360 Modena 360 exhaust upgrade. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Modena 360 exhaust upgrade.

Modena 360.
Have anyone use other type of exhaust system, other then Ferrari well known Tubi.
Such as: Drop engineer, Capriso, Agency power valve, etc...
As far as sounds, performance, and other aspect is concern what advise can I get from your experience.
thanks.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Mike,

I susggest you do a search on the Internet, you'll find numerous video clips of the different brands. One particular video even does a side-by-side comparison of stock, Tubi, and Capristo.

I've stated that I liked the low growl of the Tubi, but chose the factory race version for my Spider. Others like the F1-like scream of the Capristo.

I say listen to the videos and choose the one you like the best. Meanwhile, I'm sure several owners will chime in with their personal preferences

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-13-2012, 05:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Hi Mike, take a look at X-ost Maranello . i'm a dealer of this company. The owner worked for Tubi for 12 years and open his company 6 years ago. I've sold many world wide and have sound clips on you tube. Look for X-ost Maranello by Daytona on you tube. If you are interested please call or email me.
Thanks
Alex.

post #4 of 30 Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
Mike, if you're looking for something serious and the best exhaust on the market, go for Capristo. No heating issues with these products, excellent manufacturing, integrated muffler venting system, and one of the best sounds.

If you want to go for something a bit cheaper, there are very good options like Tubi or X-OST but they tend to heat much more the engine bay.

In the range of cheap products (many "sub-brands"), mostly made in Taiwan or China, expect to have some issues and in the worst case, melting engine bay/lit parts or mufflers fast desintegration.

If you want to control yourself the exhaust valve opening, I would advise to install the Capristo Remote Control Unit. It's clean and works 100%. I installed this since now several years, went to different generations of this product and never had an issue. Great engineering, really
post #5 of 30 Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
I have Tubi and Test Pipes. Fantastic sound.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 75
F430 exhaust on mine and I like it
Also, I can open the exhaust valves with the F430 key I modified

That sounds GREAT !!
post #7 of 30 Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Eric- Now you have to explain to us how you did that. Would be nice to have fobs powered by lithium batteries instead of the alkalines we now have. Not that I want to buy any $700 F430 keys.

Did you put the EEPROM from one of the old fobs into the F430 key or just write the EEPROM contents to the existing F430 EEPROM?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Owner

+1 Eric, would like to know more about what you've just mentionned Do you mean that with the F430 key, you're controlling the Capristo valve opening device (or another simular unit) instead of using the Capristo provided remote?
post #9 of 30 Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Eric- Now you have to explain to us how you did that. Would be nice to have fobs powered by lithium batteries instead of the alkalines we now have. Not that I want to buy any $700 F430 keys.

Did you put the EEPROM from one of the old fobs into the F430 key or just write the EEPROM contents to the existing F430 EEPROM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
+1 Eric, would like to know more about what you've just mentionned Do you mean that with the F430 key, you're controlling the Capristo valve opening device (or another simular unit) instead of using the Capristo provided remote?
Well, I have been able to buy a F430 key from ebay for a reasonable price. I bought it mainly for the look of the key which is much much better than the OEM 360 key.

The remote in the F430 key is much modern than the old fobs, but also much simpler with only a few components. The main one is a HCS200 integrated circuit from Microchip which allows transmission encryption with the KeeLoq algorithm. The transmitted bit sequence contains a fixed part and an encrypted (rolling) part.
Those HCS circuits, transmitters and receivers, need to be programmed with a specific key chosen by each user or manufacturer. Ferrari put its own key in the circuit, so it is almost impossible to build a receiver able to decypher the transmitted sequence without knowing the key.
My first idea was to build a receiver able to recognise the fixed sequence. I don't need a high degree of protection and security for valve opening but it would have been too much time consuming.
Finally, I did prefer to replace the original "Ferrari" HCS 200, by a HCS 300 taken from a remote manufactured by Aurel (TELECOMM. 1 CANAL AUREL HCS300 - Elecdif.com). The big advantage is that now the receiver is fairly simple, Aurel is manufacturing a suitable small KeeLoq receiver (RX-4M-HCS : RECEPTEUR HAUTE SENSIBILITE DECODEUR HCS - Elecdif.com) able to drive a relay, and which can be paired with the remote.
I have now a Ferrari key, with an embeded Aurel circuit, wich can command the exhaust valves through a custom receiver based on an Aurel module.

Last edited by eric355; 03-16-2012 at 02:37 PM.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Owner

Wow Eric, once again you impressed me after having succeeded the F430 F1 TCU integration on a F360!!!

Very very nicely done! Perfect integration and totaly operational. Thanks very much for sharing your sources. Did you locate the receiver in the engine bay?

I had a quick look to the RX 4M receiver datasheet and it has 4x100mA output channels + 1 LED. Just great For the US owners, this is a 433.92Mhz Transmitter/Receiver.

Bravo Eric
post #11 of 30 Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Wow Eric, once again you impressed me after having succeeded the F430 F1 TCU integration on a F360!!!

Very very nicely done! Perfect integration and totaly operational. Thanks very much for sharing your sources. Did you locate the receiver in the engine bay?

I had a quick look to the RX 4M receiver datasheet and it has 4x100mA output channels + 1 LED. Just great For the US owners, this is a 433.92Mhz Transmitter/Receiver.

Bravo Eric
Thank you Stef, I really appreciate your compliment, knowing how competent you are and what you do on your side

For now I have installed the reciever on the left outer taillight. I will see if it proves to be reliable despite the exhaust being not too far away.

The RX 4M receiver is very versatile : 4 outputs for a 4 channels remote (I use only one), and each output can be configured individualy in monostable or bistable mode (bistable in my case). I have almost nothing else in my receiver, just a couple of resistors and diodes, two transistors, two relays and a few other components for power supply filtering and to generate a +5V. Very simple.

Last edited by eric355; 03-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.
post #12 of 30 Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Owner

Very cool Eric !

You should "industrialise" it, integrate it on PCB, waterproof/heatproof box, wire it with OEM compatible connectors for plug and play connection and sell it It would be a nice alternative to existing products.

Now, if you can integrate a GPS receiver that would be even funnier. Imagine when you're arriving in the area close to home, you want the valves to close automatically and the opposite, when you're leaving this area, they will open. Just a funny idea
post #13 of 30 Old 03-17-2012, 02:28 AM
Owner

BTW Eric, it looks like there exists already a cheap 4 channel monostable/bistable relays solution with an integrated 12V/24V power supply, all on a nice 65x45x18 PCB, ready to be integrated in a non-metallic box :

HCS-DEC-4 AUREL : HCS-DEC-4 AUREL | SOS electronic

Standby current : 8mA
Max consumption : 52mA (with all 4 relays actuated)

Exists also in 1 or 2 relay version

Name:  Aurel.JPG
Views: 928
Size:  28.3 KB

Sorry to the OP for having diverted from the initial subject!

Last edited by StefVan; 03-17-2012 at 02:42 AM.
post #14 of 30 Old 03-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Eric- Very ingenious. Did you have the F430 blank cut for your car or insert a blank into the key handle?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Mike- Back to your question, the top-end (read most expensive) exhausts for your 360 are the Kreissieg (Japan), Capristo (Germany), and Novitec (Germany), arranged in order of highness (F1-like) of pitch. The rest you mentioned are all good and fit in price below those three. Agency Power is made in Taiwan, as is FabSpeed, likely by the same manufacturer. Tubi and X-OST are made in Italy, with Tubis being quite a bit more expensive. Seems like X-OST was started by ex-Tubi employees, but I may have that story wrong.

If I were you, I would probably snarf up the best deal I found on a used or lower priced new system. A half-price Kreissieg or Capristo would be my ideal.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #16 of 30 Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I am glad this topic has steer us to another extremely interesting engineer by Eric.
I must say you guys are a bunch of intellegence individual. All that electronic configuration from Eric are way beyond most of us except Stef...Eric, that's great work. I would never though of that.
Tery, you are absolutely correct. I have been looking at: Agency power, Ansa, Hamann, Maranello, Tubi, Drop engineer, Capristo, etc...By far even the physical appearance and the mounting hardwar Capristo is the most fancy one. Well, like you mention. You'll get what you pay for.
Tery, I have been also looking at my oem exhaust system and start snoop around the engine bay to gain some knowledge. I just notice the vacuum line for the x-haust valve silicener is not there. I tried to look at the manual from your webpage (ferraridatabase.com) and have not found where the vac hose comes from. Base on the system outline, it suppose to come from 2ndary air system which use by the vac accumulator tank locate in front of the F1 pump.
If it not too much trouble, can you attach a pic or a vac diagram for this...
thanks Tery.

Mike
post #17 of 30 Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Terry, scratch that out...
I read alittle more of your manual this morning and found the the control valves. With a quick look, it appear someone had plug up. Either the silencer valve has problem or the controller side have problem, or the previous owner just want free exhaust flow at all time.
Inany case, I will have to remove the lower belly cover and perhaps the rear bumper for a closer look.
I'll give you an update as soon as I find out what's going on....

Mike
post #18 of 30 Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Mike- The 360 and F430 both have fail open bypass valves. No vacuum and the pneumatic valves are spring loaded open. Some other Ferraris have fail closed bypass valves, like the Maranellos and Superamerica, that require vacuum to open.

It is very common for 360 and F430 owners to block the vacuum hoses from the bypass solenoid, or remove them completely and plug the solenoid valve outlet. This gives you the open valve all the time exhaust music. It also enables the popping you hear on the overrun and during deceleration as cold ambient air meets hot, fuel rich exhaust gasses. With the valves connected and at lower revs, the valves slam shut when the throttle is lifted, cutting off all the pretty burbling noises.

Capristo exhausts are available with and without bypass valves. They also make a remote control that allows you to select whether the valves are opened by the Motronic ECU or by the remote, regardless of whether you have a Capristo exhaust or not. Bypass valves and remote opening make for the best of both worlds, if a bit expensive upfront. Quiet cruise when you want it, and more music when you are in the mood.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #19 of 30 Old 03-18-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Terry for touching up on that.
sometime this week I am going to remove the lower skid cover to due a visual inspeciton anyways. I saw some sign of wetness (looks like eng oil) from the passenger bank and stored on the skid cover. Perhaps the valve cover gasket or the camshaft end cap is sipping oil.
Since this is my 1st Ferrari, I still want to look from under. In addition, the plate right above the passenger side exhaust tip(outlet), there is also wet netness. Suspecting the F1 pump has sippage or residual from previous work done.
Regarding to the exhaust upgrade, I am tempted to go with the Capristo as recommend by you. However, I am not in the position to make the purchase at the moment. I hope to run accross a good used one from ebay...Next choice would be the Maranello, we'll see....
Thanks again Terry, I'll keep you posted on my finding
Mike
post #20 of 30 Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode