F430 430Addict...The making of 430 Scuderia Babino - Ferrari Life
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
430Addict...The making of 430 Scuderia Bambino

Extracted from the thread I started over at FChat..

07th December 2010
X'mas came early for my 430
X'mas came early. Best ornament I've ever got and its not gonna hang on the tree in the hall, but on the 430. Kudos to Andrea of Capristo USA for getting my the parts to make the twin sound right (i.e. completely new remote control module, exhaust mounts, valves, gaskets, nuts and bolts). Picked up a pair of Fabspeed test pipes from a mate who never got around to fitting them onto his 430, and a set of used Fabspeed headers (without air rails). I know I'm gonna get the CEL but who cares. Life's too short. ECU upgrade next.

Sharing a pic of the setup. Gonna get it installed on Thursday. Happy hunting this weekend.

8th December 2010
Counting down one more day to installation...can't wait.

All I've done to the 430 at this point is add the BMC air filter panels. The induction noise becomes alot more pronounced but that'll be drowned out by the exhaust pretty soon.

More pix to share till the installation. Stay tuned for installation pix. Gonna set up camp at the workshop for a day.

10th December 2010
Just got back from e workshop. She's coming home tomorrow. Pix later. Sound-wise, valves closed it's pure F1 scream. If you think the Kreisseig is the highest pitch of all and the Capristo plays second fiddle, think again. The headers and test pipes push so much through the Twin Sound, e scream with valves in closed mode still screammmmmmssss....valves open, I can't describe the sound. Ive not heard anything like this before. The ground shook, my ear drums popped...it's that loud. I was scared ****less. The mechanic was laughing at me when he saw my expression.
Attached Images

Last edited by 430Addict; 10-31-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

11th December 2010
Got the 430 back earlier today. Had a shock when the mechanic told me hue car had a problem with low end torque, concluding that the setup was crap. I knew this wasn't the case so after rescheduling my entire plan for Saturday I made my way down to the workshop. I starter the 430 and she roared to life. Ok, I am happy with that. Yes, a bit loud and metallic and idling was a tad bit louder with valves closed, but heck, oil temp needle was still asleep that's why!!! Bloody idiot. Don't they even know they need to let the engine warm up before driving off coz if you didn't e 430 would drive like an old dog.

After the oil temp needle hit 70, I flicked the paddle and gave the throttle a little nudge. The first thing I notice was the throttle response. The rev needle sprang to life instantaneously. Unlike in stock form, the back pressure was extremely evident. Now it's almost non-existent, which worries me. This usually means a loss of low end power and response. I tapped the throttle further and the car surged forward. Ok, sound was fantastic, an authoritative kind of bark, still livable, no booming resonance in the cabin. Response was quick, much quicker than in stock form. Throttle was tons lighter and required less effort from the driver. Loss of low end torque? I don't think so. Throttle was lighter but tat does not equate to torque loss. It seems like my 430 was enjoying it's free flow pipes for the very first time.

Ok, on the highway, at 4000 revs, the resonance starts. Booming in the cabin becomes quite pronounced. Turn off the radio, toss the sub woofer, you don't need it anymore. But still it's not unlivable. It's kinda funny actually. When the valves pop open by the ecu, the sound unleashed makes me giggle in mischief. You just know everyone around is scared ****less.

Now all is is with the valves closed. The soundtrack is just awesome and the explosive response is no joke. Throttle off and you'll hear all the right popping sounds. It's just amazing as it brings back all the things I missed about my M6's exhaust setup. The throatiness is very pronounced, kinda transforms the 430 from a demure kitty to a jaguar in the heat. It growls, it barks and it burbled. And the blipping, omg, this is yet first time I heard my 430 blip correctly. It sounds so fantastic it becomes a joke when I find myself downshifting just for the fun of it all.

All in all, I love the exhaust setup. There's definitely gains in power and absolutely gains in aural enjoyment...tons in fact!

Hit the valve open button and it's an entirely different story. It releases laughing gas into the cabin via the aircon vents. Seriously, I can't stop laughing. It's so frigid loud, you feel like you've been strapped naked to the turbine of a 747 jetliner. In tunnels, you become an instant arsehole. No kidding. Nobody's going to like you, period.

I'll post some pix soon. This process is so damn infectious, I find myself thinking of wheels, brakes and more upgrades next.
post #3 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Opps! Forgot my introduction.

I'm F430Addict from FChat. My FCar is an 06 F430 coupe in Rosso Scuderia and tan interior. This is my very first FCar so pardon me for still giggling like a little girl in a candy store.

Pictures of the exterior below, before I get started on my mad project which begun in September this year.

I went through alot of pain getting the Scuderia bodykit to fit because it was not oem. the main reason why I went with aftermarket was because I was obsessed with weight reduction hence I opted for a full carbon fibre kit, Scuderia front, side skirts, challenge grille and lower bumper, yes, all in carbon fibre...not the layered over fibreglass aesthetic alternative.

Yes, it cost a bomb and I receive storms of flak all the time from my mates for painting over the carbon fibre as I didn't want to look like a rice-cooker unless the rest of the body panels are also in a similar carbon weave.

Here are the pix before I carry on with the build story...
Attached Images

post #4 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Madness started again on the 7th of September 2011

F430Addict - The Madness has begun...again (Scuderization)
The Madness has begun...AGAIN...I know.

Last than a year ago, and 1500kms, I upgraded my 430 F1 coupe's exhaust system to a set of Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed test pipes and a Capristo Twin Sound muffler. I was happy with the performance gains and the bonus symphony. Just four months ago I went ahead with minor cosmetic upgrades slapping on an aftermarket Scuderia front bumper, side skirts and challenge grille + bumper, all in carbon fibre (painted of course! I do not wish to look like a half-completed painting).

The factory five spoke 430 rims were also sprayed Grigio Silverstone (matte) and I was happy with the shade of gun metal. That kept me happy for almost 3 months. The factory spring height really bothered me. In fact, that made me detest my factory wheels. I know, the logical solution would be to lower the springs. Instead, I went back to the drawing board. I started researching on the aftermarket offerings for Scuderia exhaust systems. Hey, wait a minute, I was unhappy with the springs and the rims, why am I look at exhaust systems...again? I know, I mean, I don't know.

So I decided on the Capristo Scuderia muffler system from the Complete system setup (different from Capristo Scuderia Twin Sound). My tech ordered the parts from Cap DE but missed the summer hols so I had to wait for a month before they returned to work. During that time, I remembered I was supposed to be looking at wheels. I studied DPE, ADV1, Novitec, iForged but just when I was about to give up, I landed myself a really sweet deal on a set of Scuderia wheels (not scuderia style but the rims off the real mccoy). The wheels land 1.5 weeks ago and are at the spray shop getting stripped and recoated with a fresh layer of metallic gold.

The Capristo Scuderia exhaust landed yesterday and installation begun immediately. I paid a visit to the workshop just this morning and I got good and bad news.

Here's the good news. In just over 4 hours of work, the tech managed to remove my Capristo twin sound (had it wrapped nicely tucked away in a nice box) and cut all the holes necessary for the Scuderia exhaust to be mounted. The end pipes were hooked on, the muffler was in the engine bay, the Capristo exhaust mounts were fitted. It looks like it's almost ready to go. Everything looked perfect. No scratches, nice and tight.

To be continued....(bad news to follow) + pardon the low quality pix taken from my iPhone
Attached Images

post #5 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

7th September 2011

...continued

Couple of bad news. The valve covers arrived knackered. It looked to be terrible shape. It was like as if the Hulk sat on one of them. A quick call to Cap DE and they were willing to send replacements. Don't know why I had to go through this process in the first place. Don't the Germans do any QC before sending the parts out?

More bad news to come...
Attached Images

post #6 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The worst of all bad news...

There are two models of Capristo Scuderia exhaust systems. I've been through this before on FChat.

There is the complete system for a direct replacement in a Scuderia which comes with a set of headers, high flow cats and a competition muffler (different construction to the twin sound Scuderia unit). Then there is the twin sound muffler system which was designed for 430s to take on the Scuderia look.

We stated clearly in our emails to Cap DE that we wanted the muffler from the complete system, which apparently could be purchased seperately without the headers and cat pipes. Everything was fine till I saw its ugly cousin in the engine bay of my 430.

It's a freaking TWIN SOUND GODDAMMMIT!
Attached Images

post #7 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I know I should be a happy man now. In other circumstances, YES, I should be. But after waiting and planning for over 3 months to end up with a wrong system? NOT HAPPY!

The Tech was so excited when the parts arrived he didn't even notice the muffler design was not the one we ordered over a month ago. I don't blame him considering he didn't even know there were two seperate Capristo Scuderia muffler designs to begin with. He was frantically speaking to Cap DE the whole of last night trying to sort out this mess. I know he'll do good. I've waited this long for the muffler, I don't mind adding another two months to the wait just so I get the right parts.

Meanwhile, I'll post up more pictures so members who intend on taking this path have something to see before doing the deed.

More updates to come after I meet up with the tech later today.

Update: The Scuderia rims arrived ...new paint in progress
Attached Images

post #8 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Another look at the ride height that bothered me for endless nights and spurred me in the wrong direction of exhaust mods...sigh...I'm pathetic.
Attached Images

post #9 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Just sharing another shot of the Capristo Scuderia Exhaust mount. That thing is a work of art!
Attached Images

post #10 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

15th September 2011

Now I've ended up getting the Capristo Scuderia exhaust from the complete system together with the sports cat and heat shield wraps. Hopefully that cancels the CEL that I've been getting since I slapped on Fabspeed headers (without cats of course) and Fabspeed testpipes. Fingerscrossed on this one but if any expert would like to chime in on this matter, that'd be much appreciated.

Not sure if the sound volume is going to drop but the thought of losing the boomy cabin noise particularly at 3000k revs is welcoming. The test pipes were great but you've just got to get past that titanic of a resonance at 3000k revs. It's really hard on the ear drums.

The sports cat from the complete system are huge and the honeycomb will be glowing red when on load hence visible from the rear through the end pipes. I know this is no biggie but these are the tiny things amongst many others I love about this particular exhaust setup that makes me want to get it so badly.

Thanks again to Rob. One call and that was all it took. Sending payment today, ship out tomorrow, get it next week, car should be back on the road end of the week. Perfect!

Oh! That reminds me. Got to get the Scuderia wheels that have been painted put back on the car.

Oh yes, and the Titanium wheel caps arrived today in the mail.

And as per popular request, watermark sized down, flare effect minimized. Hope the audience is satisfied.
Attached Images

post #11 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

16th September 2011

Got my Scuderia wheels back from the paintshop. Completely stripped the oem ones off the dull paint and gave it a nice coat of oro lucido del champagne (not the gawdy gold). Not sure how it'd look on a Rosso Scuderia 430 but we'll know pretty soon.

PS: Old news. Most would have seen this video...best part is at 3.24mins.

http://youtu.be/iZS0_8VT_4Q?t=3m24s
Attached Images

post #12 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

17th September 2011

More gritty images for the visuals-hungry crowd....

Wheels delivered to the tyre shop... Gold Scuderia wheels on the ground....superb contrast with a possible TDF blue don't you think?
Attached Images

post #13 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Side profile shot of the 430 project car...and close up shot of the wheel with the titanium wheel cap...

I know, it needs to be lowered. Will be done next week when the exhaust arrives.

And new brakes...that'd be for Mrs Santa to stuff into my really huge X'mas stocking!
Attached Images

post #14 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

19th September 2011

Did a quick photoshop of the possible outcome when the 430 goes in for the exhaust works and lowering end of the week.

Not too shabby eh? I like it. Lowered but not slammed.
Attached Images

post #15 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

24th September 2011
The exhaust has been fitted. It arrived at 12pm yesterday and by 5.30pm it has already been shoehorned into my 430. This morning thd techs will be lowering the springs. I'll pick her up in a couple of hours. Should be good.

The Capristo sports cats are huge!!!
She's back! Lowered, scuderia Capristo exhaust...just short of stereo which goes in on Monday.

A quick review. Car is alot quieter. I am kind of disappointed. No more sharp metallic high rpm shriek. But definitely more power due to now-present back pressure. Low end improved alot and much quicker off the line and making half as much noise as she used to. Valves closed the car sounds like a regular sports car with sports exhaust...very deep baritone but still prim and proper. Very tame and decent. Valves open on highway sound is a bit too soft for my liking compared to my previous exhaust. Not as much kick. Loudness would be 75% of before, sharpness suffers a major loss. Heard a mate's scuderia on larini muffler and cats and that screams!

But still she makes the right noises, crack and pop. With the heat wrap blanket, engine bay temperature significantly lower. This is no bull. The blanket works!

I'll post pix tomorrow. Just returned from an hour long test drive, need an iced cold beer.

26th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SfefVan
Very very well done buddy! I'm glad you got everything back. That's an impressive mod all together !

Just keep in mind one thing : before, your engine was screaming in a very unhealthy way. Test pipes or small sport cats is really not the best choice for the engine without reconsidering many other things. Now, you have a very healthy sounding car which I'm convinced is still much much louder than any stock F430. After some driving, you'll find out the very subtile metallic sound of the Capristo exhaust, especially the headers make a fantastic sound. It's far from just screaming

Ask a buddy to drive your F430 and drive behind your car with another car, windows open...you'll be very impressed by the new sound

Thanks mate. I agree. It is definitely screaming in a healthy way now. This must be the real sound of a Capristo. And not the metallic high pitched scream which Larini or Kreisseg offers. One thing I found out though, with the test pipes, you'll get a pitch that high it'd make Scuderia owners throw out their stock exhausts. That's what happened to a mate of mine who went on a long highway drive with me in his Scud. He was so pissed that he couldn't hear his own car at all.

Loudness aside, the car really suffered at the low end. There was absolutely no torque at all. Backing the car into the porch was kinda like gunning the 430 down a long empty street. It's that loud.

Now with the Capristo Scuderia Cats and the Capristo Scuderia muffler from the complete system, the torque is back in heaps at the low end and mid range. She really pulls and pulls and pulls. With the valves closed, she pulls really hard without making a hell lot of noise. Which is perfect. When the valves are open, she bellows...with a slight F1 bark that is 25% down from my previous setup. At idle, she burbles with a really nice deep...and I do mean DEEP tune. Previously, she sounded like a beat up truck with loose valves clackering away and metal plates smashing against each other. It was sharp and painful to the ear.

I'd say I'm 95% satisfied with the outcome of this project. 5% due to me missing the sound of my previous setup. I'm sure the 5% will be gained back eventually.

Now some pix as promised.
post #16 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

26th September 2011
Another shot from the side profile...

Hey, who cares about the wheels right? It's all about the exhaust.

Here's a teaser.
Attached Images

post #17 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

28th September 2011
I know the bumper gap looks a tad bit wide, it's just the camera angle, rest assured. Haha...before the critics zoom in on that.

The original exhaust arches have been covered with a similar net used by Ferrari. I want to keep the rear bumper this way instead of swapping it over to a Scuderia rear. I find it unique this way.

Now if only I can get some shots of blue flames gushing out the Scuderia end pipes....
Attached Images

post #18 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

5th October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCH
So 430 Addict what is your honest opinion vs expectations wit the Capritso full SCUD exhaust system is it worth circa 15K USD fitted ???

Richard, definitely worth every single cent. The entire system is a work of art. You'll get a superbly balanced performance exhaust with the right amount of back pressure for good torque down low, mid range pulling capability till the red line. With my previous system, the test pipes really killed it all for me. Sound was fantastic though as I found out that with test pipes you'd be able to get the highest pitch out of the Capristo 430 twin sound exhaust. That was the only way. Sports cats kill 90% of the pitch. Down side would be the CEL and even if I ignore its existence often assuming its due to the missing cats, thats not the safest way to go.

However once I changed back to the complete system, I wouldn't say there is a huge difference in performance for the headers. Perhaps a dyno would show the difference in figures but on the road and in terms of sound, there is no big difference IMHO.

The sports cat from the complete system is alot bigger in diameter than regular cats hence allows much better flow than oem whilst retaining a healthy dose of back pressure even with the valves on the muffler set to full open mode.

In my previous set up, hit the gas and you'll hear the noise before the performance kicks in. Now, hit the gas and the performance kicks in with the noise joining in the fun in the next instant. The difference is the improved response, much better balance.

At idle, my previous setup made my 430 sound like an angry beat up truck. The Capristo complete system gives the 430 a really high quality low bassy note that must not be belittled. It is the an aggressive sort of idle that normally comes in big displacement engines (e.g. 6 litre V12 engines) and it really gives the 430 a 'don't mess with me' stance as you roll down the streets.

I hope this helps rob you of 15K from your end of the year X'mas shopping budget. It's worth every cent, though the missus would prefer it going to a Birkin bag.
post #19 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

7th October 2011
I'm on a roll.

My Scuderia steering wheel is on route.

Bought my Carbonio carbon fibre airbox lids this morning.

I know alot has been documented about the horns in the factory lids and how they give the sweet induction noise which completes the entire aural experience of piloting one of Ferrari's finest. But I just love the shape of the Carbonio lids so I guess its aesthetics over function. I'll post a review once the parts are fitted. Then we'll know for sure if the Scuderia steering wheel is in fact a no-brainer plug and play mod. We'll also know how much a difference in induction noise I'd be losing when I swap over to the Carbonio lids.

18th October 2011
Some photos of the installation process for the Carbonio carbon fibre airbox lids.
Simple job and the lids were really affordable from Ricambi. I'm pretty happy with the result.

The Carbonio lids come with performance filters but I kept my BMC filters as I felt they were of a better build quality than the Carbonio ones.
Comparison between factory lid and Carbonio lid...what a huge contrast! Have not driven it yet so I'm not sure how dumping the horns will affect the induction soundtrack.
The final result. I'm happy with the engine bay now. Have heard heaps about CF yellowing in the heat but I've seen for myself Carbonio lids fitted in another 430 which has been driven over 15,000kms at constant 36 degrees atmospheric temp with no issues at all. Hopefully mine stays that way.

God, I love my Capristo Scuderia system. It's starting to open up now. Was driving her hard yesterday after fitting the Scuderia steering wheel (which the rev meter LEDs doesn't seem to work, but will take Stef's advice to swap the wheel node ecu) and the exhaust note is starting to change to a nice metallic ring. I really love it. So often I find it too quiet but I was beside the car when the tech revved her up to 5,000K and my ears popped!!! It's really nice and loud and crisp!
Attached Images

post #20 of 948 Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

19th October 2011
A proper review...

Previous setup: regular capristo f430 twin sound with fabspeed headers and test pipes.
Muffler volume is technically similar though the regular twin sound looks smaller it is in fact twin cylinders stacked on top of each other as opposed to two smaller boxes sitting aside each other in the capristo scuderia twin sound.

With the capristo scuderia twin sound, you don't need any special cats or headers to hook ip the system. Basically it will hook up to any cats or headers you've got. So in my case it was fabspeed test pipes. I didnt get a chance to put on capristo headers with fabspeed test pipes and the capristo scud twin sound. Sorry, but my tech was working on an hourly charge. Lol...he was pissed to find out that he had fitted the wrong muffler in the first place qithout checking with the sales manager.

Sound wise, it's similar to the regular twin sound. Due to the test pipes, the idle is raspy and aggressively loud. Headers with test pipes really pushes the twin sound (be it regular or scud) to the max. It's the loudest you can get. Even a murcie can't hear itself when gunning down the straights beside my car. It's that loud. It screams. Sharp, raspy, aggressive, rude and attention Grabbing! I love it! Trouble is with the test pipes, the low end really suffered. At cold starts and low rpms it was like driving a beat up truck. Can be embarrassing at times when a honda can take off the line much cleaner than a 430 that sounds like thunder. I've seen my mate's 430 coupe who took on my regular capristo 430 twin sound on his stock headers and cats and the sound is 95% subdued from my previous experience. It's a nice low bassy tone without much depth. At high rpm, it's got a thin metallic ring to the note but that's about it. It's much cleaner than e stock exhaust note but not enough to raise any hairs.

So my take is if one wants to perform a scuderia conversion on a 430, they are better off if wanting a twin sound scuderia capristo exhaust to put on a decent set of headers and test pipes or high flow cats at minimum. Else you'd be disappointed with the result. Sound wise I mean. The twin sound, regardless of design, is not going to turn your car into a beasty sounding rocketship unless you perform other exhaust mods to unleash more exhaust flow. It's like a trumpet. Give it to a small sized bloke with small sized lungs and you'll only get this loud. Give it to a fat **** with ten times the lung size and you'll get a friggin massacre!

The sound is very different to my current setup which is the capristo scuderia complete system which runs a header set to a high flow cat that is different from tier regular high flow cat due to the enlarged cat size and pipe diameter. I didn't get a chance to measure the cat or pipe diameter but vie got to say the pipe diameter is at least five times that of my fabspeed test pipes. The volume and bass you get out of the complete system is phenomenal! At idle, it burbled really heavily and though not as raspy as before it is still quite aggressive. Low end torque has impure Ed tremendously despite not having it dyno'd yet. Picking off the line is quick and easy. Can't seem to make any mistakes there. Sound comes along with performance. Blips really bark and slaps like a hammer.

If you study the construction of the Capristo Scuderia twin sound system, the pipework is similar to the regular twinsound muffler except placement of the valves. So when the regular twinsound valves are open, it's in reality a straight thru to atmosphere type of exhaust path rather than going through a "more direct unobstructed" path via the muffler box. So this explains for slightly lower raspiness in the Scuderia twin sound. The raspiness is still there just not as rough as in the regular twin sound. Valves closed and you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference. Decent versus Devil. Thats the ingeniuity of the Capristo valved systems. On test pipes, the scuderia twin sound offers only slightly better low end torque as compared to the regular 430 twin sound. And I do mean only slightly. Lifting off at the lights is only slightly better with lesser hesitation. But the sound with testpipes is to die for! It's just so loud!!!

But then again, I wanted a balance between sound and performance. Initially, the Complete system was a letdown in the sound department. It wasn't raspy, it wasn't sharp, it just wasnt what my exhaust used to sound like. It was deep and bassy. Something I wasn't used to. It roared, instead of screamed as in my mate's Larini Scuderia (sports cat and muffler).

It sounded heavy and deep, as opposed to the thin and sharp of the Larini system. But after a couple of hundred Ks, the exhaust started to open up. I'm now used to the deep bassy idle, which is a nice change especially with the return of low end torque. Made the 430 sound like a twin turbo 6.0L V12. The exhaust note remains as a nice bassy growl till it opens up at 4500Ks, and thats where the metallic ring comes in with a moderate sharpness but enough to numb the ear drums. Bring the revs higher to 6500K and its starts to scream. The Complete System's high flow cats does attenuate the scream pitch by approximately 30% but that is something I can settle for. The car just pulls and pulls. No shortage of backpressure even at 6500K...it just keeps on going. Amazing stuff.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode