360 Installed Carbonio air box covers - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 12-08-2011, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Installed Carbonio air box covers

Recently installed the air box covers and they look great. Had a bit of trouble with the nuts and bolts as the ears housing the nuts broke off the filter compartment. I was still able to attach as there is a little lip that allows the nuts to butt up against.
Also had to drill one of the holes a little to the side in the CF cover as it did not line up well enough. Did not want to force the issue with the CF as the last thing I wanted to do was crack it.
Bottom line is that it looks awesome and the little extra I paid for the Carbonio over some other options is well worth it as they are very well made and the carbon weave looks great. Paddle shifters next!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Kevin- I highly recommend the Carbonio shifter paddles. The same paddles fit the 360 and 575M. Ricambi sells them.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 30 Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Kevin- I highly recommend the Carbonio shifter paddles. The same paddles fit the 360 and 575M. Ricambi sells them.
Absolutely. Those shifters look great. They are on my list and hopefully I will get a pair in a few months.

post #4 of 30 Old 12-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
Looks absolutely fantastic!!! Well done. good choice. Carbonio or nothing. The rest just can't compare.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430Addict View Post
Looks absolutely fantastic!!! Well done. good choice. Carbonio or nothing. The rest just can't compare.
Thanks. I agree. I am really impressed with the quality. Can't wait to get the paddle shifters.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Owner

Those are a must. With the shifters, your fingers will be stuck on them shifting just for the heck of it coz it just feels so good.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,341
Very nice Kevin, well done ! Did you keep the paper filters or do you use now the BMC filters?
post #8 of 30 Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Very nice Kevin, well done ! Did you keep the paper filters or do you use now the BMC filters?
Thanks Stef. The car had some aftermarket filters in when I changed the covers. Really not sure what make they are. I looked at the BMC filters online and the filters I have look similar but have a blue border. I left them in but did get some filters from Carbonio that came with the covers.
post #9 of 30 Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Owner

The ones from carbonio are very oily...soaked to be precise. I still have the spare set lying around. I've got bmc filters in mine and couldn't be happier.
post #10 of 30 Old 12-09-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
The ones from carbonio are very oily...soaked to be precise. I still have the spare set lying around. I've got bmc filters in mine and couldn't be happier.
I did notice that while they were in the plastic. I have not opened them up but now that you mention it, I was wondering why there was so much moisture in the package.
post #11 of 30 Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Kevin- You definitely do not want that much oil upstream of your MAF meters. The other filter maker with Ferrari applications is K&N.

I personally stick to the OEM filters. Just call me chicken.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 30 Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Kevin- You definitely do not want that much oil upstream of your MAF meters. The other filter maker with Ferrari applications is K&N.

I personally stick to the OEM filters. Just call me chicken.
Thanks Terry. I will be sure to keep oily filters out of there.
post #13 of 30 Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Owner

I'm the same chicken as Terry ,don't want to put anything else than paper filters and I just change them every year or so. Terry is right, the MAF sensors are extremely sensitive to any kind of fluid or dirt. They are hot wire based and will cook anything that get in contact with it. The worst is that you won't even notice when they'll start failing (progressively) except if you put an oscilloscope on them. And misleading MAF results will have a consequence on the A/F ratio which the ECU's will try hard to adjust in closed loop only.

I don't want to scare here but I have already convinced several friends in the past when I showed them the scope results of their MAF's after driving some time with non-paper based filters. With such filters, I would at least carefully clean the MAF's a couple of times per year as a preventive action.

Here's an easy test you can try: put a very clean white paper behind the filter and blow hot air through the filter using for instance a powerful hair dryer. If you see any kind of dirt/fluid traces on the white paper, it's a no-go
post #14 of 30 Old 12-09-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
I'm the same chicken as Terry ,don't want to put anything else than paper filters and I just change them every year or so. Terry is right, the MAF sensors are extremely sensitive to any kind of fluid or dirt. They are hot wire based and will cook anything that get in contact with it. The worst is that you won't even notice when they'll start failing (progressively) except if you put an oscilloscope on them. And misleading MAF results will have a consequence on the A/F ratio which the ECU's will try hard to adjust in closed loop only.

I don't want to scare here but I have already convinced several friends in the past when I showed them the scope results of their MAF's after driving some time with non-paper based filters. With such filters, I would at least carefully clean the MAF's a couple of times per year as a preventive action.

Here's an easy test you can try: put a very clean white paper behind the filter and blow hot air through the filter using for instance a powerful hair dryer. If you see any kind of dirt/fluid traces on the white paper, it's a no-go
Thanks for the info and advice Stef.
post #15 of 30 Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Owner

Quote:

BMC included?
post #16 of 30 Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Owner

Quote:
BMC included?
Yes my friend Everything that is not paper based.
post #17 of 30 Old 12-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
I had removed my BMC filters and put new stock paper filters in after hearing issues with MAF sensors & oil . I also purchased the carbon shift paddles last year - they are great !
post #18 of 30 Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Andy- Do I have your 575M in my small data base? If not, give me details and I will add her to the list. Would love to see some photos of your interior with the Carbonio paddles.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 575M 575 SA VIN and Assembly Numbers Rev 1.78.doc (230.0 KB, 83 views)

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #19 of 30 Old 12-11-2011, 04:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
What about if you lightly oil them and make sure they are dry ?
post #20 of 30 Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Owner

Even if these filters look dry, I believe that massive volumes of air going through such filters will still be able to be charged with the minuscule particles of oil. They will find their way to the MAF hot wire and get fixed ont it (a hot element always attracts any kind of foreign molecule it will capture and transform it in a solid deposit), reducing progressively the sensor’s capacity of measuring the intake air volume. At the other side, not applying enough oil will reduce the filter’s capacity of filtering dust which will obviously also contaminate the MAF.

That’s why, with the very little gain of air flow using non-paper based filters, I don’t want to take the risk of reducing the MAF’s capacity and as a consequence, the engine performance . But that’s just my 0.02 cents .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode