Scuderia battery maintainer not working - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
RM- Optimas suck, as you discovered. Many of them brought into the dealers can be brought back to life by using a really heavy duty charger, but who wants to go through that? If this one dies on you, try something else. You can buy the battery holder for the FIAMM VR760, the OEM battery early in production, but it is a bit expensive. Part number 67943100 and you may be able to find one from a wrecked car for way less money.

There is a heavier duty CTEK, the 7002, available for ~$100, that may do a better job of keeping the Optima alive. Swedish made, and widely available. The attachment points would not match your factory connector, though.
Question, why does Ferrari have that stupid proprietary connection anyway? Here again, charge $50 more for our cars and include a CTEK 7002.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Mark- The CTEKs worked fine until they went to the gel Optimas. The idea behind the connectors was so you could hook it up with no panels open. Better than the old boat anchor Zivans that cost $800 as an option.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
The CTEK basic charger ruined the Optima that came with my Esprit V8 also. Could just use my 7002 to recharge, but I am enjoying the lighter weight of Walmart's best battery. Those Optima's are seriously heavy.

I would think Ferrari could just use CTEK's quick connect, but there I go again, trying to change something or someone that will probably never change.

Thank Gosh for car Forums, and having other owner's to come up with solutions.

post #24 of 29 Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Mark- I do not think the CTEK had anything to do with your Optima going bad. They have had real reliability problems.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #25 of 29 Old 04-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Mark- I do not think the CTEK had anything to do with your Optima going bad. They have had real reliability problems.
I have had 6+ CTeks over the past 5 years and never had a problem with any of them.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 87
Thanks again for all the advice.

Now I know: the next time the Optima fails, I will get a 'normal' battery. I guess I will need a new battery tray too. Strange enugh, the battery tray has an electrical installation with a thick connector. For thevreord, the Optima cost me 35% over the equivalent Bosch.

Based on what has been posted, it looks like the basic OEM Ctek is not powerful enough to keep the Optima alive.

My car is from October 2008. I am not sure how long Ferrari used these batteries.

Current & past: 365 GT 2+2, 550 Maranello, F430 Scuderia
Other: Mercedes 230 SL 'Pagode', BMW M3 E30 Evo II, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2 and a few other toys.
post #27 of 29 Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 87
I have an update on the Scuderia battery issue, which may be of help to other owners.

The reason for my Optima battery failure last winter, as explained by my Ferrari dealer, was not the battery itself. It was related to the under-specced OEM Ferrari maintainer it was attached to.

Ferrari uses CTEK-based maintainers. For a while, they used as OEM a model based on the cheap CTEX XS-800, which charges at a maximum of 0.8A, and is recommended for ATVs motorcycles, etc.

Optimas failed one after the other with these chargers, and Ferrari now uses a model based on the CTEK XS-3600, which charges up to 3.6A.

Amazing mistake, which has cost me a new battery and the purchase of a new maintainer.

So any owner still using the small version, be aware this may not be enough, specially if your battery is Optima.

Current & past: 365 GT 2+2, 550 Maranello, F430 Scuderia
Other: Mercedes 230 SL 'Pagode', BMW M3 E30 Evo II, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2 and a few other toys.
post #28 of 29 Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyman View Post
I have an update on the Scuderia battery issue, which may be of help to other owners.

The reason for my Optima battery failure last winter, as explained by my Ferrari dealer, was not the battery itself. It was related to the under-specced OEM Ferrari maintainer it was attached to.

Ferrari uses CTEK-based maintainers. For a while, they used as OEM a model based on the cheap CTEX XS-800, which charges at a maximum of 0.8A, and is recommended for ATVs motorcycles, etc.

Optimas failed one after the other with these chargers, and Ferrari now uses a model based on the CTEK XS-3600, which charges up to 3.6A.

Amazing mistake, which has cost me a new battery and the purchase of a new maintainer.

So any owner still using the small version, be aware this may not be enough, specially if your battery is Optima.

Does not change the fact that Optimas are junk. Ferrari only used them a rather short time. I was involved in a legal case on a 16M and was developing information that the Optimas were responsible for all manner of softwear issues in the car. The owner declared bankruptcy before we got very far but I believe there were several reasons Ferrari discontinued their use.

Throw it away and buy a reliable battery.
post #29 of 29 Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Optima batteries

I come from the Viper world and they are very power hungry and won't run well with a low battery. I had good luck with a red top in the Viper but replaced it after 5 years (not willing to take chances) with an Optima Yellow Top. Expensive but a great battery rated for start up and deep cycle. When my battery goes ,2 yr old interstate, it will be a yellow top. GTS Bruce

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode