360 360 Exhaust options - Ferrari Life
View Poll Results: Which exhaust for a 360 Modena?
Tubi 20 24.69%
Capristo 21 25.93%
Larini 4 4.94%
Novitec 0 0%
X-OST 2 2.47%
Standard Ferrari 8 9.88%
Other 26 32.10%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 129 Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
360 Exhaust options

Gents,
I'm aware that this has been done before, so forgive me for starting a new thread, but my query comes with it's own unique problem.

Once again, my 360 failed it's annual NCT inspection in Ireland, for the single reason of exhaust noise. I can go to war with the national road authority again, but this time round I'm thinking of changing the exhaust. Any of you who have heard my 360 will know it's rather loud, currently benefitting from an exhaust system custom fabricated by Nick Cartwright when I bought it, BUT one that measures 125 dB at 3,000 rpm.

If I'm going to put a new system in, then I'll want to be sure it will pass the annual inspection test with ease - the test is limits are max 100dB at 4,000 rpm.

I'm doing the usual deliberating, Tubi, Capristo, Larini, Novitec, X-OST, (any others) but with one eye on the standards that I have to meet here, and another eye on the potential cost for each system.

Of course, the ultimate music emanating from the rear of the car is most important of all, so that will influence any final decision to be made, but ultimately it will still need to be sub 100 dB at 4k rpm.

Any advice on which way I should be looking?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 04-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,852
Barry- Kreissieg, then Capristo.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 129 Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,318
Barry, I would suggest Capristo. They can make a custom muffler depending on your noise level expectations. Anders T had the same issue as you (in Sweden) and ordered them a specific muffler without killing the original engine sound. Valves closed, it was quiter than stock.

post #4 of 129 Old 04-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Barry- Kreissieg, then Capristo.

Kreissig sounds amazing but will that be too loud as well?
post #5 of 129 Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Barry, Capristo do a remote control unit for the valve exhaust....you can have the valves closed during the testing and then open them up to get the aural Ferrari V8 sound we all love so much!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #6 of 129 Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Jay- Kreissieg is like Capristo, there are different loudness levels available, plus valved options. Like Capristo, they and Novitec are the most expensive options out there.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 04-03-2012 at 08:05 AM.
post #7 of 129 Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Have been researching Capristo and options for the 360 seem to be either

a) Twin sound or
b) 1:3 valve control system

Seems that the 1:3 system might suit my needs best. Scuderia Systems tell me its almost as quite as a stock system in level 1 (valves closed mode) and very loud in level 3 (valves open mode).

Does anyone have this system on their F car? Any experiences with it would be most appreciated.

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #8 of 129 Old 04-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Barry- That Capristo combined with their remote control for the pneumatic valves is almost an ideal solution. Expensive, but bulletproof.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #9 of 129 Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Expensive, but bulletproof.
Yes, the former is correct.

post #10 of 129 Old 04-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
Capristo Twin Sound questions

My 360 stock exhaust silencer is cracking in the centre so it needs replacing. This also gives me a chance to look at other makes but the task is quite overwhelming with so much to choose from - capristo, tubi, kreiss, larini, xost, timate, novitec, fabspeed, and it goes on forever! It is also quite difficult to ascertain their differences from youtube links, quite far from the real experience.

I am looking for the best of both worlds - (i) a system that can be as quiet as stock when I am pulling into a hotel drive way or coming home late without waking the neighbours; and (ii) letting the horse scream F1 on a highway. From all the reviews and clips, it looks like the Capristo Twin Sound with wireless remote fits the bill squarely.

I am wondering if anyone has a personal experience to share, and in particular I have the following questions:
(1) when the valves are closed, is it as quiet as stock? (some reviews claim that it is actually quieter than stock but i find it hard to believe).
(2) with the closed valve function, does the system know how to automatically open up to prevent overheating and other damages?
(3) with the open valve function, does it create any inadvertent problems? I had thought the stock exhaust opens and closes to regulate and balance the system, so is doing it manually advisable?
(4) last but not least, is the wireless remote system sturdy enough to withstand the heat from the engine compartment? I mean do the wires and sensor melt at some point and a regular refitting is required?

Many thanks for your thoughts
post #11 of 129 Old 04-08-2012, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrancingHorse70 View Post
I am looking for the best of both worlds - (i) a system that can be as quiet as stock when I am pulling into a hotel drive way or coming home late without waking the neighbours; and (ii) letting the horse scream F1 on a highway. From all the reviews and clips, it looks like the Capristo Twin Sound with wireless remote fits the bill squarely.

I am wondering if anyone has a personal experience to share, and in particular I have the following questions:
(1) when the valves are closed, is it as quiet as stock? (some reviews claim that it is actually quieter than stock but i find it hard to believe).
(2) with the closed valve function, does the system know how to automatically open up to prevent overheating and other damages?
(3) with the open valve function, does it create any inadvertent problems? I had thought the stock exhaust opens and closes to regulate and balance the system, so is doing it manually advisable?
(4) last but not least, is the wireless remote system sturdy enough to withstand the heat from the engine compartment? I mean do the wires and sensor melt at some point and a regular refitting is required?

Many thanks for your thoughts
I'm in a similar predicament, as per this thread. I've been on to the UK supplier of Capristo and in the last couple of days they have confirmed the following:

1) The 1/3 system is approx 10 dB louder than the stock 360 (when in level 1 mode).
2) The 1/3 system is under 100 dB at 4,000 rpm (when in level 1 mode)

Can't answer your other questions unfortunately, but I'd be interested in the answers if anyone else can.

post #12 of 129 Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 AM
Owner

Barry, does your horse have (a) manifolds, precats, cats or (b) headers, test pipes sans cats? I was told that the former set up is suitable for the twin sound valve system as the loudness would be muffled by the precats and cats so that when the flow bypasses the muffler, it would not be deafeningly loud. I'm verifying this with Antonio Capristo right now... As for the latter set up, apparently Stage 3 may be more suitable as the flow will go through the muffler.

My dealer also told me that the remote is to keep the valves opened and is more for performance. Without the remote, the system will operate as per the ECU programme to open/close the valves at varying rpms. As I don't want it loud at slow speeds, I won't be needing the remote.

Last but not least, when valves are closed, it is louder than stock but not outrageously so, and so I have been told

I think I'll put my money on it.

HOpe that helps.
post #13 of 129 Old 04-08-2012, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Barry, does your horse have (a) manifolds, precats, cats or (b) headers, test pipes sans cats? I was told that the former set up is suitable for the twin sound valve system as the loudness would be muffled by the precats and cats so that when the flow bypasses the muffler, it would not be deafeningly loud. I'm verifying this with Antonio Capristo right now... As for the latter set up, apparently Stage 3 may be more suitable as the flow will go through the muffler.

My dealer also told me that the remote is to keep the valves opened and is more for performance. Without the remote, the system will operate as per the ECU programme to open/close the valves at varying rpms. As I don't want it loud at slow speeds, I won't be needing the remote.

Last but not least, when valves are closed, it is louder than stock but not outrageously so, and so I have been told

I think I'll put my money on it.

HOpe that helps.
I'm in category A (I think!). Interesting point you make re the system without the remote. Basically you are saying that it is the same system, except that it decides when to open/close the valves as opposed to the driver deciding. Am I right in that assumption?

If still, I think I'd prefer the option of having the control, though what would be nice would be a system that you could have either manual or auto option depending on your choice.

post #14 of 129 Old 04-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Owner

if my understanding is correct - the normal option would be the "auto" option ie the ECU decides when to open/close. The remote option is the "open" function, so that you can open it all the time if you wish. But it is kinda strange for it to be so loud when you are moving at 30km/h into a drive way or a pedestrian town. So unless one is using it for track days, it's hard to see using much of the remote/ open function. But then again, would love to hear real user's experience.
post #15 of 129 Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Barry- Many owners want the car loud pretty much all the time except maybe when cruising or in their own neighborhood. There are two Capristo remote systems. One gives you two choices, pneumatic valves open (solenoid valve bypassed electrically and closed all the time so no vacuum gets through), or controlled by the Motronic ECU, where the bypass solenoid allows vacuum on the schedule below from Stef. The other remote system is programmable so you can set your own schedule of when the valves open and close. Many owners, including Stef, have the simple one, and I have not heard from anyone who has the latter.

You can also hard wire a switch under the dash that disables the solenoid bypass valve on command. Several owners have those, too, and they work just like the remote, on is no vacuum, off the vacuum is Motronic controlled.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #16 of 129 Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,318
Quote:
if my understanding is correct - the normal option would be the "auto" option ie the ECU decides when to open/close. The remote option is the "open" function, so that you can open it all the time if you wish. But it is kinda strange for it to be so loud when you are moving at 30km/h into a drive way or a pedestrian town. So unless one is using it for track days, it's hard to see using much of the remote/ open function. But then again, would love to hear real user's experience.
I open the valves as soon as the engine heated up. When the engine is cold, I prefer to leave the Motronic handle the exhaust valves which will be most of the time closed as you can see in the diagram Terry posted. Cold engine + valves closed improves greatly the drivability. As soon as the engine is warm, I force them open all the time. The main advantage (in addition to a great sound with the Capristo headers) is that it leaves the engine bay much cooler because most of the exhaust gases will take a direct route out without going through the muffler. So yes, I enjoy it all time open, even at 30km/h There are no engine operational consequences except maybe when cold started, it's better to leave the valves closed to facilitate the warmup procedure of the cats. Faster cats heating means that the heaters integrated in the lambda sensors will have to work for a shorter time.

The Capristo control unit is wired with heat resistant sleeves. The wires anyway aren't connected to the exhaust valves but far away, between the solenoid valve connectors. I installed the unit itself away from any direct heat source (behind the RHS tail lights). Never had any issues with the 2 Capristo remote control unit I had (generation I and II).
post #17 of 129 Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 117
FabSpeed

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with FabSpeeds system for the 360's? I have purchased two from Joe for my Porsches and found them to be a great product. His sound bites on the website sound good and the price is OK.....I am considering them....

Shane

Present: 1999 360 Modena 116113
Past: 1986 GTS 64263
post #18 of 129 Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Shane- Made in Taiwan, but apparently pretty good quality.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #19 of 129 Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Ouch....did not know that Terry thanks!

Present: 1999 360 Modena 116113
Past: 1986 GTS 64263
post #20 of 129 Old 04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Ouch....did not know that Terry thanks!
Fabspeed's 360 Exhaust sound is not that impressive. The yellow car on one of their videos has a Capristo.

Loudest: Timate, Capristo Level 3, Tubi. Those would be my choices if my car didn't already come with a Tubi.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode