Help? 430 Scuderia Buyers Guide - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Help? 430 Scuderia Buyers Guide

I will likely be in the market for either a 430 Spider or a 430 Scuderia by next spring. Would appreciate everyone's advise on what to look for when buying.

Buyers Guide: 430 Scuderia

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
If a Spider, the latest models have the fastest gearboxes. I believe it is the Superfast II generation. Why not a 16M?

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I will likely be in the market for either a 430 Spider or a 430 Scuderia by next spring. Would appreciate everyone's advise on what to look for when buying.

Buyers Guide: 430 Scuderia

-
- PPI
- Check the carbon disks
- Check the clutch
- Check the tires (indication for some strong track abuse)
- Check the Service book
- If buying from a first owner, you should get thea little red leather booklet in a red protection named "VIP" which shows in pictures the production of your car.
- The car should come with pouch (including a led light) all booklets and with a protection "pijama" for the steering wheel, the seats and the whole car.
- Also a battery loader cable with transformer should come with it

I have never heard of any serious problems with the Scud. Great car, last of a series (430), fast and very good to handle.

Where is space created for it ?

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50

post #4 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 06:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
The stripe - my favorite is the 16M stripe ... all of the stripes seems to hold it's value of orig cost.

Leather seems to be frowned upon - I like the Alcantara even though I have no idea what it is.

The netting material on the seats concerns me - foresee something getting hung up and tearing it.

IMO current market on a good 3- 5k Scud 08 175 / 09 195 / 16M 250

IMO hard winter 08 160 / 09 180 / 16M 235
post #5 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
If a Spider, the latest models have the fastest gearboxes. I believe it is the Superfast II generation. Why not a 16M?
Can't explain it but just not a fan of the 16M. IMHO a Scud needs to have a hard top.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Can't explain it but just not a fan of the 16M. IMHO a Scud needs to have a hard top.
In your case it's easier between 16M and Scud Berlinetta, you already own an F50 so a Berlinetta Scud adds nicely to your stable and is truer to the lightness concept. I needed to suggest the 16M since you are also considering a Spider.

Then again, since you have so many hardcore cars, why not a late Spider, nicely equipped? It will take you farther before it starts messing with your comfort "chi" and it is sporty enough to bring a smile on your face. A 430 Spider is great open sports car driving at its best.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #7 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
-

Where is space created for it ?
Thanks for all the tips.

Audi A8 will likely go to make room I know, so sad.

Last edited by Boxer; 09-17-2011 at 08:02 AM.
post #8 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
In your case it's easier between 16M and Scud Berlinetta, you already own an F50 so a Berlinetta Scud adds nicely to your stable and is truer to the lightness concept. I needed to suggest the 16M since you are also considering a Spider.

Then again, since you have so many hardcore cars, why not a late Spider, nicely equipped? It will take you farther before it starts messing with your comfort "chi" and it is sporty enough to bring a smile on your face. A 430 Spider is great open sports car driving at its best.
Very insightful and excellent advise. I think on this one a little less hardcore is probably the way to go. 430 Spider would be great car to tour in.
post #9 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Owner

Quote:
Very insightful and excellent advise. I think on this one a little less hardcore is probably the way to go. 430 Spider would be great car to tour in.
Boxer ... here is a car I have been eyeing for a bit.

It's my top choice color combination - curious of your thoughts

2008 Ferrari F430 Spider F1 for Sale - 1031905 - duPontREGISTRY.com
post #10 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 87
The car keeps a huge log. I strongly recommend you get a confirmation (even better if done in front of you) of brakes and clutch wear.

As an example, my Scud had 4,000 kms when I bought it. Brake wear was 4% and clutch wear 2%, which confirms no track use. A lot of these cars, at least in Europe are tracked. I even saw some units with tyres completely worn-out at the edges.

This is my personal taste, but a Scuderia spec should be fairly simple, and resemble as much as possible that of a race car. I chose a unit with no radio/gps (I find the speaker installation quite horrible), 4-point harness, and all-black alcantara option (stitching does not look bad). My car comes with tyre pressure indicators, which I find helpful to use as a proxy for tyre temperature when I am driving under changing weather conditions in mountain passes. Not a must-have though.

From my experience analizing the market for quite a long time, these are my conclusions:

-Stripes and LED carbon wheel are very valuable options. Cars without them sell much cheaper.

-Rosso Corsa or Rosso Scuderia seem to command a premium. Exotic colors definitely sell cheaper.

-These cars are mechancally sound and should not suffer from high mileage. However the cost of servicing should be reflected in the price if you are approaching any of the major services or parts like brake pads need replacing. This is nothing new to you.

If I can think of anything else I will let you know. Good luck!

Current & past: 365 GT 2+2, 550 Maranello, F430 Scuderia
Other: Mercedes 230 SL 'Pagode', BMW M3 E30 Evo II, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2 and a few other toys.
post #11 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Boxer ... here is a car I have been eyeing for a bit.

It's my top choice color combination - curious of your thoughts

2008 Ferrari F430 Spider F1 for Sale - 1031905 - duPontREGISTRY.com
Looks to be in very good condition.

White is a difficult color. Look great when clean but.....

Not sure about the speakers between the seats.

Personally I will likely try to find a manual but the F1 boxes on the 430 are pretty good.
post #12 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
Well I won't have much technical or real Ferrari insight, but here's my two.

Based on what you currently have in the stable I totally agree with what James Bond said.

The 430 is great for long rides and leaves your kidneys intact even after a couple of hours, and the F1 is a total joy to use.

You have the insane Ferraris, try the 430 for a distinguished, gentlemen farmers type lifestyle.

As for coupe or spider, this recent purchase I went spider, and I'm regretting it ever so slightly.

Are you a real top down person?

Not a once year top down person I mean.

Yes, the symphony is better, but the car feels different, there's a lot more to break and repair, and the top no matter how well maintained, IMO after a bit looks not so beautiful due to the fold wrinkles and such.

So subjective as most of this is, but I'd swap mine for a coupe.

The colored top on mine sold me on it, but I've had people tell me they dislike this look.

So, hope this helped, but the 430 is an easy car to own and a real pleasure to drive under most circumstances.
post #13 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
430 Spider would be great car to tour in.
Certainly is, I can confirm from FLED5 (and Capo's generosity). The 430 took everything that was thrown at it, which included plenty of snow and ice, and behaved with impeccable manners. Lugano to Amalfi in one day was a breeze.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #14 of 32 Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

I have started seriously looking around now with a goal of making an acquisition within the next six months. Despite some reservations from the inner purist, I think the Scuderia 16M will be the way to go as it offers both the hard core attributes of the Scud plus the benefit of open air motoring.
post #15 of 32 Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
May I remind you to your own words...!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #16 of 32 Old 10-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Owner

Quote:
I have started seriously looking around now with a goal of making an acquisition within the next six months. Despite some reservations from the inner purist, I think the Scuderia 16M will be the way to go as it offers both the hard core attributes of the Scud plus the benefit of open air motoring.
I am right there with you

Been watching the market for a bit - there were 4 16M's listed on e-bay from 260 - 290k. Two of the four just dropped to a buy it now of 250 and one sold.

I feel in deep winter that the 16M is a 200 - 215k car.

The Spider 458 will lower the 16M ... rumor has it the new 458's are being redesigned to have a lil Scud like kick when shifting.
post #17 of 32 Old 10-13-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I know......but I definitely want a raw more race focused car and a spider this time around and definitely dont want two seperate cars....so the 16M is the best option.
post #18 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
You are very right.
post #19 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
You are very right.
The biggest issues I have faced so far: 2009 Scuderia 1 owner

I made sure to get a car with the interior wheel well covers, for me, looks better.
Headlight condensation issue, just got them replaced under warrany last week.
If your car is even 1 day out of warranty, the answer will be "NO" from Ferrari
There is an idle / start issue on Scuderia's. If you start the car from cold, it will run a little rough, but if you turn your car off, and re-start, it runs great. This is something that needs to be done at a dealer, it is supposedly fixed with an SD2 or SD3.
You need to be extremely careful with the carbon door panels. I have a little routine of getting into and exiting the car. I never ever touch the door panels. When exiting, I just pull the door handle, then use my fist to push open the door on the little mesh map pockets. Keeps them perfect and finger print and scratch free. You still need to be careful removing your seatbelt, as a quick release will be like the 360's, a whaaaaap into the panels. I always let every passenger know this too.
For some reason, the passenger seat does not have the little seat belt strap?

The shifting between an F430 and a Scuderia is night and day under full throttle. I have driven both, and was not impressed with a 2007 F430 Spyder.

Really depends what you are looking for, since you have so many great cars, but Scud vs. CS, I would always take the Scud.

If you want an aftermarket exhaust, get one with valves, as full open valves on longer trips wears on you, but for around town, they are a ton of fun.

Let me know if I can help further.
post #20 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
The biggest issues I have faced so far: 2009 Scuderia 1 owner

I made sure to get a car with the interior wheel well covers, for me, looks better.
Headlight condensation issue, just got them replaced under warrany last week.
If your car is even 1 day out of warranty, the answer will be "NO" from Ferrari
There is an idle / start issue on Scuderia's. If you start the car from cold, it will run a little rough, but if you turn your car off, and re-start, it runs great. This is something that needs to be done at a dealer, it is supposedly fixed with an SD2 or SD3.
You need to be extremely careful with the carbon door panels. I have a little routine of getting into and exiting the car. I never ever touch the door panels. When exiting, I just pull the door handle, then use my fist to push open the door on the little mesh map pockets. Keeps them perfect and finger print and scratch free. You still need to be careful removing your seatbelt, as a quick release will be like the 360's, a whaaaaap into the panels. I always let every passenger know this too.
For some reason, the passenger seat does not have the little seat belt strap?

The shifting between an F430 and a Scuderia is night and day under full throttle. I have driven both, and was not impressed with a 2007 F430 Spyder.

Really depends what you are looking for, since you have so many great cars, but Scud vs. CS, I would always take the Scud.

If you want an aftermarket exhaust, get one with valves, as full open valves on longer trips wears on you, but for around town, they are a ton of fun.

Let me know if I can help further.
Very helpful, thanks. What type of tyres do you have fitted?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode