Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Modern V8s: 360, F430 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/)
-   -   F430 LED Tail Lights Comparison and Review (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/16267-led-tail-lights-comparison.html)

Mo T 01-23-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StefVan (Post 174000)
Not yet Mohammed, I'm waiting for the delivery of the remaining 6xLED lights as I initially ordered only 1 set of each tested LED light. I'll post some pics once I've installed all of them. But I will have to upgrade also my integrated wire harness relays (another DIY guide where all 4 tail lights are working together). The Reed relays won't be able to switch more than 5W while now I will have 2x6W. I'll make a separate thread on how to upgrade to Euro tail lights in such way that all 4 tail lights will work together (position and brake light) respecting the mandatory EURO fog rear lights (that's why we need a relay).

4 tail lights working together would be incredible. Especially with the nice spread this #6 led has.

Looking forward to your further updates Stef :thumbsup:

Tio 01-23-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StefVan (Post 173974)
Thanks very much Harry ;). I found only one place where to get these 6W LED lights.

The seller "ac-rc" sells them on Ebay : Aquarium, Led Lamp Bulb items in ac-rc store on eBay!

I've exchanged many emails with the shop owner Alan and he's one of the best sellers I dealt with on Ebay or the Internet. Very fast replies, extremely helpful and very courteous.

The 6W LED lights can be found here :
2 x 1157 Red 6W Ultra Bright High Power LED Tail Brake Signal Light | eBay

Please keep in mind that it's now Chinese New Year so most of the shops and plants are closed.

This is fantastic!

I will check them out now!

Thanks again!
:-)

StefVan 01-26-2012 08:47 AM

I received some good update from the seller of the LED #6 - 6W. They will upgrade their lights with 45mm high power LED chips which will make this light 50% more brighter but will operate with an identical temperature. I will let you know when they will be available and will test them out ;)

50hdmc 01-28-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StefVan (Post 174864)
I received some good update from the seller of the LED #6 - 6W. They will upgrade their lights with 45mm high power LED chips which will make this light 50% more brighter but will operate with an identical temperature. I will let you know when they will be available and will test them out ;)

Very impressive indeed.....NICE work!

StefVan 03-03-2012 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture with the results of the 6W LED Lights. There are extremely bright overpassing largely a normal incandescent light bulb. With all 8 halves illuminating all together, now the brake lights can be seen much better and from far away. In addition, such LED lights illuminate well faster than an incandescent light bulb.

These LED lights should last a mininum of 30.000 hours which is 3.5 years non-stop illuminated. That's well more than the life time of a car and I won't have to deal anymore with blown light bulbs ;)

sclja 03-21-2012 08:27 PM

led testing

Excellent write up... I would like to say that you honestly saved [email protected] $150 in parts and countless hours of time testing as I have done a couple of led complete make overs on cars and I have a 360 in my bay right now and my customer is interested in an leds.... I would like to offer something for your time! If you want to send me your email/ paypal I will contribute to your cause!

Scott LJA

StefVan 03-21-2012 10:35 PM

Hi Scott,
Thanks very much for your very honest wish to contribute, this is so rare today :) I'm glad this saved you some precious time in research and testing. I will PM you.

Please post us a picture of your clients LED taillight once you've done the job ;). And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them.

netman 03-22-2012 10:18 AM

Are these same bulbs applicable to the 360 F1 cars as well?

StefVan 03-22-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netman (Post 185414)
Are these same bulbs applicable to the 360 F1 cars as well?

Sure you can use them on any pre-458 Ferrari model.

StefVan 03-22-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sclja (Post 185300)
Excellent write up... I would like to say that you honestly saved [email protected] $150 in parts and countless hours of time testing as I have done a couple of led complete make overs on cars and I have a 360 in my bay right now and my customer is interested in an leds.... I would like to offer something for your time! If you want to send me your email/ paypal I will contribute to your cause!

Scott LJA

Scott, I wanted to publically thank you for your contribution I received by Paypal! Im very flattered! :thumbsup:

StefVan 03-25-2012 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As I wrote in post #23, the 6W LED light has now been improved to a 7.5W (180mA) LED light containing now a 60 lens.

Although, there is warning saying that they shouldn't be used more than 15 minutes at full power to avoid overheating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220984738160

StefVan 03-28-2012 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Since the 6W LED lights have been replaced by the 7.5W LED lights, I got back in touch with the vendor in China to understand why these new LED lights are heating so much. They measured 65C after 30 minutes of operation which is the maximum the heat sink can cope with, so this LED light can't be used as a fog light for instance. Although, as a position/parking + stop light, it still should be fine but I haven't tested out.

The new 7.5W is based on the latest EPISTAR ES-LAHRPH24 chip which is a 24milx24mil (610um...) chip. It can deliver a luminous intensity of 3000mcd at 150mA! Very impressive.
The light has 3LED's x 4 faces + 3LED's on top behind the lens. That's a total of 15LED's.

Here's a picture comparing the recommended 6W to the 7.5W in stop light (highest brightness). As you can see, the brightness of the 7.5W is truly impressive knowing that the 6W was already at a very high level.
Attachment 43122

Microscopic view of the EPISTAR Chip
Attachment 43123

Despite the impressive 7.5W LED light, I've asked them if they can produce again the 6W LED lights. They are now building up a 6W prototype using the new LED chips and new housing and will send it to me for testing. At the end, both 7.5W and 6W will be available so that anyone can choose what suits best depending on their needs :) More to come ;)

StefVan 03-29-2012 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another picture comparing the 6W with the 7.5W but this time in position/parking (reduced brightness).

In position/parking, the maximum measured temperature was 34C with an ambient temperature of 24.5C and after 1 hour non-stop operation time.

'Da Wolf 04-10-2012 07:21 AM

Hey mate nice to see you still adding untold value to the Ferrari world. So what would you recommend to go for? The red or white and 6 or 7.5?
How many bulbs in total will I need? Two for the white reverse and 6 red?
Also do you have Alan's email address I could have please.

Thanks

StefVan 04-10-2012 09:40 AM

Thanks very much buddy ;)

Without hesitation, I would consider only red LED lights for the parking/stop lights. As for the 2 reverse lights, if I'm not mistaken, on the 360, these are P21W bulbs (1156). I would take the white version for the reverse lights.

I don't know exactly how many P21/5W - 1157 bulbs you have on the US version of the 360. I would advise you to remove the bulb holders and check how many exactly you need. If someone knows this, please chime in.

You can reach Alan directly at [email protected]. Don't hesitate to reference me to have the best service. Alan is now working on the new 6W version because I asked him the produce them again. The latest 7.5W have a too high operation temperature and I can't advice them for our Ferraris. We had several exchanges to specify the new 6W LED lights and I should receive soon a first "Proof of Concept" which I will test and check. I will update as soon as I'm having some fresh update ;)

'Da Wolf 04-10-2012 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey mate, thanks for that my car is a Euro spec 360: Heres a pic of the light housing (borrowed from a friend).

Thanks

'Da Wolf 04-10-2012 05:07 PM

List of bulbs on the 360 from the manual

1 Attachment(s)
If anyones interested.

Tio 04-11-2012 01:47 AM

Hi Stef,

If you ever decide to make a led light package for the F430, I am interested.
I trust you more than I trust my self when it comes to making the right decisions
regarding any upgrade for our cars!
:)

trainwrex 04-12-2012 06:53 PM

Great workup stef.

How are these leds wired in? i will be looking at doing this for my stradale once it arrives in a couple of months.

StefVan 04-12-2012 10:12 PM

Thanks very much ;) and welcome to FerrariLife :)

The 1157 and 1156 LEDs are a direct replacement of the normal light bulbs. There is no rewiring needed ;)

On the 360 and CS, the parking/stop lights are 1157-21W5 light bulbs while the fog and turn lights are 1156- 21W only. If you change the turn lights for the LED version, you'll need to add a load resistor, otherwise, they will blink too fast.