F430 LED Tail Lights Comparison and Review - Page 6 - Ferrari Life
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 929 Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,301
Thanks Tom for the details regarding the bulbs used on your Subaru. I guess that on your car, the 1157 have BAY15D sockets and the 1156 are BA15S sockets, is that right?

You're right, the 7W LED's will give already good result as I showed before. Although, I wanted something better, much better, including a bright new concept of a double current driver. The new SHP LED's are using a double CREE 5W LEDs as well as 12 Epistar High Power LED's on the side. That's an equivalent of 16W but I wouldn't call them simply 16W bulbs because the integrated double current driver provides a much stable current to the LEDs and as a result, they will be much brighter. The lens is made of high temperature glass. As reverse lights, I pretty much sure that they will work well because the white version of the CREE projector provides 600lumens!

For other LED needs like the interior, I'm using the excellent Nichia Raijin Superflux LED's. At 50mA, they have an efficiency of 160lm/W!! Incomparable with the SMD 5050. Although, they are not easy to source and they don't exist with specific car bulb sockets. I've been using these LED's with great success as parking lights in my F430 and dimmed foot well lights. They require a current driver and a decent heat sink.

Thanks again for your support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 929 Old 10-21-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The conception of the new F430 bulb holders is now almost signed off. Here are a couple of 3D/2D pictures of them. I have redesigned them following my new specs and specifically for the LED bulbs. There are many external and internal changes to improve heat dissipation and facilitate the integration of the electronics and wiring. My first produced prototypes have now been running since quite a while with great results. It will be now a GO for the manufacturing of the injection mold which will be ready in 3/4 weeks. The next step will be to validate the first produced samples from the mold and if all is fine, the entire batch can then be manufactured. The F430 bulb holder is an interesting part and quite complex to produce in a single mold as it has many different external and interal shapes. No wonder it doesn’t exist as a separated part

The SHP LED bulbs will be fully integrated in the bulb holder and won’t be removable. This will make heat dissipation more efficient and will also avoid bulbs to come loose with the high level of vibrations in this area. There won’t be any contacts thus no risk of oxidation that would increase power consumption and/or random illumination of the bulbs.

The bulb holders together with the bright new wire harness (pictures to come soon), will allow to illuminate all tail lights in parking or brake position. The bulb holder alone will also be available for sale for those who wants to preserve the original way of illuminating the tail lights but want to take advantage of the integrated LED lights.

Next will be to reengineer the F360 bulb holder and launch a similar production.

PS: I removed some measurements in the 2D drawings for obvious reasons
Attached Images

post #103 of 929 Old 10-21-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

PS: manufacturing of the SHP 1157/1156 LED bulbs is now launched, including the specific sized reverse/signal centre LED bulbs

post #104 of 929 Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Tio
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 230
Very impressive Stef.

Can hardly wait for them to be ready!

post #105 of 929 Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 84
What an interesting development this is ... you're the man Stef.
post #106 of 929 Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
this is truly impressive....please count me in when the 360 version is done!!

How do we stay up to date on the ordering process and general availability?
post #107 of 929 Old 11-03-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks very much for the support!

The 3D CAD drawings are now finalized. The last step was to define and position the mold gate at the best place on the bulb holder drawing. The mold is now getting manufactured and the first samples should come out around the 7th December.

Matt, I’m setting up my own website where all the on-going R&D projects will be visible as well a product catalogue for online orders. Of course, I will keep on giving updates here on my favourite forum . The 360 EUR/USA are also in the scope as well as 430 USA. The kit will first be available for the 430 EUR.

Here’s a picture of the final prototype wire harness. I’m using only high quality components, even for the wires. As I mentioned before, the harness integrates also some passive electronics to switch between the fog and stop light. No taping here, only specific high temperature resistant heat shrink tubing with superseal connectors and boots. Even the connector terminals are made of high grade steel to eliminate any risks of corrosion. I launched also the manufacturing of a specific silicone seal gasket that goes all around the bulb holder and will improve the sealing between the bulb holder and the tail light. This wire harness is part of the “plug and play” kit, just remove the old wire harness and plug this one and there you go
Attached Images

post #108 of 929 Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
I love plug and play.
post #109 of 929 Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430Addict View Post
I love plug and play.
I agree. Its MUCH better than the plug and dont play I had tried earlier this year...cant wait to see the 360 version - been waiting for someone to solve this rubiks cube!
post #110 of 929 Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Owner

Waitaminte! Did I see a price there? Are we ready for orders?
post #111 of 929 Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Tio
Owner

Quote:

Will they be ready for Christmas Santa Stef?
post #112 of 929 Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I hope so Harry but I'm afraid that Santa will have to do some miracles
post #113 of 929 Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Buddy M, pricing will be very reasonable as I consider a ROI on 100 kits
post #114 of 929 Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Owner

I in the queue.....
post #115 of 929 Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Tio
Owner

F430 Addict and myself can be your elves!
��
post #116 of 929 Old 11-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
F430 Addict and myself can be your elves!
😜
I'll be the reindeer if that helps speed thugs uo. Not insinuating that Stef can ride me...just to set things straight.
post #117 of 929 Old 11-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Tio
Owner

Quote:
I'll be the reindeer if that helps speed thugs uo. Not insinuating that Stef can ride me...just to set things straight.
A modified light weight superfast reindeer!
post #118 of 929 Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

LFAO, you guys are really funny I think I will need a supersonic flying reindeer

Now that we have the brightest possible LED bulbs, we need to overcome a new challenge : LED hotspots. I'm now working out a new microstructured light diffuser that will smooth and homogenize the light sources. But when such diffusers are applied, the challenge is the preserve the original light colour with a transmission of 90% in the spectral wavelength range of 532nm to 1550nm. The first trials have been quite conclusive where both High Power LED spots became almost invisible. The next step is to obtain a circular diffusion of a certain angle of x° using a specific 3D microstructure surface. This research will be very useful for my other LED based projects Even it does take time, the goal is to come up with a real revolutionary product that considerably improves what's stock but without changing the original look
post #119 of 929 Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
LFAO, you guys are really funny I think I will need a supersonic flying reindeer

Now that we have the brightest possible LED bulbs, we need to overcome a new challenge : LED hotspots. I'm now working out a new microstructured light diffuser that will smooth and homogenize the light sources. But when such diffusers are applied, the challenge is the preserve the original light colour with a transmission of 90% in the spectral wavelength range of 532nm to 1550nm. The first trials have been quite conclusive where both High Power LED spots became almost invisible. The next step is to obtain a circular diffusion of a certain angle of x° using a specific 3D microstructure surface. This research will be very useful for my other LED based projects Even it does take time, the goal is to come up with a real revolutionary product that considerably improves what's stock but without changing the original look
Precision Nazi.
post #120 of 929 Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

LOL or rather Swiss precision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode