Maintenance costs for 360 vs. 430 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-24-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Maintenance costs for 360 vs. 430

Hi everyone. I will be shopping for a used 360 or 430 in a few months. Can anyone PLEASE give me an average figure for routine yearly maintenance (probably at a dealership) for these cars respectively? I just need to get a sense of how much it will cost yearly, and if there are any catastrophic failures that may come in to play? I want a fun car for retirement that is dependable, only 5,000 miles a year. Thanks. -Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Annual maintenance will be about the same on the two with the only major difference being the cambelt change needed on the 360 every 3 years (about an extra $1-1.5k). However the big difference in maintenance expense will be in perishables. early 360s are now over 10 years old and a lot parts are now nearing the end of their life cycle. Engine mounts, ball joints, etc will all be near or over their use by date. For a common list of issues, suggest you download the 360 Buyers Guide. Ferrari Buyer's Guides - Ferrari Life
post #3 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Dollar figure?

Thanks Boxer. Can you give me a dollar figure per year for the costs? -Bob.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

No one knows? Anyone

No one knows what they pay yearly for their 360 and 430??? Anyone? -Bob.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
well. It hasn't been 24hrs. Maybe a little patience. I imagine exclusive of major unforeseen repairs, which could be all over the map, you are looking at regular maintenance of fluid changes. A lot will depend on the car you purchase. It could need a major in a week, it could need one in 5 years. My guess is the 430 is gonna be the cheaper of the two, but i'll wait for an owner to chime in. I imagine there will be some hesitation, as all cars will be different and many people are a little shy about talking about their finances and problems with the car on an anonymous forum. I would think the best source for an average yearly expenditure would be a good ferrari mechanic, not an individual owner.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Maint. on a 430

Can help with some of the numbers, for a variety of reasons don't want to post the numbers on a public forum, but feel free to email me at [email protected] and I can answer your questions.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you

Thank you James. I have emailed you. I don't know why anyone would be reticent to give a figure for what they have spent in costs this past year, Especially as this is an Anonymous forum. For goodwill,,,I can tell everyone that I spent $570.00 on my Jaguar XK, exclusive of tires and brakes. This was basically for the three year service. -Bob.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
the forum isn't all that anonymous. we all know each other. ferraris are pretty rare and some may not like to divulge personal information. Not sure how useful 2 or 3 random owners experiences will be anyway. I still recommend you try a few experienced mechanics. They usually will have a good overview of what a specific model is costing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
It's kind of difficult question to answer, unless one averages the maintenance costs over time. I haven't spent a dime on my 360 this year (other than gas) and only expect the cost of the annual fluid change this Fall before putting it away for the winter. But in previous years I've spent $1800 for timing belts and the other incidental stuff that goes with changing them (BTW - I've owned Ferraris for 20+ years and with 360's I don't buy into the 3 yr. timing belt change..... it's factory/dealer propaganda to err on the side of being overly cautious. I go 5 years between and that's more than reasonable). It has had the updates and service bulliten items replaced during its lifetime. A couple of years ago I spent nearly $6K for a new clutch and the usual "while you're in there" items. (only it's 2nd clutch installed at about 36,000 miles). It's had brakes, several sets of tires, and other misc. items over the years. It's an F1 car and in over 45,000 miles I've never had a problem with that system.
Back to your question about comparison between a 360 and 430, my semi-educated guess is the 430 will be less expensive primarily due to no timing belt changes. Otherwise, I suspect they will be quite similar.
Personally, I think the key is finding one that has been well and properly maintained and has had a normal amount of miles put on it. It's often the ultra low mileage examples that seem to have maintenance and/or reliablilty issues (just my 2 cents worth).
Lastly, it's probably wise to set aside a couple of thousand dollars per year to cover the big expenses that will ultimately arise.

Hope that helps a little.
Cheers.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks to all

Ok, thanks to all for kinda, sorta answering my question. I understand you may know each other and I understand a mechanic may give me an honest answer, but I thought if you guys could chime in with figures, the truth would be in the middle. I just wanted to get a sense of... once I buy the damn thing... how much a year will I be out to run it? Simple question to me. -Bob.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbernst929 View Post
I just wanted to get a sense of... once I buy the damn thing... how much a year will I be out to run it? Simple question to me. -Bob.
Bob, I agree, your question is a simple one. But it's also general in nature.

993s response: "... it's probably wise to set aside a couple of thousand dollars per year to cover the big expenses that will ultimately arise", is about as simple and general as it gets.

The rest of his description seems to sum up the "average" experience and should give you the "sense" you're after.

For anything more detailed, you should ask a local shop. Having that conversation is also a good way to develop a relationship with them, something you'll need just as much as the maintenance funds.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
This is not bad to use as a comparision for the different models:

DK Engineering - Servicing - Ferrari Fixed Price Servicing
post #13 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 200
Do you change exhaust phase variator along with timing belts and tensioners on the 360?
post #14 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbernst929 View Post
Ok, thanks to all for kinda, sorta answering my question. I understand you may know each other and I understand a mechanic may give me an honest answer, but I thought if you guys could chime in with figures, the truth would be in the middle. I just wanted to get a sense of... once I buy the damn thing... how much a year will I be out to run it? Simple question to me. -Bob.
Bob search in the 360/430 section for prior posts on the topic. If pressed to answer without knowledge of the vehicle history, year and usage IMO I would reserve $1600 annually, add $3k every 3 years and have a rainy day fund equaling 10% of your selected 360 or 430 purchase price. This should cover recommended maintenance, consumables and comforting you with the fear of the unknown.

Last edited by BluNart; 10-19-2012 at 08:49 AM.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
I agree with 01BluNart. I have effectively made my 2008 a garage queen 3.4k miles thus far therefor the cost of ownership is relatively low. It really depends on how you use it. I had a Maserati I used as a DD for a few months and killed the clutch immediately. So...no definitive answer.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
$2,500/year, that will cover your belts every 3 years and your clutch when its needed in a few years.

I am a little over $9,000 in 5 months of ownership, if that kept going I would be over $20k/year but I fully expect that I am all done until belts in 2 years and I expect I will need a clutch then too so I have to increase my $2,500/yr for the next 2 years but I really believe you can cover all normal stuff for $2,500/yr.

Oh and my car is my daily driver so my costs will be more than most.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
I posted a reply to this thread until I noticed it was 15 months old and deleted my post.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
I posted a reply to this thread until I noticed it was 15 months old and deleted my post.
My mistake, sorry I started the dated post reply. I either need glasses or a bigger smart phone - I tried deleting, no delete button?
post #19 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
I do it all the time. Brian Crall used to enjoy catching me at it all the time. If you use the edit feature, there is a delete this post or do not delete this post choice, but it is only up there for a relatively short period of time

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode