F430 Gremlims fixed - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 67
Gremlims fixed

Frustrating week and thank God I have a great mechanic. Some interesting things that were told to him that I am not sure we buy into.

First, a leaky hose in the F1 system, underneath the right rear removable engine panel in the engine compartment, near the reservior was fixed. Small leak, shit happens, no biggie. BUT...... Ferrari wanted 2200 for a hose with two fixtures on it. No thanks, my mechanic gets the specs on it, has one made here that is stronger and better with the same fittings for 300. Plus install and labor to get all the air out of system. Plus they think the fluid is gold at $50 a quart

Then, while in, a random overall check finds a bad front wheel bearing. New hub ordered, supposedly the last one in the country? for 899$

Of course I fixed that, another shit happens repair. Car came back thursday and put about 300 mile son it over the weekend. Drove great. Seemed to handle better and shif better. Maybe just in my head though
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Jim- If you had a leaking line, air was probably being introduced into the system, so the shifting should feel better. No clue on the handling unless he changed some bushings along the way.

Did not realize they had gone to Shell Donax TX for the F1 system and E-Diff on F430s until I looked. There are a lot cheaper automatic transmission fluids out there that work at least as well. In the olden days it was Tutella CS Speed in the F1 system, which Ricambi sells for $20/liter. I do not blame your tech for using the recommended fluid in the F1 system, though. One thing nobody wants to have go wrong.

Sounds like you have a really good technician. My guys do the same thing with F1 lines. Better quality for lower price from a good hydraulic line shop.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 67
Hey Taz,

Yep it was a "kink" in the link that eventually failed after one too many kinks. I honestly didnt notice it until my buddy saw some red fluid on the floor in his garage. Then it failed rather quickly afte rthat during a test run. Lights flashing etc etc. Got it home to his place and then the flatbed.
We were "given" four guarts from a Ferrari dealer as I guess it is not sold by the quart to non dealers? Oh well, I got some. Still have 100$ worth at he shop for future issues or for sale at 200 a quart
My guy is no stranger to Ferrari and the wacky idiotic pricing. They are even embarrased to sell the parts at their prices.
We have some excellent hyraulic shops in Tulsa, it was 1/5 the price and much better quality, judt a tad labor intensive.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode