F430 Oil leak - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 119
Oil leak

Just had my second go in the 430, loved it.
Realised when i was putting into the garage a small pool of very clear thin oil.
Any ideas what it maybe.
Ive checked oil filter and looked in the engine compartment but no signs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Gary- It may be soot and moisture from the exhaust system, although that is usually black or gray. It could also be coming from the drain pipe from the A/C evaporator. That is water, but sometimes has an oily feel. If it is gone in a day or so, that is probably what it is.

The only clear fluid I can think of might be the ATF in the power steering (which usually has a dye) or the fluid in the F1 system. Pretty much every fluid in the car has color except possibly the F1/E-Diff fluid.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,341
Gary, can you locate exactly the position of the oil pool on the floor versus the car? Is it under the engine bay, LHD or RHD? There can be a bigger pool in the underfloor panels and only some part of it is dripping out on the floor. I would recommend to carefully search the source of it as a F430 should never have a fluid leak (except condensation water from the A/C). The best would be to remove the underfloor panel(s) or diffuser depending on where the leak is located.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Stef,
Its RHD and its from the engine bay,i think it comes through a hole in the floor pan.
Can only think its AC as it doesn't leak all the time, just once to my knowledge.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Gary- The air conditioning evaporator vent tube should be right under the evaporator. Number 26 in the diagram below.

You may have just had some water on top of the belly pans that flowed out and picked up a bit of residue on the way.

If it stopped leaking, I would not worry about it unless it reoccurs. If it is the A/C evaporator venting water, you will see it again as soon as the weather warms.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary.taylor17 View Post
Hi Stef,
Its RHD and its from the engine bay,i think it comes through a hole in the floor pan.
Can only think its AC as it doesn't leak all the time, just once to my knowledge.
Hi Gary,
if the leak comes from the RHD of the engine bay, than it's highly probable that it is F1 hydraulic fluid. This can happen when the hydraulic fluid is getting very hot and expands too much. To avoid a too high pressure in the F1 system, a valve will release a bit hydraulic fluid which will be evacuated through a small hose. This can happen also when the F1 tank has been overfilled. If it doesn’t leak again, than all is fine. Just check the area on the ground from to time to time A/C condensation will always evacuate at the front of the car through a specific hose which comes out through the flont underfloor panel.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Gary- The air conditioning evaporator vent tube should be right under the evaporator. Number 26 in the diagram below.

You may have just had some water on top of the belly pans that flowed out and picked up a bit of residue on the way.

If it stopped leaking, I would not worry about it unless it reoccurs. If it is the A/C evaporator venting water, you will see it again as soon as the weather warms.
Thank you ever so much, what a lovely set of lads.
Thanks for your help
Garry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode