Scud/16M modification thread! - Page 51 - Ferrari Life
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1001 of 1518 Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Westchester ,NY. Sarasota, FL
Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Really anxious to get feedback on the MPSS As the P Corsas are almost dead.
I haveMICHELIN Latitudes on my Cayenne turbo S and they r great
RAKLAW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1002 of 1518 Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbonvillain View Post
Pretty sure I am running MPSS' in exactly the factory size? They released them this year I believe.
I messed up as my 16M is lowered and caught the order before they shipped.

Need to go with factory or raise my car if I want to install taller and wider Michelins that I posted earlier.

Factory Michelin size is out of stock - being impatient will either go with RE's or back to Pirelli.

One thing about the Michelins that worries me is getting them warm before they offer grip.

Pirelli apparently fixed some old issues and the RE in wet conditions doesn't make me feel comfortable.

Pirelli's went 2500 miles then 6 - 30 minute track sessions with outside temps in the high 70's.

Also Pirelli was at the track over the weekend and they offered a lot of help to many owners including myself.

I will get everything aligned once they put on the new rubber
champagne612 is offline  
post #1003 of 1518 Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Russell996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK. New Forest.
Ferrari Life Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I messed up as my 16M is lowered and caught the order before they shipped.

Need to go with factory or raise my car if I want to install taller and wider Michelins that I posted earlier.

Factory Michelin size is out of stock - being impatient will either go with RE's or back to Pirelli.

One thing about the Michelins that worries me is getting them warm before they offer grip.

Pirelli apparently fixed some old issues and the RE in wet conditions doesn't make me feel comfortable.

Pirelli's went 2500 miles then 6 - 30 minute track sessions with outside temps in the high 70's.

Also Pirelli was at the track over the weekend and they offered a lot of help to many owners including myself.

I will get everything aligned once they put on the new rubber
Is your car lowered beyond euro spec? I'm pretty sure lots of guys fit the wider tyres without a problem (they are only 3.5mm taller).

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
Russell996 is offline  
 
post #1004 of 1518 Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Is your car lowered beyond euro spec? I'm pretty sure lots of guys fit the wider tyres without a problem (they are only 3.5mm taller).
It's very close perhaps slightly lower than Euro Spec.

After running on the track and seeing all the crap that comes off wider tires including our cars the wider width will add additional abuse to the 16M's lower body on and off the track.

My other issue is the trailer side exit / door opening is too high by a 1/2 inch - so the car being lowered makes it tough for entry and exit without scratching the door which I can fix by placing a pad of some sort where the tire sits to elevate the car.

I think setting up these cars for track days vs daily driving was done right at the factory.

The only issue with the Pirelli system is old technology while Bridgestone / Michelin have newer materials and improved technology.

It's interesting to note the Mclaren has the Pirelli's - so what the heck do I know other than sticking with the Pirelli
champagne612 is offline  
post #1005 of 1518 Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Russell996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK. New Forest.
Ferrari Life Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post

The only issue with the Pirelli system is old technology while Bridgestone / Michelin have newer materials and improved technology.

It's interesting to note the Mclaren has the Pirelli's - so what the heck do I know other than sticking with the Pirelli
Good to know the McLaren also relies on old technology.

I believe a lot of OEM tyre fitment is down to inducements from manufacturers, just imagine the kudos and ongoing business it generates.

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
Russell996 is offline  
post #1006 of 1518 Old 08-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Owner
 
RichardCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich for 23 years
Ferrari Life Posts: 416
Go with the RE 10's they are brilliant
RichardCH is offline  
post #1007 of 1518 Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Good to know the McLaren also relies on old technology.

I believe a lot of OEM tyre fitment is down to inducements from manufacturers, just imagine the kudos and ongoing business it generates.
Agree - but there is a partnership that goes hand in hand with car manufacturers / tire manufacturers resulting in the best tire for the track yet within tolerance for road use.

After hitting some high speeds at Road America one of the fastest tracks in the US.

Comes down to do I want to question at WOT 140 - 155 mph if the tire "guru" bone head at Tire Rack knew more than the factory engineers.

Changing sizes diameters - at the end of the day for me isn't worth the risk to gain a little less wear and or a better perceived appearance handling feel etc.

Four cars were wadded up last weekend - one could have been me considering my passenger rear blew out in the trailer on the way home.

Can't imagine the insurance companies who will look into these accidents let alone noticing they were running non factory specs.

Net net - if you think you need tires get em - a fresh set is better than one with wear!
champagne612 is offline  
post #1008 of 1518 Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
I agree with Russell, it's more cases of who gives out the most money, not that a particular tire gives better handling characteristics. Why do you think Michelin PSS's are standard on 458's now, because the Pirelli's suck.

McLaren is losing a ton of performance with the P-Zero's. At a minimum the car needs PSS's or P-Zero corsa's.

Spend the money and return your car to the factory height, don't know why, but many of the "Seattle" crowd lower their Ferrari's.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
markjayw is offline  
post #1009 of 1518 Old 08-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCH View Post
Go with the RE 10's they are brilliant
What size did you go with?

Mark - the Michelins are a month out.

I still think the Pirelli while they may suck on the street / wear they have good compound for the track.

All tires are going to be a compromise unless you have a street set and track set.

Considered buying Trofeos and another set of wheels for track days especially with having the trailer.

I know at least once a year the 16M will be tracked at the Annual Ferrari Event - driving it and then killing them at the track seemed like a good idea if I don't find an extra set.

Also will most likely raise the car - those Seattle guys do get a lil nuts
champagne612 is offline  
post #1010 of 1518 Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
What size did you go with?

Mark - the Michelins are a month out.

I still think the Pirelli while they may suck on the street / wear they have good compound for the track.

All tires are going to be a compromise unless you have a street set and track set.

Considered buying Trofeos and another set of wheels for track days especially with having the trailer.

I know at least once a year the 16M will be tracked at the Annual Ferrari Event - driving it and then killing them at the track seemed like a good idea if I don't find an
extra set.

Also will most likely raise the car - those Seattle guys do get a lil nuts
There is a reason the PSS are a month out.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
markjayw is offline  
post #1011 of 1518 Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Spoke to the dealer this morning and we agreed to test the Bridgestone tire.

Reading other forums for information is very misleading with their choice of tire and wheel set ups.

What they don't tell you is all the endless adjustments necessary for the car to perform like the factory settings.

One change leads to 5 more changes and chasing down issues is a full time job risky and expensive especially if one gets it wrong.

Again - let me say that 4 Ferrari's wrecked last weekend - whether it was due to driver error or car set up etc. it's all on tape to be determined especially when submitted to insurance if you aren't dead.

Playing with these cars is serious and I strongly recommend against it unless you have a harness roll bar cf helmet etc.

Adding rubber to a wheel turning at 160 mph+ and 1g is just insanity - IMO

Capristo sent me their sensor to fix the CEL and hopefully after 2 months the car will pass inspection.

Last edited by champagne612; 08-07-2013 at 08:54 AM.
champagne612 is offline  
post #1012 of 1518 Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Russell996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK. New Forest.
Ferrari Life Posts: 700
I'm sure this isn't new to anyone else but I've not seen it before.

Nice 360 degree spin of the car.
FERRARI SCUDERIA SPIDER 16M

Brief launch video.
Scuderia Spider 16M

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
Russell996 is offline  
post #1013 of 1518 Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Owner
 
RichardCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich for 23 years
Ferrari Life Posts: 416
Doug you got a cell with the 200 Cell Capristo's ?? I never did, I have one with my 100 Cell Larini's now but have just put O2 Spacers on so hope that fixes it
RichardCH is offline  
post #1014 of 1518 Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCH View Post
Doug you got a cell with the 200 Cell Capristo's ?? I never did, I have one with my 100 Cell Larini's now but have just put O2 Spacers on so hope that fixes it
Yes.

It helps to keep the valves closed til the car heats up to temperature.

The spacers are tricky - they work but it's just a matter of time before they fail from what I was told.

I was concerned with the spacers that there would be no way to know if something else went wrong and continue to drive / abuse the engine so I finally e-mailed Capristo and within two days I had the sensor at no charge.

Capristo recommends a sensor with every US order that tells the computer 2+2 = 5 so perhaps we have different emissions ... Thank You California

It's all worth it - the Capristo on the 16M sounded incredible last weekend on the track and there must have been 10 guys ask what it was ... also kept the engine cooler and the additional hp is always a plus
champagne612 is offline  
post #1015 of 1518 Old 08-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Doug, why are you tracking the 16M? Get a track car. Lotus Exige V6 cup, KTM, Aeriel Atom, etc., etc.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
markjayw is offline  
post #1016 of 1518 Old 08-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
Doug, why are you tracking the 16M? Get a track car. Lotus Exige V6 cup, KTM, Aeriel Atom, etc., etc.
I just had to do it ... it will be a once a year if not more.

There were 3 other 16M's 9 Scuds 575SA GTO's and 458's Stradale's etc. running all weekend. Even the Admiral was out there racing his lil blue car with other multi million dollar cars.

Looking for a track car - found a 360 and 430 challenge car time to pull the trigger
champagne612 is offline  
post #1017 of 1518 Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Owner
 
16M Down Under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Finally a sunny day to go for a drive and to test the new mats.
Attached Images
 

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
16M Down Under is offline  
post #1018 of 1518 Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
Finally a sunny day to go for a drive and to test the new mats.
Can you get another set of mats? I need the same one's for my yellow 16M.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
markjayw is offline  
post #1019 of 1518 Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Owner
 
16M Down Under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
Can you get another set of mats? I need the same one's for my yellow 16M.
The 'DuraPlush' technology is global. You don't need to incur freight costs and delays. Just go to a local 'advertising doormat' manufacturer and I'm sure they could make a set up for you.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
16M Down Under is offline  
post #1020 of 1518 Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Russell996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK. New Forest.
Ferrari Life Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
Finally a sunny day to go for a drive and to test the new mats.
Very nice, great reproduction of the logo.

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
Russell996 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale