F430 LED Tail Lights Comparison and Review - Page 7 - Ferrari Life
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 929 Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,301
The 400kg injection mold of the new 430 bulb holder is almost ready. The last phase is a finishing polish and then we can start producing a first serie of samples.

Name:  New bulb holders injection mold 1.jpg
Views: 1990
Size:  33.0 KB
Name:  New bulb holders injection mold 2.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  23.1 KB
Name:  New bulb holders injection mold 3.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  21.0 KB

I started re-engineering the 360 bulb holders to obtain a similar result as the 430 The 360 bulb holder will require to create a new injection mold because of the very different shape. The first step was to source several samples of this bulb holder and after a long period of search, I succeeded to find 4 of them which is good enough for the moment. Time to 3D them and rework entirely the shape with my CAD software.

Name:  F360 Bulb Holder 3.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  30.0 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 929 Old 12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Tio
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 230
Wow!

When you said you were going to produce, I didn't think you were going to go through all this trouble!

This is proper industrial production Stef.

So very impressed!
post #123 of 929 Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Stef

When you finalize production. Can you put together a DIY of all of your LED conversions. Angel eyes, tail lights, interior. All are great. A final production version how to would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all of your hard work. Let us know when and how we can purchase.

post #124 of 929 Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Neuro,
Sorry for my late answer, I've been away travelling. Sure, I will put together the different DIY of the different LED conversions. Thanks for your support
post #125 of 929 Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 354
Deeply impressive stuff Stef!

After having the CF handles fabricated recently I joked to my friends at the production facility (state of the art stuff...) that I'd love a full CF chassis to replace my aluminium one.

After a deep intake of breath they said, well that would be an interesting project but likely 6 months of R&D to make something super strong! ...I was waiting for the punch line which didn't come. They where really serious! OMG!

Q. Can you imagine re-shelling the 360/430 with a full carbon tub That would be just Craaazy...

and evil ...

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.
Henry Royce
post #126 of 929 Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks very much Harry On such parts, there is unfortunately no space for DIY and the only way is to industrialise it using the right processes and methodologies. Fortunately, I was born in the industrial world and spend my entire childhood in my parents factories.

Good news, we've finished the injection mold and started producing the first samples and make sure we have a perfect fitting, right colour, high temperature resistant ABS, part solidity, etc. All tests were fine and the production of the new bulb holder is now launched.

Here's a picture of the new bulb holder with and without the tail light.

Name:  New bulb holder 1.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  47.2 KB
Name:  New bulb holder 2.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  40.3 KB

I started to produce also a large quantity of new wire harnesses. This picture shows a batch production of the second phase. The next phase is the integration of the electronic components on the solder points.

Name:  New wire harness 1.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  63.5 KB

Using the new bulb holder samples, I made already several complete kits to bench test them and then integrate them in my car. The results are very satisfying and the improvement compared to the stock tail lights with normal bulbs is uncomparable. Despite a greater brightness compared to normal bulbs, the power consumption is greatly reduced.

Measured current of double taillight (represents only one side) @ 12.0V:
Reverse light : 190mA (1 SHP LED light)
Turn Signal : 190 mA (1 SHP LED light)
Parking light: 190mA (4 SHP LED lights)
Stop light: 1120mA (4 SHP LED lights)
Parking + Fog light: 660mA (4 SHP LED lights)

Once the large batch of new bulb holders will have been produced, it will be time to start producing the entire kits. There are about a good 80 different parts to put together to complete one kit. All other parts are now in stock in large quantities including the specifically manufactured seal gasket. So far, I'm very happy how things are moving forward. My car has now the exclusivity of the new tail lights and received already some nice comments
post #127 of 929 Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 354
Once the 360 ones are done count me in for a set, awesome work!

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.
Henry Royce
post #128 of 929 Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Any guess as to approximate cost?
post #129 of 929 Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Rob, I will try to keep the price for the complete EURO kit including 12 LED lights, new bulb holders and specific wire harness in the 500-600 USD range. The US/CAN version should be a bit cheaper.

Some update, the F430 bulb holders samples have been produced but I'm not satisfied at all after the heat tests I made. The wrong material has been used despite my precise requirements and specifications. I chose another manufacturer to get the things right. I'm not kidding with heat and plastic material! They have to resist 200C and at least 150C under load stress. Flash point should be well above 200C. Im not going to sell anything until this requirement has not been 100% satisfied Now things should move on fast with the right material using 20% fiber glass and the injection mould has already been manufactured.

The 360 new bulb holder is progressing very well. Ive prototyped the new shape and working out now the 3D/2D drawings. A new injection mould will be made for this bulb holder. The advantage is that this bulb holder is identical for the 360, 355, 550, 575, 512M and F50, so its worth the extra investment.

Here is a picture of an apparently good looking 360 bulb holder but after Ive removed the upper metallic part, I found a lot of rust in there, not good for electric conductivity.

Name:  F360 bulb holder rust.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  43.2 KB

USA/CAN F360 Tail Lights

Ive started also studying the USA/CAN version of the 430/360 new tail lights.

The USA/CAN 360 has quite a usual way of managing the tail lights :

- the signal light is using the extreme outer half

- the stop light is illuminating the entire inner tail light

- parking light

- the outer centre light is not used + no fog light

Here a proposal comparing the standard USA/CAN 360 taillights and 2 upgrade suggestions:
Name:  F360 USA-CAN Tail lights.JPG
Views: 2362
Size:  61.5 KB

USA/CAN F430 Tail Lights

The F430/Scud is quite the opposite and is even in contradiction with the owner manual :

Owner Manual:
Name:  USCAN Tail Lights OM 1.JPG
Views: 1188
Size:  22.8 KB

In real life:
- the signal light is using the inner tail light

- the stop light is illuminating the entire outer tail light

- the outer centre light is not used + no fog light

Here a proposal comparing the standard USA/CAN 430 taillights and 2 upgrade suggestions:
Name:  F430 USA-CAN Tail Lights.JPG
Views: 2482
Size:  61.2 KB

I have a question for all US/CAN 360/430 car owners. How would you like to see the tail lights being improved? On the EUR version with this new kit, we have now all tail lights illuminated in parking + stop light. The fog light is using the entire inner tail light. On the USA/CAN version, I think that we cannot use the outer centre as a signal/direction light because it would be problematic with local vehicle regulations I guess?

As suggested above (version 1 or version 2), we can still improve the USA/CAN tail lights by illuminating all of them as parking lights (entire inner+outer lights). Although, the stop light would be only the entire inner light + half outer light, leaving the other half outer light for the signal/indicator light (suggested version 1) or have the entire inner as stop light and the entire outer as signal light (suggested version 2)? What do you think of this? Your impressions and any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
post #130 of 929 Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Stef

Incredible stuff!

Have you considered placing a lens over the bulb to equally distribute the light.

The biggest problem with LED is hot spots / even light distribution but given the low heat from the lamp it seems to work well in the LED lighting industry.

Another idea may be mixing LED colors to achieve an overall stock CRI.

http://ledsmagazine.com/news/9/8/8

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #131 of 929 Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks very much Doug fortunately the integrated lenses of the 430 tail lights avoid having LED hot spots. The LEDs do have also an integrated lens which helps a lot. I've made also several prototypes which lenses that integrates a film diffuser to reduce even more hot spots but the difference isn't that much once used in the 430 tail light, so I left that on the side for the moment and preferred to avoid an extra cost. At the other hand, I integrated a mirrored sheet in the bulb holder which helps a lot reflecting the light inside the tail light. I'll post some pictures soon

Which version of the upgraded tail lights to you prefer on your US car?
post #132 of 929 Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
The more lights the better ... especially since I have ceramic stopping power vs ...

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #133 of 929 Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Upgrade version 1 !!!!
post #134 of 929 Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 AM
Tio
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 230
What can we say Stef!

Very impressive!

The problem you have identified above with the original material is exactly the reason why we have total faith in you and would only trust you making this mod for us!
We know very well how extremely high your standards are and I speak on behalf of all of us, saying that you are an invaluable member of the Ferrari society who is always finding time to help and advice other fellow Ferrari enthusiasts.

Look forward to the completed kit!

And "F430 Addict" my kit comes before yours!
( joke)
post #135 of 929 Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks very much Harry

Any other US owner vote on the preferred upgrade version?
post #136 of 929 Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 84
Wooow!!!
Attached Images

post #137 of 929 Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

While waiting for the improved bulb holders being manufactured, I’ve now created the USA/CAN version of the wire harness as well as specific version of the bulb holders with the SHP LED lights. Here are some pictures that demonstrate how the default USA/CAN configuration of the kit will look like. Of course, on request, I can make any specific light configuration.

Reverse lights
Name:  Scud Ing Swiss F430 USA Reverse Light.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  32.7 KB

Reverse light + parking lights
Name:  Scud Ing Swiss F430 USA Reverse Parking Light.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  31.4 KB

Parking lights
Name:  Scud Ing Swiss F430 USA Parking Light.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  32.5 KB

USA/CAN Stop lights
Name:  Scud Ing Swiss F430 USA Stop Light.jpg
Views: 6269
Size:  31.1 KB

USA/CAN Signal/Direction lights
Name:  Scud Ing Swiss F430 USA Signal Light.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  33.7 KB

A first batch of EURO (left) and USA/CAN (right) wire harnesses is ready and fully tested. On each wire harness, I’ve soldered all 14 terminals to provide a perfect contact and avoid any random issues very common with simply crimped terminals. Wire harness and integrated electronic components are also tropicalized using a specific resin and heated at 350C (660F). I finished also the 2D/3D design of the bulb holder interior single sided mirrored part and the first laser cut samples have been made in different material to test the heat resistance. Polycarbonate (PC) will definitely be the right material for the mirrored interior cover as it can resist to temperatures of max. 140C (280F).
Name:  Scud Ing Swiss EURO and USA wire harness.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  Scud Ing Swiss USA wires.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  31.6 KB

More to come soon
post #138 of 929 Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
OMGism..
post #139 of 929 Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 AM