F430 Any last Scuderia thoughts before I buy? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
Any last Scuderia thoughts before I buy?

Took a good 25 mile test drive yesterday of the 2008 Scuderia with 2003 miles (now 2028) from my local Ferrari dealer and I was very pleased with the experience. I drove it both on freeways and local roads, was able to really open it up getting up to speed. I now have a big appreciation for what it is. I have driven a few other 430's but this was my first Scud.

I was very happy with how little road noise I did hear. I was expecting much more. It also wasn't a creaky noisy beast like I thought it might with the soundproofing taken out. The gear shifts were remarkable. The suspension was pretty darn stiff but I wasn't uncomfortable. I will be taking the Gran Turismo on the longer drives not this. I think that this car might be worth the $40k extra I will pay instead of a regular nice 430. That said, if I don't get a Scuderia I will be purchasing a 430 as soon as I find one I would want.

I am about to pull the trigger but just want to ask those of you that understand the marketplace better a few questions.

If I want to trade up for a 458 in a few years is the Scuderia many multiple times more difficult to sell than a regular 430? Looks like my dealer has had this car for sale for a while (maybe as long as a year) yet it is a good price and is very clean. He told me he started asking $30k more than what he is willing to sell it to me know. I am thinking my Scuderia will be worth around $170k in a few years while a low miles 430 will be around $125-$145.

Other than quicker tire wear, any other mechanical or maintenance costs down the road to be aware of over and beyond a regular 430?

Again, the test drive was way better than I expected... Thanks for any advice.

Bruno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Bruno

For the money I wouldn't recommend anything but the Scud version look at all that CF heck an unequally loaded 458 is 400k.

I could drive my 16M forever no complaints and when you feel like playing it's as hard core as anything.

Take a look at how many 458's are on the market vs Scuds and at this point the numbers of production are about even.

Forget about the future live now - go get that beast and enjoy.

My guess is you will keep it a lot longer than you think.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Bruno

The Scud is a phenomenal Ferrari, you wont have any regrets!

It was built in lower numbers so the residuals are much better than a standard F430.

No 458 comes close to giving you the same experience due to its dual clutch gearbox.

Go get it, you only live once!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

post #4 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for the encouragement and replies. From what I have seen it looks like the Scuderia has lost a lot more value than the 430's have. This one I am looking at sold new for somewhere around $310k. I am now buying it for $190k. $120k loss after 4 years and 2k miles. Yikes! I am happy to not be the first owner. Most 430's in 2008 were sold around $200k and are still selling for around $150k. Again, I am hoping that most of the initial depreciation has been taken but I am not sure if the comment about the residuals being better is correct. That said, you have had a bunch of F-Cars and I zero till now so I am interested in learning more. Please help me understand better. I am starting to sound needy so will stop now.

Thanks,
Bruno
post #5 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Owner

The late 09's were discounted by 30 - 40k.

Scuds were being shipping with no customers to the dealer at the very end and dealers were unloading them at a discount as the 458 orders were beginning to arrive.

Then again customers were paying 50k+ over sticker to be the first to own one in 08.

None of this Ferrari stuff makes sense til it's you and the car on a good stretch of road.

Bruno think of it as taking home the hottest chic at the bar with a smoking body and big silicon boobies someone else paid for but never got to play with them.

I don't understand a low milage Scud.

Last edited by champagne612; 04-25-2012 at 04:46 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVIV View Post
Thanks for the encouragement and replies. From what I have seen it looks like the Scuderia has lost a lot more value than the 430's have. This one I am looking at sold new for somewhere around $310k. I am now buying it for $190k. $120k loss after 4 years and 2k miles. Yikes! I am happy to not be the first owner. Most 430's in 2008 were sold around $200k and are still selling for around $150k. Again, I am hoping that most of the initial depreciation has been taken but I am not sure if the comment about the residuals being better is correct. That said, you have had a bunch of F-Cars and I zero till now so I am interested in learning more. Please help me understand better. I am starting to sound needy so will stop now.

Thanks,
Bruno
I think you are making the right move in choosing a Scud over a 430. But, they are totally different experiences IMHO, so usually its not "one or the other" and more "THIS is what I want in my Ferrari".

Fwiw, 430 coupes were no where near $200k in 2008. They were $240k range. The scud at ~$300k was a lot more kit for $60k more.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Bruno, owned my Scud for 1 year and >10'km's. Wonderful, great machine, nothing to think about mechanically.
Regarding your depreciation question I would like to say the following: All these cars 360,430,612,458,599 are non-collector cars, also not their derivatives like Scud's, GTO's, GTC's etc. That means IMO that their price curves and absolute prices will get narrower to each other AND in the end match each other almost over time.
Conclusion: If you buy a non-collector car, and depreciation IS a issue for you, then buy the cars with 3-5 years of age and jump up to the next level as soon as this next level is 3-5 years old. Just my rough 2 cents !

Go for the Scud. Its a GREAT car
post #8 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 828
Garage
Congratulations!

Re: 458Italia
Did you read the Michael Sheehan's March newsletter on ATR and Carbon Fibre chassis use in the 16M/SCUD but not the 458? Just possibly the SCUD uses more advanced chassis technology than the 458...

FROM MARCH 2012 MICHAEL SHEEHAN ARTICLE:
Ferrari's moves
Ferrari followed the McLaren F1 in 1995 with the F50, which was built on a carbon-fiber tub by ATR Composites, which is near the Ferrari factory. The F50's price was half the McLaren's, but its weight was 2,700 pounds. The Enzo followed in 2002, but weight jumped to 3,000 pounds.

Carbon was now everywhere in the world of high-end exotic cars, and ATR built tubs for Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Bugatti, Peugeot and Maserati. Alas, ATR grew too quickly. When Porsche slashed production of the Carrera GT from 1,500 units to 1,270 units, ATR was hopelessly overstretched and thrown into bankruptcy. Ferrari and Lamborghini were forced to take partial control of ATR to continue production, but the demise of ATR slowed Ferrari's carbon fiber planning and explains, in part, why the latest Ferrari 458 uses what is now old-school aluminum technology.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for all the help. I just got off the phone with the dealer and I pulled the trigger. This felt like the same kind of feeling the first time I went sky diving. You know, the fluttery heart because you know you are doing something crazy but the rush of...doing something crazy. I went ahead and got the CPO. I figured I kept thinking about it - so that answers my question. Now I don't have to worry about anything. The dealer said the car will be ready mid-week next week. Will take pictures. It was the test drive that did me in...

Bruno
post #10 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVIV View Post
Thanks for all the help. I just got off the phone with the dealer and I pulled the trigger. This felt like the same kind of feeling the first time I went sky diving. You know, the fluttery heart because you know you are doing something crazy but the rush of...doing something crazy. I went ahead and got the CPO. I figured I kept thinking about it - so that answers my question. Now I don't have to worry about anything. The dealer said the car will be ready mid-week next week. Will take pictures. It was the test drive that did me in...

Bruno
Congrats!

Dang that's a long wait - have fun watching you tube videos for the next 120 hours.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Congrats Bruno! The Scud is one of the most achieved Ferrari's. The 430 is the last manual, the Scud the last real rough and hot blooded Ferrari These cars, even driven slowly, still give you a lot of special impressions and sensations.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
You bought my future car.

Where are the pictures?
post #13 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
A little advise, make sur the exhaust headers are in good condition. My friend has replaced them already 3 times on his 16M!
post #14 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezdds View Post
Where are the pictures?
I stopped into the dealer last night to check and see how things are going to get her ready for me to pick up. Here is a pic in the shop. They lifted it up for me to walk under and see what it looks like under the engine. You can see in the low left corner of the pic the bottom engine (shroud?) covering. Was really cool to look up into the engine.

I asked them about the headers and they said that since they have to do with air emissions that they are covered under warranty either 8 years or 10 years. Good to know!

They installed the skid plates under the nose and I was very impressed with the OEM look and fit! The plates were shaped much better than the ones they installed on my Maserati GTS. I have scraped enough curbs while even trying to be careful and taking at an angle to know that I needed these.

I will be picking her up either tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. I thought I was handling the waiting well, until 3am this morning when I woke up and couldn't sleep any more thinking about getting my first F-Car...finally! Very excited.

Bruno
Attached Images

2008 Scuderia
2010 Maserati GranTurismo S - it has a 430 engine so it counts
post #15 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Bruno
Your Scud looks fantastic. Not long to wait now, I'm sure it will be worth every second...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode