and start it only after. Hopefully, this will set your 3 missing monitors
post #6 of 32 Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Owner

Yes, Stefvan is right...
if your car is an intrusive evap monitor system: 1st warm up the car allow it idling, drive it for 45minutes continuous highway speed, then park and let it rest for 5hours (some takes 8 hours). That should get your evap ready, provided if your evap does not have a problem.
for the o2 it may takes a couple of trip of 55miles. Again, it is import to let it idling warm up and then drive it.
provided that your o2 system does not have a problem.
Good luck.
Once a can an exact drive cylce/parameter, I will pm you.

I've heard lots of case about smog failure on Ferrari due to battery dies out because it's not a daily vehicle. If the battery dies out eng ECU reset and monitor will be imcomplete.
This is also important to cut out the hassle. So, keep your battery tender on after park 30days w/o driving. Or atleast give it a full charge every 30days as recommend per owner's manual.

Mike
post #7 of 32 Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I am daily driving the car right now, I have put 1,200 miles on the car since the battery was pulled a week ago (450 of those was just the drive home). I have tried the drive cycle but nothing is working to get those 3 on. I don't understand this...I don't understand why the monitors can't forced ON but everyone says they can't you just drive. I had hoped that a reflash of the ECU would fix it as there was a recall for that on the 99 but I found out my car already had that done in 04. I registered the car today and got a 60 day registration, so I have 2 months to get the on. I had been told once I registered without smog I could not drive it anymore but the DMV lady was really nice and offered the 60 day permit, same lady that last Thursday said "once you transfer the title without smog you can't drive the car anymore"

So I am relieved of a lot of stress, I have 2 months to get it them on, i am really hoping for tomorrow and i won't wait 2 months.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
If I was closer to you, I would set your ECU 100% ready and there you go. It's just electronics but today, whatever the real smog tests are, they can put you in trouble. Something I should integrate in a small box to plug on the diagnostic connector so that you guys before an inspection, can have all readiness tests set as passed.
I will be first in line to get that box !!!
post #9 of 32 Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Owner

you said you pulled out the battery a week ago?
that is the reason for the incomplete monitor isn't....
the total miles put on so far is alot. However, it is not important as how it was driven.
You said you drive the car daily, right?
what is your driving distance on the daily basis and how is your driving pattern?
I wish you are close by, I can set your car on the dyno and do a drive pattern on it. Rather then driving on the street. It is much easier to accomplish the drive pattern on the dyno then on the street, because of opstical (cars, stop sign, distance till slow down or stop, etc...)
You, know. Why don't you try to stop by a "test and repair" station to see if they can help you on that. Don't go to the referee or the "test only" station.
I am making a trip down to Roselli foreign auto repair this Monday. All they do is Lambo and Ferrari. I will get some info for you....Hold on tight, don't break you kneck over this...You have two months to work it out...
post #10 of 32 Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelong View Post
you said you pulled out the battery a week ago?
that is the reason for the incomplete monitor isn't....
the total miles put on so far is alot. However, it is not important as how it was driven.
You said you drive the car daily, right?
Yes, the day I went to pick up the car the battery was dead and the car would not start, the ex-owner put a new battery in. The car passed AZ smog a month ago at which time all the monitors were on, of course AZ smog is NOT CA smog so that certificate is no good in CA.

I have tried to do the Ferrari "drive cycle" 6 times now, done it pretty close twice other times I got red lights or traffic. My daily drive to work is 7 miles so I can't do a complete drive cycle.

I just don't understand why there is no way to "force" the monitors ON, there should be a way to do it for situations like this. Some people have said it can takes months to get the right monitors on.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Mike- Take it to someone competent with an SD-2 and have them reset whatever needs to be reset and replace anything that is broken and causing the codes.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 32 Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

its at the Dealer !!!
post #13 of 32 Old 05-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Mike- Wise decision.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #14 of 32 Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Owner

Mike.
I hear and feel you frustration. But to the best of my knowledge, I don't think there's a way to force the system into complete.
Reason being is, if you can do that, then there's no point of the E.P.A designed this system for.
The only way to prove the car in normal running condition w/o fault is for the system designed itself to go thru a self test with specific parameter set by the factory. All, of these are require by the EPA, then enforce down to the B.A.R, then down to the smog tech.
I am a smog inspector and locate in northern CA.
The EPA likes to make things difficult for not only the vehicle's owner but also the people perform the test for the vehicle.
Major money spending not only from the vehicle's owner but also shops that are enforce and require update machinery to performed such test. Not to mention, the difficult explanation we have to give to the vehicle's owner.
Sorry, I got carry away.
7miles on the daily driven is not enought to set the monitor. I am not too clear about F-cars, I am very new at this and new owner less then 6months. But I have been doing smog inspection over 10years. Believe me, I know the hassel we all have to go thru. I can't even smog my own car, so imagine that....
for the temporary ticker that was given to you by the DMV, is more then enought time for you to set the monitor.
I would take Terry's suggestion, "take it to the professional"
post #15 of 32 Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Go bake a pizza, Mike!
post #16 of 32 Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Well the professional (DEALER) has had the car 2 weeks, still no go.

They have made some progress after putting in new spark plugs (why? since it passed the sniff test) and also new O2 sensors, the monitors are now switching on/off, but they are not staying on long enough to pass smog.

The dealer is working with Ferrari North America on this, checked out the ECU to make sure the recall was done, so no reflash required according to FNA. The car both went through the recall in 2001 AND had new ECU put in 2004 by dealer so there was some hope that the new ECU did not have the latest software with the recall from 2000, but nope its good. SD2 shows nothing wrong at all, just that the monitors are off. Car now has 2,000 miles on it since battery disconnect and who knows how many drive cycles, has to be 15-20 drive cycles by now.

Also gone through the evap system to try and get that monitor on, found nothing wrong. Dealer keeps saying "car seems fine, runs great, seems like a great car" and I keep saying "except it wont pass smog"

Its been suggested I take it to a independent now that I know the ECU does not need to reflashed.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Reading this with interest. A couple of things that are not always obvious (i.e discernable performance variation) that can trigger EVAP and O2 codes are air/vacuum leaks ( smoke test is a great detection method), damaged or internally collapsed breather hoses and weak MAF sensors.

post #18 of 32 Old 05-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

California is such a great place to own a car now.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #19 of 32 Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 117
What a treat it is......my 360 has been "grounded" for three weeks over this....

Anyone want a sweet 360.....only driven 3 times!

Present: 1999 360 Modena 116113
Past: 1986 GTS 64263
post #20 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Break out the Champagne and make it the good stuff, I OWN A FERRARI !

My car has passed SMOG!

Changing the plugs seems like it was a waste of money but the dealer says my car runs really good now (I thought it ran great before).

Changing the O2 sensors may have a waste or it may have helped, don't know.

My car has a new ECU so no reflashing like other 99's since I was already up to date, but FNA "updated" my ECU not once but several times and it finally passed. I am not sure what the difference is between the reflash and updates and I will try and find out for future reference but right now all I care about is IT PASSED !

Because I over heated in AZ on the day I picked it up and there is no record of oil changes in 2+ years (although the belts were done in Sept. 11 but no oil?) I am having them do all fluids flush/change and annual service so I start off at a known point.

I have been avoiding saying I own a Ferrari in case the worst happened and I had to get rid of this car, but now I will say it, I own a Ferrari.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode