Engine management light on, then off again - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 87
Engine management light on, then off again

I suffered today a strange fault in my Scuderia: I turned on the car and let the engine warm ahead of a parade lap at Mugello during the Ferrari Finals Event.

By the time I started the lap, the engine water and oil were well warmed up. The lap itself was a bit more spirited than the name 'parade' would suggest, by by no means I drove the card hard, except maybe a couple of accelerations in 2nd gear to 8000 rpm. Well, by the time I return to the paddock the engine management light in the dashboard is on, but the cars runs well, so I start my 550 kms drive back home. Half way through the trip, the engine management light disappears again.

Any ideas of what happened? (I assume it is a problem with the lambda sensors or something like that).

Current & past: 365 GT 2+2, 550 Maranello, F430 Scuderia
Other: Mercedes 230 SL 'Pagode', BMW M3 E30 Evo II, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2 and a few other toys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Nice event you had there

Actually, there are many possible reasons why you got a CEL. Unfortunately, only a OBD diagnostic reader can tell exactly the error codes. Some errors will make indeed disappear the CEL if they don't happen again during a distance of driving.

The first thing I would think about is the E-Diff. In Sport mode on the Scud, the E-Diff overheats very easily. I've seen many Scud owners driving their car on track with the manetino on Sport . In this position, without even driving the car too hard (but with well too hard accelerations when getting out of a turn...), the E-Diff will have to work almost non-stop and will easily overheat. The best is to use only the Race mode on track but then it's the driver who will have to work a bit more .

It's always a good idea to have a OBD reader with you in the car, just in case of (and have a copy of my error codes list here : F430 Error Codes list - Ferrari Life). At least it will give you an idea if the error is serious or not
post #3 of 3 Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
I also got the same problem here, but I wasn't on an actual track. I drove a F430 though, so it might be a bit different.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode