360 How many CS and Scuds? - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Schnellmann
Guest
 
Ferrari Life Posts: n/a
How many CS and Scuds?

I was speaking with a specialist today and they maintained that of the CSs made only around 800 are left as the rest have been written off. Also said that around 4500 scuds were made (and so CS better long-term investment). And added that the CS is quite tricky and has caught lots of owners out. Thoughts?
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
SM- Production for the CS was 1288. Have not seen real numbers on the Scud/16M yet. No idea how someone would know that 488 CS cars had been written off. That would be nearly 40% of production (38% actually), which is kind of hard to believe.

Sounds like someone with a CS to sell. Do not pay attention to that kind of talk. The CS is, in my opinion, the best looking of all the 360/F430 variants, with the Scud/16M close behind. The CS requires more maintenance, has an older alarm system with keys and fobs, and has VVT on only one set of cams, while the F430 variants have chains, VVT on intake and exhaust, E-Diff, a modern alarm system and key/fob, and other updates like TPMs.

But the CS is a very pure near-race car, well-loved by its owners, and still relatively scarce compared to 17,000 360s, a similar number of F430s, and who knows how many Scud/16M models.

Have fun deciding. For similar money, I would probably take an untracked Scud.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellmann View Post
I was speaking with a specialist today and they maintained that of the CSs made only around 800 are left as the rest have been written off. Also said that around 4500 scuds were made (and so CS better long-term investment). And added that the CS is quite tricky and has caught lots of owners out. Thoughts?
I wouldn't get hung up on numbers - no one really knows.

A Scud was 300k and you can find them below 200k.

The Stradale is a 110 - 150k car and agree with Terry better looking.

Really comes down to years of ownership as to better investment.

There are fewer Stadales which equates to fewer sellers and more Scuds means more sellers with more competition.

The two cars are the same blood line but the Scud would rip it to shreds in any and all seat time comparisons.
champagne612 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 03-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Doug- That is one point I should have made, but you did it for me. The CS is quick, with quarter mile times in the mid-12s, but the Scud/16M is really fast. Like Z06 fast, with quarter mile times in the mid 11s at around 125 mph. You are unlikely to come up against a faster car in normal driving.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 PM
 
134282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellmann View Post
I was speaking with a specialist today and they maintained that of the CSs made only around 800 are left as the rest have been written off.
Hilarious.

I need an Aventador!
134282 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 PM
 
bikz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perak,Malaysia
Ferrari Life Posts: 109
its always amusing on what "specialists" know and say half the time......what i'v learnt is, someone who knows something pretty well will firstly not say "i'm a specialist".....if he says so, the rest of his conversation shld be a little questionable.....

bikz is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: AZ and WY
Ferrari Life Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 134282 View Post
Hilarious.
I dunno...~800 left would assume somwhere like 1/3 are RIP at age 8...I have no idea, but there are CS followers that would not be surprised by that sort of attrition rate....but I agree that anyone professing to "know" is hilarious!

Disclaimer - I own a CS, so you should assume I'm biased and self-serving and trying to sell you mine...except that mine is most definately not for sale :-)
arizonaitalian is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-03-2012, 02:21 AM
 
134282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaitalian View Post
Disclaimer - I own a CS, so you should assume I'm biased and self-serving and trying to sell you mine...except that mine is most definately not for sale :-)
There's a slew of dealerships out here - Sage Nissan, Sage Toyota, Sage Mercedes, etc. - owned by a guy named Morrie Sage. His son, Mike, used to own this car (currently owns a 16M). I told you I saw this car on several occasions, right? Anyway, etched into the engine block just above the "F131" engine type casting is the letter E and then the number 2; I believe "E 2" is the numero interno for this car (the internal number is some weird, arcane, clandestine system Ferrari established very early on to confirm original engines should the need arise later on down the road).

I first saw it in May, 2010, on CA plates: F131CS (best plate ever, F131CS is the chassis type); then I saw it again in November, different plates. Then I saw it again in January of last year. And now you have it - enjoying the bejeezus out of it I imagine. What's the odometer look like these days?

I need an Aventador!
134282 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: AZ and WY
Ferrari Life Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 134282 View Post
There's a slew of dealerships out here - Sage Nissan, Sage Toyota, Sage Mercedes, etc. - owned by a guy named Morrie Sage. His son, Mike, used to own this car (currently owns a 16M). I told you I saw this car on several occasions, right? Anyway, etched into the engine block just above the "F131" engine type casting is the letter E and then the number 2; I believe "E 2" is the numero interno for this car (the internal number is some weird, arcane, clandestine system Ferrari established very early on to confirm original engines should the need arise later on down the road).

I first saw it in May, 2010, on CA plates: F131CS (best plate ever, F131CS is the chassis type); then I saw it again in November, different plates. Then I saw it again in January of last year. And now you have it - enjoying the bejeezus out of it I imagine. What's the odometer look like these days?
Yup, I've had it for just over a year. Thanks again for the info back when I was evaluting it!

I got it from owner #3 (Cameron M., who got it after Mike Sage). Its a beauty. It came with 13,750 on the odo and now shows 15,600 or thereabouts...I stored it for 4 months, so the nearly 2k miles was in 8 months or so...absolutely love it. ...just under 2,000 per year is about perfect to me to keep her in top shape...she runs perfect (just had a major and new tires).

The CS is a great "first ferrari" because it is so raw and different than virtually any other modern make/car out there, allowing the owner to experience a Ferrari in a unique way. I've also taken the oppty to drive it as it was intended at some HPDE track days...loads of fun!
arizonaitalian is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale