F430 Maserati to Ferrari switch - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 25
Maserati to Ferrari switch

I hope this is the correct forum :-)

I am a 8 year Maserati owner (QP/GT) and was considering switching to Ferrari.

I'm looking for either a 2008-2009 F430 or a 2010-2011 California

Any tips on what to expect or what to look for when buying will be greatly appreciated!

thx
ShotGun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotGun View Post
I hope this is the correct forum :-)

I am a 8 year Maserati owner (QP/GT) and was considering switching to Ferrari.

I'm looking for either a 2008-2009 F430 or a 2010-2011 California

Any tips on what to expect or what to look for when buying will be greatly appreciated!

thx
Welcome to FL, ShotGun. Nothing to be scared of here. Intro yourself and ask away. Any reasons for choosing that particular model ? w/ smiles Jimmy
Italian Lover is offline  
post #3 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
SG- Welcome to Ferrari Life. You have chosen two very different, but very competent, cars. Owners of both love them, so it really comes down to how do you intend to use the car. As a daily driver, the California is hard to beat. For a weekend only car, the F430 is perfect, and also makes a good daily driver. Both attract a lot of attention, especially the F430.

Lots of owners of both here can give you honest appraisals.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
 
post #4 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Owner
 
StefVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
Hi, very welcome to FerrariLife It's a bit difficult to answer your question as it really depends what you're looking for. The F430 is a very different car compared to the California. Somehow, the California would be closer to a QP. Is this car going to be a daily driver? If yes, the California may be a better choice. If you're looking for occasional musculed drives giving great sensations, then the F430 would be a better option.

Did you had already a test drive on both cars?

Please, let us know a bit more what are your expectations.
Stef
StefVan is online now  
post #5 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Stef- Great minds think alike, and what are you doing awake at this hour in the morning?

SG- Incidentally, Stef is the F430 expert on this site.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #6 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 25
Thank you for the warm welcome and quick response.

i would say a semi daily driver since I have 3 other car and a motorcycle.

I love the QP I currently have and handling is great, so I would like to have something similar.

I love the way the 430 looks and sounds but the inside is a bit on the "naked sport" feeling with no gadgets it seem.

California is the opposite, looks great inside, sound great but not to in love with the way it looks.

I didn't test drive a ferrari so far so...

How is the maintenance on it? what should I look sof ror ask?
I wasn't smart enough to ask before i got my first QP and costs were insane on it since I got it with 90% worn out clutch :-(
ShotGun is offline  
post #7 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Owner
 
StefVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Stef- Great minds think alike, and what are you doing awake at this hour in the morning?
Terry, that's exactly what I thought about you when I saw your post I'm quite a early bird I must say (and late bird too )
StefVan is online now  
post #8 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Owner
 
StefVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotGun View Post
I love the QP I currently have and handling is great, so I would like to have something similar.

I love the way the 430 looks and sounds but the inside is a bit on the "naked sport" feeling with no gadgets it seem.

California is the opposite, looks great inside, sound great but not to in love with the way it looks.
You're very welcome here

Clutch wear is definitely something to check on both cars but especially on the F430 as well as the condition of the exhaust headers. In terms of handling, both cars have a great handling but very different character. Maybe the California would suit you better as you'll spend more time inside then outside The California has also a double clutch gearbox of the latest technology (identical to the 458) and will gear in a much smoother way then the F430. The F430 is a pure sport car with brutal gearing and requires more involvement of the driver.

Go and try them out, it's the best way to make up your mind
StefVan is online now  
post #9 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Owner
 
430Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
SG, welcome to Ferrari Life!

If you already have three other cars, then reward yourself with a 430. You don't need another daily driver. You won't go wrong with either. Both are very fine specimens of Ferrari's best.
430Addict is offline  
post #10 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotGun View Post
I am a 8 year Maserati owner (QP/GT) and was considering switching to Ferrari.
Switch?! Why put yourself through the agony? Keep the QP and get a 430. Best of both worlds.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #11 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Ferrari Life Posts: 39
I drive a 06 GS and 04 360 coupe and agree with most of the other posts. One additional thought though, if I had to give up both for just 1 replacement, I would consider a 612 (or if I could give up the +2 a 575, which I like much better from a styling perspective). Have not driven either though. Re costs, I found that the cost on the GS is slightly less, but it seems to need much more unplanned repair than the 360. Maybe because it is my daily driver, but quality seems a tick below the f-cars. Good luck.
louman3 is offline  
post #12 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Shotgun,
Welcome to Ferrari Life. You've come to the right place for a completely unbiased opinion

I echo the comments below!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Go and try them out, it's the best way to make up your mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Switch?! Why put yourself through the agony? Keep the QP and get a 430. Best of both worlds.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #13 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
You're very welcome here

Clutch wear is definitely something to check on both cars but especially on the F430 as well as the condition of the exhaust headers. In terms of handling, both cars have a great handling but very different character. Maybe the California would suit you better as you'll spend more time inside then outside The California has also a double clutch gearbox of the latest technology (identical to the 458) and will gear in a much smoother way then the F430. The F430 is a pure sport car with brutal gearing and requires more involvement of the driver.

Go and try them out, it's the best way to make up your mind
Somehow I am leaning towards you getting a CA Shotgun. It would have just enough sport to satisfy your needs and get you extra fun with top down and technology. I'll post later if needed but a CA sporting CF seats etc. looked great and would make a much better DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louman3 View Post
I drive a 06 GS and 04 360 coupe and agree with most of the other posts. One additional thought though, if I had to give up both for just 1 replacement, I would consider a 612 (or if I could give up the +2 a 575, which I like much better from a styling perspective). Have not driven either though. Re costs, I found that the cost on the GS is slightly less, but it seems to need much more unplanned repair than the 360. Maybe because it is my daily driver, but quality seems a tick below the f-cars. Good luck.
You should test drive the 12's. You might have another problem you didn't expect: A third choice

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 01-05-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Granucci is offline  
post #14 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
You should test drive the 12's. You might have another problem you didn't expect: A third choice

Hell, drive a classic too... choice no. 4

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #15 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotGun View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome and quick response.

i would say a semi daily driver since I have 3 other car and a motorcycle.

I love the QP I currently have and handling is great, so I would like to have something similar.

I love the way the 430 looks and sounds but the inside is a bit on the "naked sport" feeling with no gadgets it seem.

California is the opposite, looks great inside, sound great but not to in love with the way it looks.

I didn't test drive a ferrari so far so...

How is the maintenance on it? what should I look sof ror ask?
I wasn't smart enough to ask before i got my first QP and costs were insane on it since I got it with 90% worn out clutch :-(

Drive them both and then decide. They are very different cars. The California is much closer the Maseratis you know, the 430 is a more focused sports car.
Boxer is offline  
post #16 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Owner
 
masher44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 67
I went from a 2006 Coupe GT to an 05 430.

Totally different cars. 430 is way more sporty and an eventful drive but yet it is a daily, very very comfortable driver, like my GT.

You win either way.
masher44 is offline  
post #17 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by masher44 View Post
I went from a 2006 Coupe GT to an 05 430.

Totally different cars. 430 is way more sporty and an eventful drive but yet it is a daily, very very comfortable driver, like my GT.

You win either way.
Welcome to F Life Jim.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #18 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
welcome Jim, introduce yourself more and tell us more in the intro section.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline  
post #19 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 25
Thx for all the amazing comments here!

One Q why I can't seem to find a F California section on this forum... no love :-)

I have my test drives set for this coming saturday so crossing fingers.
ShotGun is offline  
post #20 of 55 Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
SG- Will ask Andrew to add the California to the modern V8 section. Good catch.

Most California owners love their cars. Either is a great choice.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale