360 Reverse wont engage on my 360 F1 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Reverse wont engage on my 360 F1

Hi Guys , I am looking for some help with a problem that has recently reared its head so to speak on my '04' 360 F1. It has decided not to engage the reverse though the forward gears are OK.
It seams to be happening after some heavy driving and has then sorted itself out once the engine cools.
I thought I had seen this problem discussed some time back but can't find that thread now.The dealer is suggesting all sorts of things over the phone and I will take it in in a couple of days for him to give it a look. Is it likely to be the F1 pump as he suggests or a dreaded sign of a clutch on the way out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
RK- Normal signs of a clutch going out are the system selecting neutral for you when trying to make a shift. With reverse the only problem, it sounds more like there might be a problem with the selector lever not making good contact or air in the line that selects reverse gear. When you try to select reverse are you getting the warning beeps normally present when reverse is selected? Does the R symbol come on and then go off or does it never come on?

First thing to do is to have someone with an SD2 do the diagnostics on the system, bleed the system with the SD2, and see if PIS needs to be reset. Hopefully that will fix the problem, and, if not, you will know what the problem is without wholesale parts exchanging. Especially helpful for replacing amateur analysis like mine.

Do your other two buttons on the F1 panel work? That will tell you whether there might be a loose connector to the F1 control panel.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
I think your hydraulics are fine. As Terry said, maybe your issue is related to the reverse switch and I would check that first.

But there is a good chance that your PIS has been set at a lower value. This is a nice setting for a bit faster upshifting and downshifting but it will bother you when you have to reverse. Just like a manual, as your clutch is still partially engaged while it is entirely depressed, the shaft is still rotating and the F1 won't allow the reverse gear to be engaged for obvious reasons. Ask your dealer to read out your current PIS/Clutch wear values and you'll know very quickly why you have these issues. The only thing that surprises me a bit is that this issue has only recently appeared...Was that right after a service?

Last edited by StefVan; 03-21-2012 at 12:02 AM.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
Unable to select reverse

This happened to me yesterday. I attempted to back up on a slight hill. As soon as the clutch started to slip, I stopped and went foward. Now, when the car is cool, it selects reverse fine and I get the normal beeping. After a 20 minute drive, It will not select reverse. N is still showing. If I gently press on the gas, the engine will almost die. Then rev up a little with the N showing. Then I can select reverse with my foot on the brake. All forward shifting is normal.

Nate
post #5 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Hey guys, new 360 F1 owner year. Did you happen to figure out what the issue was? I had everything taken care of before taking home my '01 (new clutch assembly, belts, oil change, etc.), but car was being funny yesterday when trying to get into reverse. Car had not been ran for 12~ hours or so, tried to back it out of spot, didn't do anything. The car has been driven probably 100-200 miles after the service with no problems arising. Tried several times, pushing auto/traction control, nothing seemed to make a difference. Turned the car off, waited 3 min, turned back on, all is fine. I assume it didn't hurt anything, but since I was going to take the car in to get some chatter noise looked at (which I think is the heat shield on the exhaust, perhaps), should I ask about the PIS? I'm not having the problems Nate is describing (clutch slipping, car won't reverse after being driven--although haven't really tried that often as I usually pull in forward, no engine near-dying or anything) though.

There's a tuner near me that does lambos/ferraris/bugattis/etc. only.. and he was going to inspect it for cheaper vs. ferrari dealership. Should I take it to him or dealership?
post #6 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Sounds like a glitch that may not repeat. If she does it again, then it is time to worry about it. Turning off and restarting has cured a myriad of problems with Ferraris. Make sure you wait for the check ok lamp before starting so you do not make her mad.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Sounds good. Thanks tazandjan!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode