430 CCM Brakes - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
430 CCM Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
As of this morning, now have two options, a black/black and a blue/tan. Both have F1 gearboxes. Black one is fitted with CC brakes.
The CC brakes on the 430 have great feel - let alone easy to clean.

They look 1000x better - also no rust or weird discoloration inside the wheel.

My brakes at near 7,000 are at 4% wear - pretty impressive!

Washed the car yesterday - can't tell you how nice it is not having to deal with brake grime everywhere,
champagne612 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surrey, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
As of this morning, now have two options, a black/black and a blue/tan. Both have F1 gearboxes. Black one is fitted with CC brakes.
Depends on the other tick boxes, having flash backs on searching for the right car, CCB do fill the alloys well
RevHappy is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHappy View Post
Depends on the other tick boxes, having flash backs on searching for the right car, CCB do fill the alloys well
The CCBs do fill the alloys nicely. Will let you know as this unfolds over the next couple of weeks.
Boxer is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surrey, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
The CCBs do fill the alloys nicely. Will let you know as this unfolds over the next couple of weeks.
I'm always surprised by the variation in spec on 430's. The old 360 only had a few possible option which made it an easier search. Good luck I'm sure you'll do ok
RevHappy is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Boxer- Those CCMs should last the life of the car unless you track her. If you intend to track her, I would go with steel brakes or, better yet, buy a set of the steel rotors and pads Brembo makes that will fit the CCM calipers. When it comes time to sell, reinstall the CCM rotors and pads. If you do that, have your technician change the brake selection in the instrument panel 8 Mb chip to steel from CCM.

Like Doug said, a really nice feature of the CCMs is little to no brake dust. My ceramics are Mov'Its and there is no brake dust.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 03-18-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Terry why are the CCM brakes so expensive - I understand it's carbon ceramic but given the demand?

I was told it takes under 60 minutes if you want to switch your car to steel for track days.

The more I learned about the CCM's - the more I realized it was as important for me have them as it was the F1 vs the
6 speed shifter.
champagne612 is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Doug- Ferrari prices and a monopoly for the car companies that use the brakes. Brembo apparently agreed not to sell the parts aftermarket.for those companies that use them. Corvette Brembo prices are a fraction of the Ferrari prices, but the rotors are not interchangeable. You could probably buy a complete set of ZR1 brakes for around $10K. The option on Ferraris was $15-20K, depending on model, when they were optional.

1 CF rotor....
GM PART # 25843121
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $1,695.00
OUR PRICE: $1,233.96

Ferrari wants $8000 for one of them.

Tried to get Mov'It to make rotors and pads for the CCM calipers, but they are too busy sellling brakes to Porsche for the GT2/GT3 and to Lotus for all their street cars. They are also a Lotus F1 sponsor this year. The Mov'it CER rotors are solid CSC (carbone silicon carbide) and nearly indestructible, even if tracked. Expensive, but the rotors never wear out.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 03-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Is there any reason on why rotors made out of clay and charcoal are so expensive? Materials and manufacturing process would not seem to justify it.
Boxer is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Doug- Ferrari prices and a monopoly for the car companies that use the brakes. Brembo apparently agreed not to sell the parts aftermarket.for those companies that use them. Corvette Brembo prices are a fraction of the Ferrari prices, but the rotors are not interchangeable. You could probably buy a complete set of ZR1 brakes for around $10K. The option on Ferraris was $15-20K, depending on model, when they were optional.

1 CF rotor....
GM PART # 25843121
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $1,695.00
OUR PRICE: $1,233.96

Ferrari wants $8000 for one of them.

Tried to get Mov'It to make rotors and pads for the CCM calipers, but they are too busy sellling brakes to Porsche for the GT2/GT3 and to Lotus for all their street cars. They are also a Lotus F1 sponsor this year. The Mov'it CER rotors are solid CSC (carbone silicon carbide) and nearly indestructible, even if tracked. Expensive, but the rotors never wear out.
That is just insane!

Some car besides a 430 has to share that brake set up.

Mov'it should sponsor you
champagne612 is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Doug- There is a car that shares the F430 CCMs, the CS, and the price is the same. The Scud/16M have the same rear brakes/rotors, but larger (398 mm vs 380 mm) front rotors and different front calipers. Porsche CCBs are similar, but there are detail differences, as there are on the Corvette brakes. The brakes are only about a $9K option on the Porsche last time I checked, and the Corvette CCMs are even cheaper.

No different from any other Ferrari part. The TPMS sensors on your 612 are available for about a third of the price Ferrari charges for them through TireRack. Somebody has to pay for that little yellow box.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #11 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Doug- There is a car that shares the F430 CCMs, the CS, and the price is the same. The Scud/16M have the same rear brakes/rotors, but larger (398 mm vs 380 mm) front rotors and different front calipers. Porsche CCBs are similar, but there are detail differences, as there are on the Corvette brakes. The brakes are only about a $9K option on the Porsche last time I checked, and the Corvette CCMs are even cheaper.

No different from any other Ferrari part. The TPMS sensors on your 612 are available for about a third of the price Ferrari charges for them through TireRack. Somebody has to pay for that little yellow box.
LOL - true story.
champagne612 is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Carbon- Except for the algorithms, no reason why you cannot just replace two on the same axle, just like steel rotors. Those algorithms are just estimates, at any rate, and can be reset with an SD2/3.

CCMs are great for the street, but just wear too fast on track days and are too expensive for that. Swapping the rotors for Brembo steel and appropriate pads is not that difficult or expensive compared to replacing $8K each CCM rotors.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #13 of 33 Old 03-24-2012, 06:40 PM
 
134282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Carbon- Except for the algorithms, no reason why you cannot just replace two on the same axle, just like steel rotors. Those algorithms are just estimates, at any rate, and can be reset with an SD2/3.

CCMs are great for the street, but just wear too fast on track days and are too expensive for that. Swapping the rotors for Brembo steel and appropriate pads is not that difficult or expensive compared to replacing $8K each CCM rotors.
Just saw this - didn't know that, Terry, thank you! I was under the impression that if something happened to one rotor, all four needed to be replaced - I didn't know that you could just even things out on a single axle.

I need an Aventador!
134282 is offline  
post #14 of 33 Old 03-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Carbon- If you look at Stef's thread on the Texa diagnostic tool, the F430 system tracks wear and heat cycles by axle, so there is even less need to make a wholesale change. I would expect the fronts to go quicker than the rears, even though they are bigger (380 mm vs 350 mm) and have 6 piston calipers.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Owner
 
StefVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Carbon- If you look at Stef's thread on the Texa diagnostic tool, the F430 system tracks wear and heat cycles by axle, so there is even less need to make a wholesale change. I would expect the fronts to go quicker than the rears, even though they are bigger (380 mm vs 350 mm) and have 6 piston calipers.
Except if you track or drive hard the car in Sport mode or lower. Then the ASR may brake a lot the rear wheels and result in a higher wear on the rear axle
StefVan is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Stef- Affirmative and that also frequently causes the E-Diff to overheat for the same reason.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Owner
 
StefVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Doug, as you can see in the TXC tool details, I got 6% calculated wear in 25000km/15500miles which includes a lot of hard driving on mountain roads (especially downhill)
StefVan is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Doug, as you can see in the TXC tool details, I got 6% calculated wear in 25000km/15500miles which includes a lot of hard driving on mountain roads (especially downhill)
That is incredible!

I am sending my car up to Chicago for a service and will ask for wear data at 6700 miles.
champagne612 is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Owner
 
johan6504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sweden
Ferrari Life Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Doug, as you can see in the TXC tool details, I got 6% calculated wear in 25000km/15500miles which includes a lot of hard driving on mountain roads (especially downhill)
Do you know how many brake pads that has been used during this time?

Ferrari 430 Scuderia 2008/12
(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -99)
(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -98)
johan6504 is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Owner
 
StefVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Still the first set and I'm far of having them worn out. But I don't track my car, well, maybe I will do 1 session this year
StefVan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale