F430 CEL intermittent on and off - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
CEL intermittent on and off

OK....I admit it, I slightly over filled the engine oil and made some smoke on startup! Now it's been 5 months and ever since that day my CEL will come on once in a while, but always seems to go off a little later. Since that time, I had the dealer do my 5000 mile service and asked them to look for any codes, none found. My F430 is a 2005 with F1. One easy question, can I use my AUTOXRAY, EZ-SCAN 4000 OB2 code reading to see if the car has any codes or do you have to take it to a dealer? My problem is the CEL may not come on for a few weeks and usually doesn't stay on for to long. My closest dealer is 2 hours away! Any ideas what my causes might be after overfilling the engine oil level! Damn.....still can't believe I did that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Hi Bob, welcome to FL

You can use any decent OBD scanner to get the DTC error codes but make sure its able to connect to both Motronic ECU's. Some scanners will connect only to the master ECU and wouldn't see the codes stored in the slave ECU. As soon you get a CEL, connect your scanner before it is gone. Try to get also the details of the freeze frames

I would also consider to clean up all the oil in the intake starting from the evap hoses up to the throttle valves. Your MAF's will need a good cleaning too.

Please let us know how it goes

Stef
post #3 of 5 Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
PS: please post your beauty in the New members area so that we can get to know a bit more about you

post #4 of 5 Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Any generic scanner will be able to read error codes and rediness signals from left and right sides but it probably will not be able to read live data or do diagnostics for the left side.

If it is intermittant it may only be able to be read when the light is actually on or it might show as an unset rediness indicator for one of the systems.

It is very possible you killed one or more O2 sensors and it causes fuel trim to go out of whack.

Last edited by Brian; 12-14-2011 at 08:52 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Thanks for the info, BTW the car has always run great and never noticed any I'll effects. I'll keep my scanner in the car and be ready to catch it in the act! I'll also do some cleaning as you fellows suggested. Thanks a bunch and wish everyone a safe and Happy Holiday season. Bob

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode