F430 KIWI WIFI tested on F430 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 12-25-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
KIWI WIFI tested on F430

I heard quite a lot about the Kiwi Wifi diagnostic interface, so I had to try it out on my car .

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting too much from this interface but surprisingly, I found this product rather good and it was giving some essential data of the F430.

Name:  PLX2.jpg
Views: 6291
Size:  115.7 KB

This interface connects directly on the OBD connector and uses a wireless 802.11 WIFI network to exchange data with an IPhone or IPad. The device has a small switch to turn the Kiwi on/off. As the OBD connector has a Vbatt +12V (permanently powered), this small power switch can be useful if you want to leave the Kiwi interface connected.

The only other notable features of the interface are a red light indicating the device power state and a green “LINK” light that indicates an iPhone/iPod connection is present.

Name:  IMG_0687R.jpg
Views: 4314
Size:  34.4 KB

To complete the setup, you need go to "Settings" on your iPod or iPhone device. A new wireless host named “PLXDevices” will be displayed. Connect to that device and in the “Static”section, enter the IP address 192.168.0.11 and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Name:  PLX5.jpg
Views: 4406
Size:  34.6 KB

Kiwi Wifi Specifications:

SSID: PLXDevices
IP: 192.168.0.10
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Port: 35000
Range: 50 ft (line of sight)
Antenna: Internal
Power Consumption: 0.7 Watts
Wifi Standard: 802.11a/b/g
Operating Temp: -15 to 100° C
Dimensions: 2.75x1.25x0.6 Inches

The Kiwi interface is supported by several applications from the iTunes store. I’ve tested the main applications : Dash Command, Rev and FuzzyCar. All were able to connect to the Kiwi interface. I preferred Dash Command from Palmer Performance. It is based on the DashXL platform and supports all OBD-II protocols: SAE-J1850 (PWM and VPW), ISO-9141, ISO-14230 (KWP2000), and ISO-15765 (CAN).

Name:  dashcmd_spread.jpg
Views: 4374
Size:  58.8 KB

Dash Command Features:

• Full support for OBD-II diagnostics
  • Find out why your check-engine light is on
  • Read and clear diagnostics trouble codes (DTCs)
  • Supports over 220 OBD-II parameters
  • Display sensor data directly from the factory computer in your vehicle
  • Record and playback log files showing OBD-II data and also skidpad/race track data simultaneously
  • Vehicle manager helps you keep track of different vehicles and log files automatically
Grace to the DashXL platform, you can download for free some other existing gauges from http://www.dashxl.net/. If you feel so, you can even create your own gauges or dashboards with the free DashXL Skin Editor : http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/skinxl/

For those who wants to dig deeper in this system, don’t miss this document : http://www.palmerperformance.com/download/CALC_PID_Reference.pdf

User manuals can be found here :
DashCommand_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf
DashCommand_WiFi_Setup_Guide.pdf
DashCommand_User_Manual.pdf

Dash Command has also a very good Data Logging system. You can send your logged data by email to your PC and use the free PLX Logger software to upload the log file and analyse the data. PLX logger 3.0 can be found here : http://www.plxdevices.com/support/software/logger3_0.html

Now back to the F430. I put together a list of all the supported PID’s. Despite the announcement of the 260 supported PID’s, a generic OBD tool like the Kiwi will support only a limited number of them on the F430.

SAE.MIL : Malfunction Indicator Lamp Status
SAE.DTC_CNT : Number of emission-related DTC’s stored in this ECU
SAE.MIL_DIST : Distance travelled while MIL is activated
SAE.MIS_SUP : Misfire monitoring support
SAE.FUEL_SUP : Fuel system monitoring support
SAE.CCM_SUP : Comprehensive component monitoring support
SAE.MIS_RDY : Misfire monitoring status
SAE.FUEL_RDY : Fuel system monitoring status
SAE.CCM_RDY : Comprehensive component monitoring status
SAE.CAT_SUP : Catalyst monitoring support
SAE.HCAT_SUP : Heated catalyst monitoring support
SAE.EVAP_SUP : Evaporative system monitoring support
SAE.AIR_SUP : Secondary air system monitoring support
SAE.ACRF_SUP : A/C system refrigerant monitoring support
SAE.O2S_SUP : Oxygen sensor monitoring support
SAE.HTR_SUP : Oxygen sensor heater monitoring support
SAE.EGR_SUP : EGR system monitoring support
SAE.CAT_RDY : Catalyst monitoring status
SAE.O2S_RDY : Oxygen sensor monitoring status
SAE.HTR_RDY : Oxygen sensor heater monitoring status
SAE.OBDSUP : On board diagnostic system type
SAE.CIM_SUP : Compression ignition monitoring supported
SAE.FUELSYS1: Fuel system 1 status
SAE:FUELSYS2 : Fuel system 2 status
SAE.SHRTFT1 : Short term fuel trim – Bank 1
SAE.SHRTFT3 : Short term fuel trim – Bank 3
SAE.LONGFT1 : Long term fuel trim – Bank 1
SAE.LONGFT3 : Long term fuel trim – Bank 3
SAE.LOAD_PCT : Calculated load value
SAE.TP : Absolute throttle position
SAE.ECT : Engine coolant temperature
SAE.IAT : Intake air temperature
SAE.MAF : Air flow rate from MAF sensor
SAE.RMP : Engine rpm
SAE.VSS : Vehicle speed sensor
SAE.SPARKADV : Ignition timing advance for Cylinder 1
SAE.O2SLOC11 : Oxygen sensor location bank 1 – sensor 1
SAE.O2SLOC12 : Oxygen sensor location bank 1 – sensor 2
SAE.O2SLOC13 : Oxygen sensor location bank 1 – sensor 3
SAE.O2SLOC14 : Oxygen sensor location bank 1 – sensor 4
SAE.O2SLOC21 : Oxygen sensor location bank 2 – sensor 1
SAE.O2SLOC22 : Oxygen sensor location bank 2 – sensor 2
SAE.O2SLOC23 : Oxygen sensor location bank 2 – sensor 3
SAE.O2SLOC24 : Oxygen sensor location bank 2 – sensor 4
SAE.O2S12.O2SV : Oxygen sensor voltage bank 1 – sensor 2
SAE.WO2S11_B.LAMBDA : Oxygen sensor wideband bank 1 – sensor 1 equivalence ratio lambda
SAE.WO2S11_B.O2SC : Oxygen sensor widebank bank 1 – sensor 1 current mA
Vehicle.Voltage : Vehicle voltage

Conclusion:
I found this tool quite interesting to visualise or log some OBD data from the F430 but also to manage better the situation when you have a CEL somewhere far away from home. Without needing a laptop, just with your iPhone, you can find out immediately the reason why you have a CEL and evaluate how serious it is. Don't forget to download the error codes pdf file on your iPhone to find out more about the DTC error code you may have. (F430 Error Codes list - Ferrari Life)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #3 of 31 Old 12-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Great review Stefvan. Just wanted to add my 2c since I recently purchased the device as well.

I ue the Kiwi Wifi with Harry's Lap Timer Pro on an iPhone 4 and embed F430 gauges using Dashware. Although useful, I found that the Kiwi didn't cycle fast enough for accurate RPM and speed data (1hz). I believe other people have coupled their iphone and another GPS system (TomTom) to get more faster cycles (10 hz I believe). It is adequate for the track, but definitely doesn't replace the more accurate Traqmate et al.

Here's an example of someone else using a similar setup on a Merc. (I have my own video but would rather not post for obvious reasons)
Mercedes w203 c200k video data loggin part 9- dashware delay problems - YouTube

post #4 of 31 Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Thanks again Stefvan. Just read. Can I use this for all cars? Or just F cars?

all the best

PS - I realy like this DIY library. Great. Nothing disaperes and easy to find.

Anders T

F430 2008 Black/Red.
993 1997 Black
post #5 of 31 Old 12-27-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders T View Post
Thanks again Stefvan. Just read. Can I use this for all cars? Or just F cars?

all the best

PS - I realy like this DIY library. Great. Nothing disaperes and easy to find.
Hi Anders, the KIWI should work on all 1996-up vehicules as it is using the standard OBD2 protocol. Although, on my BMW 330xi, I get only the rpm PID, speed PID and VIN (in addition to the CEL management) while on the Serie 1, you get many PID's... But for the BMW, I found a great iPhone software that can go much deeper than OBD and will connect to all the BMW ECU's. It's called BMWhat! Made by a German guy. BMWhat-BMW diagnosis

I agree regarding the articles and books sections. That's the other reason why I came over here

I will update soon the shift light guide with the installation instructions as I succeeded to complete this project today

All the best Anders,
Stef
post #6 of 31 Old 12-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Tio
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 230
Just Wow!!!

How cool is that!

Definitely handy but can you imagine showing this off to your friends?
You can pull out your iPhone and tell your friends, let me call my car and see how it's doing!
:-)

I love this Stef, where did you get it from?
post #7 of 31 Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Harry . Your idea is really funny. Soon yes, you'll be able to talk to your car and ask him how he's going. We watched "The Moon" again last night and Gerty the computer is very advanced OBD reader maybe one day our cars will talk to us like Gerty

You can find the KIWI in UK on their website :
Welcome to PLX Devices product page - www.plxdevices.co.uk ( English Version ) or Welcome to PLX Kiwi WiFi Homepage - www.kiwiwifi.co.uk ( English Version )

I bought it on a local Swiss website. Nice little New Year's gift
post #8 of 31 Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
They are available on eBay as well.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #9 of 31 Old 12-29-2011, 02:26 AM
Tio
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 230
Thanks so much Stef!
I will order one today!
It goes under the Christmas tree as well,
mind you the tree will most probably be Dow by the time it arrives!
post #10 of 31 Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Owner

Same for me. Will order both this and a sequential shift light this weekend.
Thanks again Stefvan. Would be rather boring to own a Ferrari if you weren´t around.

Anders T

F430 2008 Black/Red.
993 1997 Black
post #11 of 31 Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Thanks so much Stef!
I will order one today!
It goes under the Christmas tree as well,
mind you the tree will most probably be Dow by the time it arrives!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders T View Post
Same for me. Will order both this and a sequential shift light this weekend.
Thanks again Stefvan. Would be rather boring to own a Ferrari if you weren´t around.
Thanks guys, you're very welcome The F430 is a hell of a car to explore and the challenge stands in the fact that not much information is available regarding the Ecu's and Can Bus data communication which makes it even more exciting

If I can find some time, I will design and develop a specific F430 dashboard for the Dash Command software.

From the available PID's list above in this thread, which PID's would you like to monitor on a specific F430 dashboard?
post #12 of 31 Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Stef, it would be great to have this for the older V8/V12 cars (355/456/550) as well. Do you know if this works with their Motronics v5.2 ECU's?

I think having the OBDII PID's from my 550 on a wireless iPad would be too cool. I have limited access now with the ScanXL Pro software from scantool.net, and their WiFi/Bluetooth interface, but I haven't had the time or inclination to fool with developing it further.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #13 of 31 Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi John, as long as these cars have a compliant ISO 9141 K and L line on resp. Pins 7 and 15 of the OBD2 connector, the Kiwi interface should work. When I had the 355, I was at that time able to access the OBD PID's after having resolved the ground pin issue. But it's difficult to guess how many PID's the Dash Command software will be able to access on these cars. Someone will have to test it out I'm afraid
post #14 of 31 Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Hi Stef, I do presently connect to my OBDLink WiFi (not Bluetooth) interface (ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink WiFi Scan Tool / Interface / Adapter - ScanTool.net) using the ISO 9141-2 protocol, so I'm thinking I probably just need to pick up the Dashboard software and have a play with it.

The connection over WiFi is reliable enough, but I wasn't impressed with the scan times - it seems they're only every 1.5 seconds or perhaps even slower. Maybe it's better with a mobile device like the iPhone/iPad.

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #15 of 31 Old 01-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Owner

This is one of the best DIY instructions I have ever read. Thanks Stefvan. Will sit down tonight and order both this and also the gear shift light. Then hopefully I will have time at the end of Jan.

Anders T

F430 2008 Black/Red.
993 1997 Black
post #16 of 31 Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
The connection over WiFi is reliable enough, but I wasn't impressed with the scan times - it seems they're only every 1.5 seconds or perhaps even slower. Maybe it's better with a mobile device like the iPhone/iPad.
John, here's a snapshot of some data frames I captured with the KIWI WIFI. In the entire log file, the average frame time was 120ms which is about 8 data captures per second. Each frame contains about 60 captures values (PID's and CALC's). I found this not bad at all for an OBD based solution transmitting data over WIFI .
Attached Images

post #17 of 31 Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks Stef; that's MUCH faster than my setup. I'll have to try this new reader and/or the software. Something in my setup isn't performing as it should. Could be the nut behind the keyboard is cross threaded....

post #18 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The new Kiwi is released

Just received the press release of the new Kiwi 2 :

Name:  image609526.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  19.8 KB

Official Press Release

PLX Presents the New Kiwi 2 Wifi
The Ultimate Car to Smartphone Interface for Apple Products

SUNNYVALE, CA July 5, 2012. PLX Devices Inc. presents the new Kiwi 2 Wifi. The ultimate car to smartphone interface is compatible with iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. The Kiwi 2 Wifi integrates with 1996 and later vehicles and installs in seconds. Connection is made through the vehicle's OBDII/CAN port located near or under the steering wheel. Interfacing with a vehicle's on board computer allows for monitoring fuel efficiency MPG, viewing real-time gauges, read/resetting engine check trouble codes and much more. The new Kiwi 2 Wifi will retail for just $119.99.

"The new Kiwi 2 Wifi sports tons of improvements," said Paul Lowchareonkul, PLX's CEO. "It's thinner, more affordable, automatically sleeps to prolong battery life and is compatible with aftermarket sensors with the iMFD Adapter accessory. It's a must have tool for any automotive enthusiast."

Kiwi 2 Wifi supports the highest number of apps for any car to smartphone interface today. These powerful apps enable analyzing engine check trouble codes, viewing real-time gauges, calculating fuel efficiency MPG, performing real-time dyno runs, logging data, creating and viewing GPS track mapping, monitoring road holding skid pad G's, video recording and data overlay for track days and can also interface with aftermarket automotive sensors such as wideband AFR, boost, and much more.

The Kiwi 2 Wifi includes several improvements over the first generation Kiwi Wifi. It now comes with a sleek new design and is 0.25 inches thinner. The cable length has been reduced from 6 feet to 3 feet, making for a cleaner permanent installation. It is compatible with ISO 9141, VPW, PWM, KWP2000, and CAN protocols.

The Kiwi 2 Wifi incorporates a new advanced power saving circuit, designed to shut off power to essential functions of the unit allowing the Kiwi 2 Wifi to be permanently installed in a vehicle without draining the vehicle's battery. After 5 minutes of inactivity, the Kiwi 2 Wifi automatically enters a low power sleep mode. To turn the unit back on, a simple press of the soft button wakes the device back up.

The Kiwi 2 Wifi includes an 8 pin port on the back designed for the PLX iMFD Adapter. This allows a connection to high performance aftermarket sensors such as wideband air/fuel ratio, exhaust gas temperature, vacuum/boost, air intake temperature, fluid pressure and fluid temperature. This solution is desired for applications where vehicles do not support certain sensors and/or the car's computer does not report them. With the PLX iMFD Adapter attached, the best of both worlds of fully plug and play OBDII/CAN data as well as high performance aftermarket sensors can be obtained.

PLX Devices Inc. pioneered the Car to Smartphone revolution with the first generation Kiwi Wifi in 2010, winning a SEMA award for Best Mobile Electronics Accessory, Popular Mechanics Editors Choice Award and 11 global media awards. PLX is committed to excellence and innovation in the automotive aftermarket industry. A Silicon Valley California Company, PLX Devices Bringing the Future. Visit www.plxdevices.com

Name:  GSST2WIFI_main.jpg
Views: 5998
Size:  18.6 KB
post #19 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Stef- Once of the things that slowed down Duram on his new diagnostic software was making it compatible with the iPhone/iPad. Wonder if he is looking at a similiar wireless capability for ModenaTech?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #20 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

You're right Terry, he was considering a wireless solution as well as iPhone/iPad/Androide software. It's not the best strategy I believe as developments on such platforms are very expensive and well more complex than PC based software. I manage several of such IT projects and all of them are just nightmares. But Duram had many requests from his clients who wanted to have the software running on Apple...I think he should have released at least a PC based software without wireless etc.

Anyway, for others not to get confused, the KIWI remains a basic OBD software amongst many others and has not specific Ferrari diagnostic capacities.

What I like most of the KIWI, is that they are always stored in my cars in case I have a CEL. With an iPone and DashCommand software, it's easy to find out what going wrong in case of CEL.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode