360 Belt service $3500 for 360? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Belt service $3500 for 360?

I'm not an owner yet, but have done a lot of research on the Ferrari 360 Modena. I've purchased the buyer's guide, confirmed my insurance cost and have been looking at 2001-2003 6-speed models online for the last several months.

I've read some posts on here with avg cost of ownership per year, etc., but I haven't been able to find specific prices that owners have paid for common services.

I realize that prices can vary by dealer, region, etc., but I've seen some quotes for service included in some of the ads and am wondering if the sellers are quoting accurate numbers.

One ad for a 360 states that belt service at a dealer in Florida would cost $3,500. Based upon owners' experience, is this accurate?

Also, I read that clutch service on an F1 costs significantly more than a manual. What does the typical clutch service cost for a manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
Belt service (only) on my 360 was $1800, including parts. $3500 would seem quite excessive unless that also included other service. My clutch replacement (F1 trans) was just under $6000 including all parts, labor, updates, etc. Clutch replacement would be somewhat less expensive on a 3 pedal car.

Cheers.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
You are running into a problem of semantics. The term belt service is an obfuscation and intended to confuse. Ferrari dictates that a major service be performed every 3 years or 30,000 miles. If done at that interval it does indeed require the entire service including a change of the timing belts. This is what many have come to rename a "Belt Service". Ferrari never suggested or intended for the entire service to be performed every 3 years but it is most often what is being sold by the dealer network. Many parts of that service simply do not need to be done every 3 years but at minimum the belts do.

At $3500 it will be a bare minimum major service and you will almost certainly be hit after the job is in progress with many add ons that will run up the price of the job.

If you tell us what the age, mileage and service history of the car is I can tell you what is really needed.

F1 and manual transmission clutch prices are very similar. It really only varies by a couple of parts. The hard part of estimating a clutch price on one is knowing its history. There are several possible updates and the parts prices for those updates can be nearly $1000 so there is no one size fits all price. I quote worst case prices, most quote best case prices and do not inform you of that fact. Thats OK with me because I want price shoppers to go somewhere else anyway.

Do yourself a favor. Quit shopping for a price, you will get screwed every single time. Shop for a person. The right guy will do the right job for the right price.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You are running into a problem of semantics. The term belt service is an obfuscation and intended to confuse. Ferrari dictates that a major service be performed every 3 years or 30,000 miles. If done at that interval it does indeed require the entire service including a change of the timing belts. This is what many have come to rename a "Belt Service". Ferrari never suggested or intended for the entire service to be performed every 3 years but it is most often what is being sold by the dealer network. Many parts of that service simply do not need to be done every 3 years but at minimum the belts do.

At $3500 it will be a bare minimum major service and you will almost certainly be hit after the job is in progress with many add ons that will run up the price of the job.

If you tell us what the age, mileage and service history of the car is I can tell you what is really needed.

F1 and manual transmission clutch prices are very similar. It really only varies by a couple of parts. The hard part of estimating a clutch price on one is knowing its history. There are several possible updates and the parts prices for those updates can be nearly $1000 so there is no one size fits all price. I quote worst case prices, most quote best case prices and do not inform you of that fact. Thats OK with me because I want price shoppers to go somewhere else anyway.

Do yourself a favor. Quit shopping for a price, you will get screwed every single time. Shop for a person. The right guy will do the right job for the right price.
Thanks for your reply. Most recently I've been considering a 2001 360 6-speed with around 8,000 miles 1-owner. I understand that the last major service (30K mile service) was done in 2007.

Based upon this info, I'm guessing that it's due for at least the "belt service" soon, so I've been trying to factor the cost of that in before I decide to purchase.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blueviper View Post
Thanks for your reply. Most recently I've been considering a 2001 360 6-speed with around 8,000 miles 1-owner. I understand that the last major service (30K mile service) was done in 2007.

Based upon this info, I'm guessing that it's due for at least the "belt service" soon, so I've been trying to factor the cost of that in before I decide to purchase.

A proper, thorough, chassis service that the car really needs annually will be close to $1000.

Replacing the belts, again properly performed and thorough, that the car needs every 3 years is around $2000. That generally gets combined with a chassis service.

Those prices can be lower in many parts of the country and can be vastly higher if you feel the need to go to a dealer.

That car will not need a major for 22,000 miles.

Last edited by Brian; 12-23-2011 at 10:17 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
A proper, thorough, chassis service that the car really needs annually will be close to $1000.

Replacing the belts, again properly performed and thorough, that the car needs every 3 years is around $2000. That generally gets combined with a chassis service.

Those prices can be lower in many parts of the country and can be vastly higher if you feel the need to go to a dealer.

That car will not need a major for 22,000 miles.
Brian, thanks again - that's what I hoped to hear.

Still curious about the cost of clutch service, though. I doubt that this particular car will need a new clutch soon, but just in case, I'm hoping to find out how much others have paid for clutch service on a 6 speed manual. The $6,000 David993s mentioned above for an F1 seems to be the average, but if the manual costs less, I'm wondering how much less...
post #7 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blueviper View Post
Brian, thanks again - that's what I hoped to hear.

Still curious about the cost of clutch service, though. I doubt that this particular car will need a new clutch soon, but just in case, I'm hoping to find out how much others have paid for clutch service on a 6 speed manual. The $6,000 David993s mentioned above for an F1 seems to be the average, but if the manual costs less, I'm wondering how much less...
I was quoted ~$5,000 to replace a manual clutch on my 360.
Thankfully, it is not needed yet.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
I was quoted ~$5,000 to replace a manual clutch on my 360.
Thankfully, it is not needed yet.
Great...well, the $5K isn't great, but at least I know what to expect now.

My dilemma has been whether to pay more for a car that is up-to-date on its service or less for car that needs service right after I buy it.

I have enough info now to make a decision.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Unless someone drove the car like a fool you shouldn't need to replace the clutch for at least another 20,000 miles. Go drive the car and see how it feels. Make sure to do some gear changes at high rpm's. I noticed my clutch feeling shorter at high rpm's. The car still drove fine at lower rev's, you would have never of known it otherwise. I bought my car with 27k miles and felt this almost immediately after taking taking delivery. Fortunately the dealer worked with me on the cost. Del ear would have charged about $5k, private shop was about $3500. These numbers are not exact but I believe parts including throwout bearing were about $2k and the balance was labor.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Brian, are you saying all modern ferraris with belts should have them replaced every three years? Or just 360. If so, why? do they wear out, get old, stretch? I ask because there seems to be quite a bit of confusion around this issue. My 328 belts haven't been changed in over 7 years and at least 15k miles. I know of others over 10yrs. A lot of other marques seem to suggest 30k miles with no time interval.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #11 of 12 Old 12-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Ed,
I believe it is more of an insurance policy. Spend $3k every 3 years or $40k for something catastrophic. In the end it is up to you.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
You pays your money and takes your chances.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode