F430 A few 2008 Scuderia Purchase Questions - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
A few 2008 Scuderia Purchase Questions

I am about to pull the trigger on this 2k mile 2008 Scuderia from my local dealer. Here is a link to the car:

2008 Ferrari F430 Scuderia - Pre-Owned Ferrari - Vehicle Inventory

I already purchased a 2010 Maserati GTS new from dealer and have had a great experience with that car and with the dealership ever since. They are so nice - wonder if they want more of my money? I don't plan on trading in the Gran Turismo. It is just such a beautiful car and fun to daily drive.

I am pushing hard to get a CPO (certified pre owned 1 year full warranty coverage) along with the deal I am cutting with them. On a 2k mile car that is just out of warranty and has never been track driven should I be wanting one so badly? They say their cost is in the thousands to provide this. Should I lay off the CPO and use the good will towards other services I want thrown in like skid plates under front? I had the plates installed on my Maserati and have been grateful every time I hear it scrape even while leaving the driveway at an angle.

Anything really jump out looking at this car's options wise that will make it an albatross to sell/trade in in a few years if I decide to change to a difference F-car? The steering wheel was blah when I first saw it but it is growing on me. I don't hate it now. I wouldn't mind an all black one but guess the $$ to change it out is many multiple thousands.

I plan on putting 1,500 - 2,000 miles a year on it. I put 3k miles the first year and a half on the Maserati so I think I have a good handle on the amount of driving I will do. These cars have already taken a pretty massive depreciation hit since new. Assume I keep it for 3 years and put 5k miles more on it. Am I dreaming to think it could still be worth $170k by then? Should I plan on even greater depreciation?

I just have the test drive left to do once it stops raining and make sure I like driving such a raw beast. I have driven a few 430's but not the Scuderia. Thanks for any help and advice and I am open to any other tips/suggestions. I really want my first Ferrari purchase to be a good experience and the first of many!

Thanks,
Bruno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
Very welcome to FerrariLife Bruno I took a look at this Scud, very nice one. But I was surprised so see that the prices are still that high in the US? 200K, I guess this MY2008 car must be in perfect condition. As the car has only 2k miles, I would consider a CPO. This car has not been driven enough to make sure that there will be no issues. Problems like the F1 actuator can be very expensive and most of the major failures always happen in the firsts years of ownership. A PPI will never reveal something that is going to fail in 6 months

I'm a car keeper, so I can't advise you on depreciation. I have the freedom to drive my car as most as possible. 51.500 km / 32.000 miles on the F430 is miles away of 5k miles All I can say is that the low milage cars are not the best cars because a 32K miles engine delivers well more power.

You have a GTS, cool This is my next purchase This is the greatest car I can imagine in addition to my 430. As you bought yours new, has it been bullet proof? In the first 2k miles, how many times did you had to go to your dealer to fix things?

All the best with your new purchase
post #3 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
A Scud would be the perfect addition to your GTS. So you'll know what you are really missing put getting a half baked Ferrari. Lol. Kidding. The GTS is a nightly grand tourer and head turner but the Scud just bega you to drive her at her limit. Hope it works out for you with the CPO. Pics once you get her ok?

Meanwhile how about pix of your GTS?

post #4 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to Flife Bruno

I received a quote after speaking with some other guys - 2800 was the consensus price.

Decided against it - the one year doesn't cover what I was most concerned about.

Depreciation isn't something you should worry about - the other owner ate most of that sandwich.

I actually looked into this Scud and thought it was beautiful the steering wheel IMO is a cool touch.

Few suggestions

Make sure the CF is perfect - no milky hazing and the lower air diffuser is not nicked.

Check the brakes out thoroughly - one rock in the calipers could do a lot of damage.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to Ferrari Life Bruno. Can't comment on the depreciation issue personally, but I agree with Doug, the previous owner has taken a lion's share already.

I quite like the steering wheel. Not too much red.

Good luck with the purchase, a Scud will be a great addition to your GTS.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #6 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 06:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
.You have a GTS, cool This is my next purchase This is the greatest car I can imagine in addition to my 430. As you bought yours new, has it been bullet proof? In the first 2k miles, how many times did you had to go to your dealer to fix things?
Bruno, I would push for the CPO or if you've squeezed the deal dry then add it on yourself as 2k miles is not enough to know for sure this car will be faultless and if something goes wrong thats covered by the cover it could have cost you way more than this price! Do remember that you're on about spending nearly $200k for this car so don't fall short of CPO cover for a mere $3k more, it may seem a lot, but if something goes wrong you'll be glad you took it! For me this is a must have on any car bought from any Dealership!

Agree with Doug's comments on checking the CF as 2008 Scuds are particularly prone to Milky CF, even my 16M which was a 2009 build needed several CF parts replaced under warranty and if you need to do same and they're not covered by warranty it's gonna cost you!

BTW skid plates obtained from Hill Engineering should only cost you circa $250-300 supplied & fitted from your Dealer

Stef, I have owned 2 GTS from new, both had MC Shift boxes, and proved faultless over 5k miles in each. In November last year I upgraded to Maserati's magnificent MC Stradale, and without wishing to tempt fate, this one has been flawless to date over its 3k miles also. The European MC Stradale is a different car to the US version, its not an auto and is very much stripped out & hardcore, its their version of the Scud. Whether an MC or GTS version these are great cars and are a perfect add on to any owners Ferrari. You will doubtless already know the engine is built at the Ferrari factory and the F1 gearbox on the MC Shift is from the 599 so it's proving bullet proof. Maserati's have come along way quality-wise in the last 10 years and IMHO are a very good ownership proposition nowadays. They sound amazing too, so Im sure you'll enjoy yours when you get one!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 04-15-2012 at 06:19 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 87
BVIV, A year ago I was in the same situation as you are now, and I also ended-up buying a 2k miles 2008 red Scuderia.

While searching, I saw a few suspicious low-mileage units, including one where they claimed the previous owner had fitted new carbon brakes because the older ones rusted after washing the car (that sound a bit bogus to me). In my experience, if the dealer has something to hide, they get very uncomfortable the moment you start asking specific questions abiut the history or the condition of the car.

I would recommend you ask them to connect the Ferrari diagnosis laptop to show you specifically the clutch and disc brakes wear. In my car's case, they were 3% and 5% respectively, proof (in my opinion) that the car had not been tracked.

Current & past: 365 GT 2+2, 550 Maranello, F430 Scuderia
Other: Mercedes 230 SL 'Pagode', BMW M3 E30 Evo II, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2 and a few other toys.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and sound advice. I will ask to see the diagnostic computer for sure so I can see the numbers for myself. Can they print out a report so I can get a baseline when I purchase?

I am out of town for a week and won't be able to test drive the car until I get back. Will give something to look forward to. I have some really crappy pics of the Maserati in the garage but won't post many here compared to all your professional looking pics next to castles and mountain roads. Here are a few off my phone from a few weeks ago when a business associate happened to bring his coupe to visit me at work. Obviously my GTS is the red one in the back.

Oh well, I don't mind having two red sports cars. When I sell the GTS in a few years I will make sure the next touring car (maybe a 599 or California) will be a different color.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Bruno
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Owner

I assume the dealer owns the car?

If so - trust me they took down all the information before they purchased.

Simply ask for all the documents when they performed their in house PPI.

Service notifies sales of all deficiencies - if it's consigned should take less than 30 minutes to come up with wear data and forward off to you the results.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post

Make sure the CF is perfect - no milky hazing and the lower air diffuser is not nicked.

Check the brakes out thoroughly - one rock in the calipers could do a lot of damage.
Is the hazing on the CF only an issue on the 08s or also on the 09s?
post #11 of 12 Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Is the hazing on the CF only an issue on the 08s or also on the 09s?
Supposedly in mid to late 09 the issues were corrected as Ferrari switched suppliers.

The headlight moisture also seems to follow that timeline.

The guys who seem to really care - have removed all the cf and sent it off matching all the cf parts.

It seems there is a lot of different variations especially when you replace a few right next to the original.

Eventually there will be better polishes for cf - not requiring removal to restore.

I really need to research this and find the best way to care and maintain cf.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The dealer has come back firm at the reduced price we discussed before I left on a trip this week. He is giving me the option of getting the car at that price or will "give" me the CPO option for $4,000. Fine it is 2% of purchase price but I have always hated buying an unused warranty in the past. I got mixed results in answers before. I am not asking any of you to make the decision for me but I am grateful for all your insights. That said...I am getting excited for getting the car next week Bruno

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode