360 Advice on buying the first F360M - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Advice on buying the first F360M

Hi Guys

I am new to this site and reading your topics and experience is opening a new world to me, thanks. I conjunction with that I am the lucky guy that are looking to buy a 360 Modena, the case is that I have seen a good example of a 2003 manual which I prefer but the issue is that it have past the 80000 km, my other option is to go for the model with paddleshift with less km on the clock (35000 or 40000 km).

The special thing about this is that I live in Dubai and manual cars are very rare, the one I have seen is the only one. There are more to choose from of the model with paddle shift.
The price difference of the manual and the paddleshift model is not as such a problem for me although there is a difference due to the higher km's of the manual model.

Both cars have full service history and is in good condition.

My question is or what I would like to have an advice on, is the number of km's these engines can take. What I can understand is that they are pretty solid if they are maintained but in the same time I don't think I can ignore that these engines will need to undergo an overhaul at a certain point and can be an costly thing.

Any of you that have experience with a 360 Modena going above 80000km? Appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks.

Best regards
Ulrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Ulrik- Welcome to Ferrari Life. In general, a well maintained 360 Modena engine should be good for at least 200,000 kms before requiring any major engine or transaxle work. You would go through a couple of clutches during that time, but the drivetrain is very durable. Sometime in that 200-250,000 km range, she might need a valve job, but the bottom end (block, crank, pistons) is very sturdy.

Good luck on choosing a car, and be advised clutches tend to last longer on the three pedal cars. More from the way they are driven than from any problem with the F1 system.

If you have not already found it, you can download owners manuals and workshop manuals at ferraridatabase.com.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Hi Taz
Thank you for your information on the engine and the drivetrain. This is what I need it to hear:-). Thanks.

Best regards
Ulrik

post #4 of 4 Old 02-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Ulrik
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Good luck with the decision making. Let us know how you get on!

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode