360 My Maserati Spyder is Faster than my Ferrari 360 Spider - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
My Maserati Spyder is Faster than my Ferrari 360 Spider

I have the great fortune of having both of these fine automobiles. I've had the 2002 Maserti Spyder for many years and the 2003 Ferrari 360 Spider for a few months.

I absolutely love both cars! The silver Maserati has a subtle elegance and is easy to drive. The red Ferrari is more of a head-turner and is a fine display of Italian styling.

I must admit, I thought the Ferrari would be faster. 5 more HP and 800 lbs lighter....... but slower off the line than the Maserati. But I guess the 56 extra ft lbs of torque make the difference.....

Anyway, I still love both vehicles and have a big smile on my face everyday when I drive them. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Are you measuring a time around a track or just a straight line sprint?
post #3 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

No formal measurement. Just my impression off line around town, etc.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCarNut View Post
No formal measurement. Just my impression off line around town, etc.
Do you have the power to weight ratio comparisions?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 258
Off the line I could see that, but that is only if you ease on. If you do a hard start (build up the revs a bit) the 360 is quicker. Once moving the 360 will be a lot faster. I have driven both and would have to say that the 4200 series is slower anything beyond 10-15 mph. Heck mine says I am never less than 10 even at a stop.

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!
post #6 of 12 Old 10-22-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I still think my Maserati Spyder is faster than my Ferrari Spider. Definitely faster in the 1/4 mile. I race people all the time on the street and the Maserati seems much faster 0-60. Maybe because I straight piped the Maserati? I have no idea but I am surprised. Same horsepower but Ferrari is lighter but Maserati has more torque......
post #7 of 12 Old 10-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I still think my Maserati Spyder is faster than my Ferrari Spider. Definitely faster in the 1/4 mile. I race people all the time on the street and the Maserati seems much faster 0-60. Maybe because I straight piped the Maserati? I have no idea but I am surprised. Same horsepower but Ferrari is lighter but Maserati has more torque......
Straight pipe would definitely help.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 92
Quote:
I have the great fortune of having both of these fine automobiles. I've had the 2002 Maserti Spyder for many years and the 2003 Ferrari 360 Spider for a few months.

I absolutely love both cars! The silver Maserati has a subtle elegance and is easy to drive. The red Ferrari is more of a head-turner and is a fine display of Italian styling.

I must admit, I thought the Ferrari would be faster. 5 more HP and 800 lbs lighter....... but slower off the line than the Maserati. But I guess the 56 extra ft lbs of torque make the difference.....

Anyway, I still love both vehicles and have a big smile on my face everyday when I drive them. :-)
Might I suggest to really awaken both vehicles you check out the Formula Dynamics Drive by Wire Enhancement Module for the 4200 and the F-1 Enhancement Module for your 360. Both of these modules really do a great deal for your throttle response and clutch engagement. Very positive reviews by all the owners who've purchased them but talk about waking your car up off the line.... whew.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions. (702) 430-1040

Thanks

Cyril
Attached Images

Last edited by Cyril @ Formula Dynamics; 10-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Quote:

That is what i was thinking when i bought my Maserati Spyder. A friend of mine had already purchased a Ferrari 360 Modena not the Spider. I know that the Modena is a bit lighter than the Spider but listen to that...The very first days i was driving my Maserati though for sure that it was so fast that my chances to race with my friends modena were great. After playing with some cars like Boxsters, Audis and many others i observed that i was not so fast even if my car is 4.2 litrer with lots of torque. Later on it was the time for my car and my friends 360 to go around the city and have some fun. I can assure you that my car was not only slower but the differences with various ways of racing the cars (rolling, different gears and rpm, from 0-100 etc.) were serious. I was very dissapointed after that and i could not believe that after trying many times with the Modena to be even close, the Ferrari was always in front and the gap was growing as the we were speeding more. The only time my car was in front of his car was only when he tried to beat me using 4th gear and me using 3rd gear rolling from 4000 rpm. Both cars are stock except the exhausts. Both cars use handmade exhausts. I know that my Maserati is heavy but with approximately the same engine block with the Modena i think that it is unexpected for my car to be a lot slower! The only explanation i can give to my self is that the Maserati does not have a very good grip and it is spinning a lot even with new tires in comparison to the Ferrari. By the way...I love my car...But my next car will be for sure a Ferrari...
post #10 of 12 Old 12-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Quote:
Your 360 must be f1. The 360 will smoke the 4.2 if driven properly not only on a track but in a straight line. Perhaps your 360 has issues or needs a tune...
post #11 of 12 Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

What are the power to weight ratios for the two cars?
post #12 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
I dont know the exact numbers but very similar HP a bit more torque for the Mas but the 360 weighs ~20% less.

At th end of the day I guess who cares. If it was all about speed you would buy a different car - z06,zr1, GTR, etc. Silly to even mention it. If you race it most likely wont be in the Maserati.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode