Trickle Charger for 360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-09-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
Trickle Charger for 360

Given the recent battery issues I had and the pain it was (especially in the Texas heat) to access the battery to attach trickle charger and eventually replace the battery, I'd like to look into other options for the future. I know there is a port in the truck for an OEM trickle charger. I imagine those are expensive. Anyone know the price? And do I have to go with the OEM ones to fit this port or are their aftermarket versions more economical? And I see 2 numbs with press and twist caps next to the trickle charger. What are those for? It would be awesome if those were battery terminals but I think that would be entirely too easy (and sensible) for Ferrari to design that way ;-)

Thanks again for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
The factory battery charger was an optional accessory, about $1200 IIRC. However, when you ordered that option, they added a little pigtail under the access panel in the front compartment.

You can usually always find the chargers on eBay, they run about $400-500. I got a pigtail from Ferrparts, I think it was $80. Installation takes all of ten minutes.

Best option by far is a Deltron charger. They come with two types of connectors, one attaches directly to the battery terminals and allows for quick disconnects. You just have to remember to disconnect it before driving off. I use a small red "remove before flight" tag from my aircraft.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
any trickle charger will work fine. no need spend a lot of money.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 17 Old 07-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Owner

Agree with Ed, the Deltran is about $25. No need to spend more, it does the job.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
$40 for a decent Battery Tender. They come with a pigtail you can semi permantly attach to the battery. When car is not in use just plug the end of the pigtail into the battery tender. Make sure you get a tender or float charger and not a charger.

I have a friend that has a motorcycle that lives in a unheated shed. He keeps the tender on it when he's not using it. He just replaced the battery after 6 years and it was still good. We just convinced him it was time after 6 years even though there was no problem.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #6 of 17 Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I use C Tek chargers (who I also believe supply Ferrari) on all the cars. Never had an issue.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
The connector end of the pigtail sits just below the louvers out of sight. I made a little hook tool out of some really soft aluminum welding rod that won't stratch the paint to fish it out. I normally don't set the tender(or anything else) on the car but did it just for the pic.

You can install the pigtail anywhere you think you will have easy access. I've seen people mount them under the dash or inside a wheel well. This worked out nice for my car since it is close to the battery and was easy to route the wire.
Attached Images

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #8 of 17 Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
Thanks to all for your help!

KK, does the charger you have on your 348 also work for a 360? Does it hook to the port in trunk (hope so) or directly to the battery underneath the passenger floor?

Thanks again and happy driving!
post #9 of 17 Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 AM
Owner

I have the same charger, it works on any 12v car.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
Super easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCarNut View Post
...does the charger you have on your 348 also work for a 360?
Of course. Any quality 12v battery tender will work fine. I prefer and chose the Deltran but there are several other excellent brands (some mentioned above) as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCarNut View Post
Does it hook to the port in trunk (hope so) or directly to the battery underneath the passenger floor?
Intended hookup in the car is on the floor under the access panel behind the drivers seat. Simply attach the pigtail lead that comes with the charger to the clearly marked "+" and "-" terminals in there and stub it out near the driver door. Tender itself stays plugged in to 110v wall outlet permanently and lives wherever it's convenient in your garage (I attached mine to the rafters). When car is parked, just plug tender into pigtail and close driver door with lead snaked underneath. That way it's impossible to enter the car without seeing and unplugging the charger. Super slick and has worked flawlessly for me.

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
I swear by them

I keep my Ferrari and motorcycle plugged into a smart charger all the time.
My 2000 Yamaha R6 still has its original battery. Works great ( but yes by now is on borrowed time - I just want to see how long it goes even though I know that I may get inconvenienced when it does ).
My 348 battery was run dead twice ( forgot dome light on and the alternator died and I drove it until it stopped ). When they tested the battery after changing the alternator they were surprised that it still checked out fine.

I figure that the two tenders I own have easily outperformed every stock in my portfolio !

Greg

"The ride is the reason. The destination is just the excuse! " - Mr. Joe Katz
post #12 of 17 Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
I've had no trouble with my Sears Diehard charger. $30.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
The connector end of the pigtail sits just below the louvers out of sight. I made a little hook tool out of some really soft aluminum welding rod that won't stratch the paint to fish it out. I normally don't set the tender(or anything else) on the car but did it just for the pic.

You can install the pigtail anywhere you think you will have easy access. I've seen people mount them under the dash or inside a wheel well. This worked out nice for my car since it is close to the battery and was easy to route the wire.
I use that same one - for all my toys.

Probably dropped it 15 times - works perfectly!
post #14 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Look behind the driver's seat to see if you have a factory installed pigtail connector

Mine did

I'm using Battery Tender, always plugged in when not in use

Killer, I think the a/c flags belong to the taxpayers
Get me one and I won't tell anyone
I promise
post #15 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
Killer, I think the a/c flags belong to the taxpayers
Get me one and I won't tell anyone
I promise
I think I have a spare and a small key-chain sized one my riggers made. PM me your address and I'll send you one.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
tender

i use the same battery tender as KK Race....it works fine,,,it was cheap to buy,,and it does a great job of keeping my gel cel completely charged...years ago i couldnt figure out why my 328 s battery would lose its charge over long periods of not driving my car,,,i forgot about the analog clock,,,i know it doenst draw much current,,,but it was enough to cause my battery to get low...ever since ive been using the battery tender,,,problem solved...
post #17 of 17 Old 08-19-2011, 05:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
I think I have a spare and a small key-chain sized one my riggers made. PM me your address and I'll send you one.
Won't ask, won't tell. Thanks!

PM sent.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode