360 Sport Mode vs Clutch Life - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 42
Sport Mode vs Clutch Life

In my discussions with the service manager at the Ferrari Dealer that did my belt service, he mentioned to me that putting the car in non- auto is the hardest thing you can do on the clutch next to using sport mode.

This is exactly OPPOSITE of what I've heard and read on the forums. I was always told
1.) Auto mode slips the clutch to make smoother, more comfortable shifts but wears on the clutch much more.
2.) Put the F1 into neutral at long stop lights in case your points aren't set accurately, it won't let the clutch overheat
3.) Sport mode has more aggressive and faster shifts. Making for less wear on the clutch but a less comfortable ride.

He disagreed with all three saying those were all reasons clutches go bad prematurely.
His advice:
"Shifting into neutral at a stop light is unnecessary shifting causing more clutch wear:

"Auto mode decides the best intervals to shift at, therefore reducing clutch wear"

"Sport Mode overheats clutches and wears them out"

"If you chose not to use the AUTO mode, don't downshift manually, it wears the clutch out very fast and is unnecessary as the car will downshift on its own at the correct RPM's and Speed"

I have yet to use Auto mode or Sport mode. I don't back up hills and I try not to use reverse if I can keep from it.. Am I doin what I need to or what? I'm getting conflicting advice... Another stab at filling Ferrari's cash register or honest advice from someone helping a poor newbie?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 42
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/mo...nce-price.html

This thread helped a lot and answered a lot of my questions, but no mention of the sport mode...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode