360 360 air filter compartment nuts broken - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
360 air filter compartment nuts broken

Any advise appreciated.
Installed Carbonio air box covers and while removing the old covers I noticed that two of the ear/bolts on the filter housing was hanging by a thread. Still tried to install and when I did the two rear bolts came off. Hope I explained this to make sense. Any ideas besides replacing the filter housing.
Thanks.
F1fanforlife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Owner
 
a1exander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Johannesburg RSA
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
If I understand you correctly the nuts welded under the filter housing came loose?
If so remove the filter housing and get them re welded.

Quickest way to align the ears with the nuts would be to take the cover of the housing as well as the housing to a welder fit the top of the air filter housing to the bottom piece and align the broken parts to be welded.
Hope this helps
a1exander is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Kevin- Assume you mean the nuts that hold the eight screws (3) below came loose?

Epoxy might be another solution without wiping out the finish on the filter housing.

Of course, there is always the OEM carbon fiber filter housing available. Should not be much more than $8-10K.

Note that there is a different mounting system for the CF air filter housing, which you might be able to adapt to your filter housing. It uses studs and nuts rather than the welded on fittings of the base housing.
Attached Images
   

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 12-06-2011 at 10:59 AM.
tazandjan is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
If I understand you correctly the nuts welded under the filter housing came loose?
If so remove the filter housing and get them re welded.

Quickest way to align the ears with the nuts would be to take the cover of the housing as well as the housing to a welder fit the top of the air filter housing to the bottom piece and align the broken parts to be welded.
Hope this helps
Yes you are correct. Thanks for the advise. Certainly sounds like a method to consider. Much appreciated.
BTW, I was born and raised in JHB. Left in 92 and have not been back since. Need to get back soon for a vacation. Miss the Cape and Kruger.
Thanks again for your help.
Kevin.
F1fanforlife is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Kevin- Assume you mean the nuts that hold the eight screws (3) below came loose?

Epoxy might be another solution without wiping out the finish on the filter housing.

Of course, there is always the OEM carbon fiber filter housing available. Should not be much more than $8-10K.
Yes Terry you are correct. Thanks for the advise. Epoxy is a good idea. Will it hold up to the heat though being on the exhaust side?
I do like your CF idea. It was tough enough getting the wife to agree on the covers
F1fanforlife is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Owner
 
a1exander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Johannesburg RSA
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fanforlife View Post
Yes you are correct. Thanks for the advise. Certainly sounds like a method to consider. Much appreciated.
BTW, I was born and raised in JHB. Left in 92 and have not been back since. Need to get back soon for a vacation. Miss the Cape and Kruger.
Thanks again for your help.
Kevin.
A pleasure.

Try and make it back, SA still remains a magnificent country irrespective of the shenanigans that do on occasion surface.
We have a lot to be gratefull for......ja nee.
a1exander is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
A pleasure.

Try and make it back, SA still remains a magnificent country irrespective of the shenanigans that do on occasion surface.
We have a lot to be gratefull for......ja nee.
Will definitely be back to show the wife and kids, in the next few years. Can't argue that it is beautiful.
Cheers.
F1fanforlife is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Kevin- I edited my post when I noticed the CF part has a different mounting system. Might be adaptable to the two spots where the parts are broken.

There are high temperature epoxies. The short bonding type will probably not be what you want.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Kevin- I edited my post when I noticed the CF part has a different mounting system. Might be adaptable to the two spots where the parts are broken.

There are high temperature epoxies. The short bonding type will probably not be what you want.
Thank you Terry. I will be checking out the options. Josh at ECS has an idea of fabricating a bracket that will be nice and secure for future maintenance. Much appreciated.
Kevin.
F1fanforlife is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Problem solved

Managed to get the cover attached using the original bolt and nut. There is a lip on the filter compartment that allows the bolt and nut to be tightened adequately. Works just fine. Thanks to all that provided input. Much appreciated.
Kevin.
Attached Images
 
F1fanforlife is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Looks fine.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 12-07-2011, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Looks fine.
Thanks Terry. For a finishing touch I would like to either get some black bolts or just paint these black.
F1fanforlife is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Kevin- I was thinking the same thing. Paint the screw and nut black and square the nut up with the housing and nobody would notice it at all.

Try McMaster-Carr. They carry black screws and nuts.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Owner
 
a1exander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Johannesburg RSA
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
You can also boil the bolts and nuts in engine oil...preferably used non synthetic.
They will turn out black.


Make sure you do it using your wife's AMC S/S pots and without the extractor on.

If you make it alive come and tell us how they turned out.
a1exander is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post

Try McMaster-Carr. They carry black screws and nuts.
Thanks. I will check them out.
F1fanforlife is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
You can also boil the bolts and nuts in engine oil...preferably used non synthetic.
They will turn out black.


Make sure you do it using your wife's AMC S/S pots and without the extractor on.

If you make it alive come and tell us how they turned out.
Should I keep the windows open or closed?
F1fanforlife is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 12-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Kevin- Depends on how loudly your wife is yelling at you.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale