F430 Brake steel discs - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 197
Brake steel discs

Should I wait for f430 warns me about the brakes and then go for maintenance?
I did a service just a week back and dealer didn't tell anything to me about the pads and discs. However disks look fine but I have whistle on very low speed or stop at signals when brakes get warm (like 4-5 km drive). I upload the photos to give me your ideas. Can you say from pics if its time to change now?

front:

rear:

F430 F1

Last edited by Pooya; 04-24-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
If your car was just in for service and you need to turn to the internet for advice about the condition of your brakes you need a new mechanic.

You paid them good money. Why aren't you asking them this question?
post #3 of 13 Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If your car was just in for service and you need to turn to the internet for advice about the condition of your brakes you need a new mechanic.

You paid them good money. Why aren't you asking them this question?
That's not the case to ask them. the point is, is the rust around pad the cause of whistle sound in stoppage time or the pads condition is bad.

dealer can simply change the pads. here is a small city with tons of ferraris. if you want to book min you have to book someday next week! and to check something will cost 2-300 and triple of that money of time!

this is the reason sometimes I consult simple things with owners here as they drove f430 longer and more far than me.

F430 F1

post #4 of 13 Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
You did very well to ask it here mate I don't see anything abnormal on your pads. But steel rotors tend to be quite noisy so I would worry about this. This may be caused by brake dust accumulating on the rotors. It's worth giving here a good brake session like you were bedding them in. There is a good chance that the whistling will disappear

Last edited by StefVan; 04-28-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 13 Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
You did very well to ask it here mate I don't see anything abnormal on your pads. But steel rotors tend to be quite noisy so I would worry about this. This may be caused by brake dust accumulating on the rotors. It's worth giving here a good brake session like you were bedding them in. There is a good chance that the whistling will disappear
Thanks alot Stef,

Since january till april the car was just parked. After that, I just washed the car 3 times which every time it leaves rust on discs. The bedding in session can be a great idea. going to do it now.

F430 F1
post #6 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
P- Steel brake discs just about always rust when not used. True for any car unless you get ceramics or someone starts making them from stainless steel. If they are rusting, you are not driving the car enough. Cleans that rust right off very efficiently.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
brakes

i think you can also use this blue adhesive that goes between the pads and the pad bracket, its used to stop the pads from squeeling, i always ask my mechanic to use it when the pads are changed,. Also, ceramic brake pads are much less noisy than the metal sintered kind, i use them on my truck, the only issue with these pads is that you always have to turn the rotors when you change pads.because ceramic pads generate more heat, and the rotors always warp a bit. Years ago, when using metal pads,on my RX7 and my other truck,,i used to be able to change pads and not have to turn the rotors, the ceramic pads have better stopping power.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 92
Hey Pooya,

I agree the forum is a great way to find out quick and easy answers to some of your questions. When you decide to change your pads, check out our Quiet, Low Dust Ceramic Pads here at Formula Dynamics. You will definitely not have the rust and squeal issue you are having now when you move to a ceramic compound similar to our pads.

They are our #1 selling pad compound by far.

Click Here --> Street Quiet / Low Dust Street Brake Pad Kit

If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call at (702) 430-1040

Cyril
post #9 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Owner

Interesting product Cyril. Just to make sure, do these Ceramic pads work with the OEM F430 steel rotors as a direct replacement of the OEM pads? Do they integrate the pad wear contact wire?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Great! that's very important. do they come with sensors? if so I would like to try them on my car...

F430 F1
post #11 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 92
Hey guys,

I just spoke with Jeff about this to confirm what I was thinking and he agreed that our Quiet, Low Dust Ceramic pads will definitely help your situation however it won't cure your situation because the rust pretty much is coming from your rotor and being a Ferrari having high end rotors, the higher the performance capabilities of the rotor, the more iron content in the rotor, which means the more probability of rust.

Our pads are made with a mechanical brake sensor which will alert you when its time to change your pads but they don't utilize the brake sensors on the car. The sensors on a lot of cars can be notorioulsy inconsistent in reading pad wear, but the mechanical sensors are always going to let you know properly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Cyril
post #12 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Impressive photos of the pads with the wheels still mounted.

Brembo brake grease is thick copper based that should be used.

Some make the mistake of spreading it all over the back of the pad where it contacts the caliper pistons. That does nothing to stop pad chatter or squeal.

You need to apply it at the contact points along the edges of the pads where it slides on the caliper.
Attached Images

"Political Correctness"

A doctrine, fostered by the minority, promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Owner

Has anyone used already these Quiet, Low Dust Ceramic pads? Alex, do you have some references of owners who have installed them? Who produces these pads? Sorry for these question but as you know, security and durability is number one

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode