The Down Side - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 78
The Down Side

Just curious. Is there a down side for owning a Ferrari. Classics excluded. i.e normal use, to the store, errands, parking, out for dinner etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Yes. One is never enough...
post #3 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Yes. One is never enough...
Yea- Third Ferrari and I still feel like I have a bullseye, hey look at me painted on the car no matter where I go.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
I realise this is the 430 area, but thought I'd give an opinion from the V12 perspective. IMO, the big V12 cars really need to be turned loose out on the open road and exercised for longer periods than running around town doing errands, going out to dinner, etc. In this regard, they're more like thoroughbreds than quarter horses.

I also find myself not really wanting to take the car anywhere where it will be parked for an extended period, ie dinner, movies, etc.. Probably more paranoia on my part than anything, but we have some very malicious people in our part of the world who will go out of their way to key a nice car, not to mention the people (and their kids) in SUV's who are just plain unconscious about how they open those battering rams they call doors.

Can't say that I feel overly self conscious while driving the car, as it really doesn't draw "that" much attention, other than the occasional thumbs up. But then, Houston doesn't lack for exotics, and a 12 year old, conservative looking 550 just doesn't draw near the crowd that a brand new, lime green, in-your-face Gallardo does. And I'm quite pleased about that.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #5 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Eh, the cost?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #6 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
The downside is you have what 99.99% of the rest of the world dreams of.

... it's not a bad way to roll
post #7 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
I also find myself not really wanting to take the car anywhere where it will be parked for an extended period, ie dinner, movies, etc.

a 12 year old, conservative looking 550 just doesn't draw near the crowd that a brand new, lime green, in-your-face Gallardo does.
Yes, in that sense, John hits it right. To use a Ferrari as a daily driver means you have to accept the experiences they are subject to - i.e. rock chips, door dings, bumper taps, shopping cart hits, etc. Few of us are willing to take the chance or accept the resulting damage or depreciation.

As for the attention, yes there is a lot of it, regardless of model. But my experience is that how you respond to it matters most. If you're gracious, accomodating, and polite, the attention tends to be the same. Although, Wetpet is that way and the women still mob him....
post #8 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV-4606 View Post
Just curious. Is there a down side for owning a Ferrari. Classics excluded. i.e normal use, to the store, errands, parking, out for dinner etc.
You begin to despise every other car you drive...especially rental cars.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Yes, while you're driving it's ok but I do like to use the car as much as I can. The occational ride to nowhere is enjoyable sometimes but it is a ride to nowhere. I'm having to walk 1/2 mile to the store to park where no one will damage it. I am the second owner so it's not like I got it out of the box like my 308 was but still I consider myself the only owner of the car with only 1500 miles when I purchased it. I guess I just have to get over it. Hey dad lets take the Ferrari to school today uhh sure- why not. Thanks to all for your input. Vroooom
post #10 of 13 Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
hello all....im ready to purchase my first Ferrari, but my biggest concern is repair or parts....I have owned multiple porsches and parts were fairly easy to locate since they are more common than lets say a modena. Is a commom modena v8 easy enough for a good high end mechanic to understand? Or would I need to see a Ferrari dealer? I ask because I live in Fresno Ca and the closest thing to exotic here is a corvette......so with that being said....where do you all go for parts and repair?
post #11 of 13 Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Dealers seem to be hit or miss. mainly miss. certainly the basics of maintenance can be done by a good mechanic. Although these cars require special knowledge and equipment to work on they are not mystical beings. for something more complicated like a major, the car can be towed to the nearest expert. I'm sure in cali that can't be too far away. And with a good, sorted 360 that shouldn't happen often.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #12 of 13 Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
it's not the car......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
If you're gracious, accomodating, and polite, the attention tends to be the same. Although, Wetpet is that way and the women still mob him....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #13 of 13 Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by omz6 View Post
hello all....im ready to purchase my first Ferrari, but my biggest concern is repair or parts....I have owned multiple porsches and parts were fairly easy to locate since they are more common than lets say a modena. Is a commom modena v8 easy enough for a good high end mechanic to understand? Or would I need to see a Ferrari dealer? I ask because I live in Fresno Ca and the closest thing to exotic here is a corvette......so with that being said....where do you all go for parts and repair?

Welcome:
WET is correct. Parts are all about, that shouldn't be a problem. Ricambi has parts galore, and many sponsors, as Ricambi, provide other items too.
Download the buyer's guide here, and look over the 360 forums carefully....LOTS of good inner knowledge: GCALO here, has your model and well versed. do a search on both especially in regards to maintenance and purchase.

Fresno, has a ton of Ferrari's and you are a hop-skip up/down/west of any good mech. Not an issue IMO. BUT a honest, well trained Mechanic is a must or you'll be spending more down the road. GOOD mechs can be found on this site, such as BRIAN, and at times others but all are busy doing their job, and, honestly in these days one expects too much internet free advice.

IF you have a specific question of mystery, I'd post that, but othewise you may have tough times getting some responses. Most questions can now be answered in the new WIKI sections.

As in the Porsche, you are prepared for the Ferrari Life and IMO a better experience in 'being out there' and the driving experience/feel. Porsches are wonderful cars, but not a lot of zing in the daily types.

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 10-24-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode